Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Get Off My Lawn

(55 posts)
  1. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There’s been many discussions about making a PipesMag app or changing the website itself. I just want to say, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I like this forum setup just fine. Great layout and it works just fine. My vote is to leave good enough alone. The DGCF forum switched over to Crappatalk a few months back and I’ve had nothing but problems. Pop ads that cannot be closed, and lagging out on site halfway through typing a message. I’m sure there will be many who sing the praises of Tapatalk but I hate it and I have retired from the other forums that use it. Sorry for the rant but I had to say something after another and final visit to a Tapatalk forum.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agreed Seems to work fine for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agreed, my online bank changes its web site and it's never any better than the one before, Hell if it ain't broke don't don't screw with it.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I agree. This works fine for me on both the pc and Android tablet.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So that's where it came from. Good Bye DGCF forum.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. joeman

joeman

Login to Send PM

PM forum is good on the pc and the iPhone without any app optimization...if it's a vote...I say stay the course.

JoeMan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is the DGCF forum?

Mikethompson, love the Star Trek video.

I said it on the last thread about this issue, ain't broke, don't fix. The risks out weight the benefits.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. addamsruspipe

addamsruspipe

Login to Send PM

Totally agree with Dave. Like the site just the way it is.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvkk_Tce0Kc

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with all of the above.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cell phones are transfer agents of the Romanian Underground who live underground somewhere in the Carpathians until ready to strike the first blow of the revolution, at which point they will materialize as an army by spontaneous evanescent materialization from cell phones. Which phones is still not clear, but they plan to shed the blood of the corpulent bourgeois of the US first. FBI and CIA are working to intercept.

You are at risk! This is your only warning!

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Change is the only constant. We either go with it or we get left behind. To make some change on this site would benefit everyone here in the long run. Just sayin’.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^ Change, for the sake of change, is just as "thought provoking".

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We don't need no stinkin' Java or popups.

But a few tweaks would be nice, such as the ability to mark threads you want ignored, and ones to follow (the email notification doesn't cut it for me).

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know who everyone is but, I see no point in changing something which works well. And, left behind what? In what way? Are we in a competition?

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only change I want is more of it in my pocket!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@cigrmaster Dr Grabows Collectors Forum.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

Everything is perfect except uploading pictures, that needs improvement. There has to be a better way to get pictures from iPhone to a thread without taking 7 steps.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't post from my phone usually, but what system are you using? This is from Imgur

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. leatherman

leatherman

Login to Send PM

Damn, that tobacco looks delicious...

This forum is great, carry on chaps!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

The Kaywoodie forum made the same move to Tapatalk, I'm not a fan.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. missionpipe

missionpipe

Login to Send PM

I'm good here.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

There has to be a better way to get pictures from iPhone to a thread without taking 7 steps.

I gave up IPhone in favor of android. It's a snap to upload pics to the forum album.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. luigi

luigi

Login to Send PM

Change is the only constant. We either go with it or we get left behind. To make some change on this site would benefit everyone here in the long run.

So true. Seems this site deserves some modernization. Not saying it's not working but it could be even more convenient and user friendly if it existed also as an app. Not talking about Tapatalk. I would be ready to donate my "2 cents" if a professional needed some support.
    "My lawn"? I'm sure those who contribute or have contributed the most feel like they own it somehow but hey, your great experience which is highly appreciated by many people could look even more impressive with a more modern approach.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

We don't need no stinkin' Java

Misread

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A couple of things like numbering and dating posts, a mark showing you have a post in a thread, having a quote button in a post so you don't have to cut and paste, a notification if someone quotes you, ignore option, better search function, full screen configuration etc.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OMG, why not just a button that puts a random thought into a post, so we don't have to do anything but hit one button?

I'm in the old man camp, "don't change anything, and Get off my lawn!"

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny...those changes make everything MUCH easier and LESS complicated. I love it here...really do !! But this website is like manual on the column....Totally Outdated.......

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I give derek a lot of credit for brainstorming those suggestions. Nobel laureate Linus Pauling was asked how he would come up with a great idea. He responded, the trick is to come up with lots of ideas and let the really smart people pick out the good ones.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to think that, one day after all of the other forums are nothing but chirping crickets of solitude, they will look back on this one and see what worked best and why we didn't collapse into the abyss with the rest of them. Like when I go to buy a truck, I ask to see all of the trucks that don't have cameras' GPS, or any of the other Demonic stuff that kills vehicles early. The most simple things last much longer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, I'm with you on the cameras and that stuff. I bought a Ford Raptor without all that junk in it. But I did get power windows and power brakes....The things I'm talking about are in the power windows level...Here we are using roll down windows..

