PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Wow, files on a finished stem? Thats, vicious! 8O
No viciousness involved. :lol:
The area that was filed was subsequently sanded, and the file itself was #3 cut and top quality (meaning it left a smooth surface).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was just funnin' ya. :mrgreen: I use a fine file just in front of the button to remove oxidation, and sand the rest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was gifted with a fine freehand briar, a Thompson house pipe stamped West Germany, but the Vulcanite stem w/P-lip, just wouldn't stay polished. I could get it back to black, but it went all grainy gray oxidation after every smoke. Preferring fishtail bits anyway, I opted for a new tortoise shell acrylic stem with the same gentle bend, and it makes a magnificent pipe. Sometimes fighting the oxidation just isn't worth it to me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very fine instruction! Thanks again, George.
I have to admit I am of the quick and dirty school: hot water, detergent and the scrub side of a sponge. Wipe dry with some buffing involved, then a very thin coat of mineral oil. No, they are no where near a gorgeous as real work with carnauba buffing, but they look good to me. Also, I have only a few pipes with serious oxidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.