PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
So Ruger had a promotion going for a few months to get free guns. They assigned point value to there firearms and depending on how many you sold you could get certain rifles. For instance a standard 10/22 required 75 points. I sold enough guns to get the new 10/22 Takedown model and had about 50 points leftover. I can't wait to get the gun and start accessorizing the bag, it is going to be the basis of my BOB. :mrgreen:

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Well I could have gotten two regular 10/22's and sold one and upgraded one, but I could never upgrade it to split in half and fit in a backpack. I also could have gotten the new Ruger American .30-06, but I have a .30-06 and lever action 30-30 for my hunting needs. To me it was just hard to pass up a rifle that my wife could easily handle and could be used very well in a survival/Bug out type situation. Also if I want down the road I can buy a standard 10/22 used for cheap and do all the upgrades for target shooting. I definitely put a lot of thought into what I wanted and figured if for some very unforeseen reason I don't like it....it was free and I can sell it for about $350 used.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I've had a regular 10/22 for about 25 years now and love it. If I had a chance to get a takedown I'd jump on it.
Congratulations.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
You can legally sell a firearm you own to anyone of the proper age. You have to do due diligence, though because if they are a felon or someone who isn't allowed to own one, you can end up in hot water. That goes double if they use it in a crime. Any retail seller has to have a Federal Firearms License and must do an ATF background check on anyone who buys.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
You can legally sell a firearm you own to anyone of the proper age. You have to do due diligence, though because if they are a felon or someone who isn't allowed to own one, you can end up in hot water.
To go a bit further, if you're constantly buying and selling guns with the obvious intent of making a profit or living from it, the ATF will probably come knocking at your door (and not politely either). They consider this to be "engaging in the business." However, if you occasionally sell a gun or two over your lifetime to another private owner you're fine.
Also, Baron is correct about selling to people who are legally not allowed to own one. However, this is within reason as well. For instance, if I sell a gun to a guy at a gunshow and obviously did not know him previously then you're pretty much in the clear. However, if your best friend is a felon and you sell him a gun, you really can't say "oh I didn't know he wasn't supposed to have one!"
Of course the law varies from state to state.

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
In California, private party transfers have to executed by a FFL (Federal Firearms Liscence) holder. You exchange money with the buyer, then the FFL holder takes possesion of the gun and the background check and 10 day waiting period applies to the purchaser as though he were buying it directly from the dealer.
Tjameson, I hope you enjoy your nice, new toy!

fireman03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
As expensive as ammo is now, it's hard to beat a 10/22 for value and fun. Anyone can shoot it, too. Congrats.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
You can legally sell a firearm you own to anyone of the proper age. You have to do due diligence, though because if they are a felon or someone who isn't allowed to own one, you can end up in hot water. That goes double if they use it in a crime. Any retail seller has to have a Federal Firearms License and must do an ATF background check on anyone who buys.
not exactly true.. most states allow a face to face transaction but if you are mailing in state or across state lines the gun can only be shipped to a FFL. there are pages and pages of regulations you must follow if you don't want the ATF to coming knocking.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Congratulations for the score, tj! I work in a gunstore too, just part time for fun and we sell a lot of Ruger 10/22s. Just an all 'round perfect little gun for just about everyone. I really like the new takedowns too, and you're right about the practicality of the small size once in its case.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I don't own a gun. I have was thinking about buying a 22 just for fun but then I moved to the city. No place to shoot it.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Thanks everyone!!! The Takedown is synthetic with stainless barrel and receiver. Jameral is exactly correct on selling firearms from person to person in California, its called a private party transfer. California has very strict laws governing the selling and buying of guns as well as how a gun is configured. For instance, all guns sales are 10 day waiting period, no magazines larger than 10 round capacity, anything larger than .22lr that has a pistol grip must have a fixed magazine or a magazine that has to be removed using a tool often referred to as a "bullet button". All reasons I'm very happy to be movin back to Arizona next June.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Love the regular 10 22, when you get a cahnce to shoot it, send me a pm, I would like to know how the accuracy is in the takedown model, and if it stays zeroed when you break it apart

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Gratz Tucker! I love 10/22's. Here's mine with the walnut stock. Since the pic I have added a Volquartsen trigger assembly. Now the much lighter trigger pull is as smooth as glass. No slop like the factory 10/22 triggers. Very fun and super cheap to shoot!
347f61b9.jpg

I don't own a gun. I have was thinking about buying a 22 just for fun but then I moved to the city. No place to shoot it.
Photoman, if ya look around I bet you can find a few indoor ranges. I like the great outdoors, but indoor ranges are fun when you are stuck in the city or the weather is crappy.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Beauty of a 10/22 Chris! I think that trigger may be my only mod on this rifle. JC there have been several tests done where they zero in the Takedown take 5 shots then break it apart put it back together and repeat it stays true to zero with or without optics, it really is a great design.

Status
Not open for further replies.