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I say, if it isn't broke don't fix it. We all have our own ideas of what may or may not make the forum better, but certainly all of our ideas cannot be implemented. The main aspects of the forum all seem to work smoothly. Creating a new topic is easy, posting on another topic is easy, finding topics is easy, posting photos... well that's pretty easy for the most part once you find an image hosting site that works well for you (piss off Photosuckit), sending a private message is easy, posting links is easy. Basically the forum seems to work as a forum should in my opinion. It is after all a forum. It's not Facebook, Twitter, or Instragram and I think to try and make it more like such would be folly. There will always be improvements to be made, and if the admins see it as necessary then those improvements will be implemented. I, for the most part, regardless of what changes I'd like to see, feel that the forum is just fine as is.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see no need for "bells and whistles" when the basics work fine. Type, hit the "send" button then, remember to proofread, hit edit, make corrections and edits. What could be easier? Proofreading before sending is suggested I suppose.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like this old school format quite a bit. The biggest "modern" feature I miss is the option to go to the first unread posting in a thread you've been following.

I get mad when my grocery store decides to rearrange. It's never an improvement and now I have to figure out where they moved the string cheese and extra small condoms again...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get mad when my grocery store decides to rearrange. It's never an improvement
    I'm a butcher for a grocery store and I think most of us that work there agree. Every so many months some yahoos that don't work in the stores decide "we're going to move this here, and move this there, and flip flop this and flip flop that... then we're going to discontinue this item even though it sells very well and replace it with this item that we couldn't pay someone to take, and blah blah blah blah blah...." It irritates the customers, and it irritates the employees.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony: You're in the customer service business then there's the guy at corporate who looks at computer projections and such. He's in the profit business and really doesn't care what the customer wants. He's all bottom line, what the suppliers will pay for shelf location and the like. Safeway is doing the same thing in Alaska and I find myself buying more and more through Amazon, much to my chagrin. I'd prefer to keep locals employed but, I won't buy second rate beef and am fairly intolerant when my regular products suddenly disappear.

I suppose there's a line which "corporate" will not cross but, they do not seem to have found it. At least Safeway/Albertsons hasn't. Somewhere falling customer base v profits have to meet and then the piper must be paid.

Stay strong laddie, retirement gets closer every hour you work. And look after we, the pesky customer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The biggest "modern" feature I miss is the option to go to the first unread posting in a thread you've been following.

Jay- On the main forums page, if you click on the far right, where the "time since last posting" is, it will take you to the most recent post......... not sure if that is what you were asking though.

Example: On the what are you smoking thread, click on the far right, where it says "22 minutes ago", and it will take you to the latest posting. If you click on the thread title it takes you to the first post........

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a butcher for a grocery store

Do you use a band saw ? Or a hacksaw ?

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get mad when my grocery store decides to rearrange. It's never an improvement

My wife mentioned the latest "moving things for no reason" idiocy at the local grocery store included moving tampons to the health food isle. Although I don't understand this practice of changing things for no reason, what I really want to know is who thinks these are health food?

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

People on pills, cocaine, and LSD invented “health food”... let that sink in for a minute.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

The main page format works just fine. BUT, the PM feature could be a lot better, with the ability to create paragraphs and format properly, and I would love to see a page up or page down next to the posts.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And, old format or not, why can't we clean out old messages from our inboxes?

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

why can't we clean out old messages from our inboxes?
    You can, Jay. To the right of each message is a square. You click on those to check the messages you want to delete, scroll down and click "delete messages."

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can we just revert to a listserve?

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

You can, Jay. To the right of each message is a square. You click on those to check the messages you want to delete, scroll down and click "delete messages."

Anthony, that only works with messages that you receive. Messages you send can't be deleted.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony, that only works with messages that you receive. Messages you send can't be deleted.
    No. I don't believe you... *exits out of this page.... goes to Private Messages.... scrolls down to Sent Messages... * Aha! You're wrong! Well actually you're mostly right. I have one message I recently sent to Chasingembers that he hasn't read yet that has the option to delete. All the others say n/a where the checked square would be. I'm guessing as soon as that message has been read, the option to delete will disappear.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

A couple of things like numbering

You can use the # button under every post to see the post number. Clicking on it will automatically change the url.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Every couple of years, Kevin clears out old, Read, Private Messages. That is the only way those messages can be deleted (he posts a warning before deleting).

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually don't find upgrades to be improvements. In theory, I would like to be with the cohort that enjoys and embraces change, seeing the inevitable progress with each proclaimed "advance." But that's not my experience. Adaptations to changes take time, and users are lost in the process, and eventually it is often clear that the changes do not introduce a better experience nor efficiency. So I'm dragging my feet hoping that those who crave change will think again. I vote no.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This social media thing is just a fad, anyways.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sure, like computers, too. No one will ever need a HDD bigger than 640k.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From what I read regarding cyber-bullying shouldn't it more properly be referred to "anti-social" media?

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In no way was I disrespecting anyone on DGCF. The Dr Grabow Collectors Forum is home to many great guys I call friends. I give new technology a chance but I’m just frustrated with Tapatalk. I’m a member of the Instagram pipe community and I really enjoy the set up for that site. #latbombs

Until tapatalk is changed or updated I still say

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   josephcross, nhhiggy, loadclear, chasingembers, ashdigger, ben88, sholto, jiminks, tnfan, jpmcwjr, monkeylyf, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, danimalia, thefishguy