PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
OK. Someone keeps outbidding me on a pipe I want. Get off Ebay. It's Sunday evening. Spend time with your family. Let me have it! :crying: :|

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was looking at a Sasieni on Saturday and came within seconds of bidding, then bailed. A buddy on another forum then posted that pipe and won the auction. Whew, I hate to beat out a brother!

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
:laughat: :nana: haha it is not me, but I know that feeling my friend it has happened to me, and it goes over my limit and I stop budding on it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Snipers generally seem to overpay, which I guess they like to do. As a strategy, it's pretty stupid. EBay is simple. Figure out what you're willing to pay. Bid that amount or a little more, and forget about it until the auction is over. I've seen hundreds of snipers collide in the monetary stratosphere and pay 4-5 times normal market. If I'm selling, I want snipers because I'll make more money. As a buyer, I don't harbor any expectations.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
By my experience, bidding early is a sure fire way to lose an auction by .50 or the lowest increment possible. Sniping at least gives you a shot, until you run out of time.

If you snipe and still get beat, the buyer wanted it a lot more than you did and who knows their max bid amount.

As a buyer, I'd rather now show my hand until the last few seconds.

As a seller, it could go either way, so I just list my pipes as a BIN.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Snipe it or get sniped
+1
If I recall correctly, briarbid did it differently - in that if last minute bids came in, the auction would stay open. To me that seems fair and more in line with a real auction.
But ebay is set up in such a way that sniping is the most assured method of winning a bid.
Snipers generally seem to overpay, which I guess they like to do. As a strategy, it's pretty stupid
I've won a few pipes by choosing my price and using esnipe or sniping manually (which I prefer). Did I overpay? One could argue that anyone who wins a bid "overpaid" :roll:
In my case, I always had a good idea of what the pipe was worth - as well as what it was worth to me (not always the same thing). I then set my price accordingly. I have won some great pipes at excellent prices. Not once did I ever feel that I overpaid.
On the other hand, if one simply places a bid in the ebay system early on, everyone knows what they need to beat. By bidding at the last second, you're not giving anyone a chance to see how high you're willing to go.
One can argue the rightness or wrongness of sniping all day long, but the system essentially requires it.

owen

May 28, 2014
It is very frustrating to 'lose' by pennies or cents but, what I feel I am seeing when someone has outbid me they may have put in a huge bid but have only paid a little more than me. At least thats how I talk myself down.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Snipers generally seem to overpay
Would you say this is an example of over paying? I was a little surprised at how much this sold for.
I don't know Savinelli prices, but I've seen an 8 Dot Viscount Lascelles. normally $800-$1000 tops, go for $2300+ when two snipers collided in the stratosphere in the last second. That would be an example, and I've seen beaucoup more over the years.
Your maximum bid doesn't show until it's met or exceeded. So it doesn't matter when you place it. If someone is going to dive bomb in the last second, your timing means nothing. It's simple. The auction is won by the bidder who pays more.
About the only time I hold off is when I identify one of those grimly determined bidders, the kind who makes 50 bids, raising the price in $2 increments until he's crawled over you. Then, I'll wait until the last minute of so.
And I never bid some ridiculous amount just to ensure that I "win". That's for suckers.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A sniper figures out the highest amount that they are happy paying and puts it in at the last minute. It definitely matters because if someone has put in a max bid in the eBay system they automatically outbid a bidder who uses a single bid system
If my highest bid is the highest at the end of the auction, I win the auction. Doesn't matter when I put in my bid. Doesn't matter when anyone else puts in their bid. Anyone trying to game eBay is fooling themselves. By putting in a bid that I actually mean, as opposed to "maybe I can steal this" of some other form of wishful thinking, I'm good whether the bid wins or it doesn't. I'm also saved getting wrapped up in duels or other forms of testosterone driven behavior. I study the listing, decide what it's worth to me, ask questions of the seller or ask for better pictures if I'm really interested, make a realistic bid, and forget about it.
I don't disagree that there are a lot of idiot snipers. There must be a ton of trust fund babies who have nothing better to do than overpay on a bewildering array of crap. I've no interest in competing with them.
Steal deals are found on badly posted or obscure listings and only when you do diligence with that listing.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On the other hand, if one simply places a bid in the ebay system early on, everyone knows what they need to beat. By bidding at the last second, you're not giving anyone a chance to see how high you're willing to go.
Nope. My maximum is not visible to anyone else. Nobody knows what they need to beat. They only know what is revealed by other bids. My best scores were when I simply placed a bid and walked away. The trick is knowing when there is a deal to be had. That takes work.
$440 for a mint Barling Straight grain, 3 mint Sasieni 8 Dots, a couple of 4 dots and a Comoy Blue Riband, along with other pipes. One bid and walk away.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A pleasure for me as well.
So the people who wait until the last moments of an auction, say the last minute or less, to place their bids, these being the people about whom I was, well, technically writing not talking, these people are not snipers. I've been misinformed.
Who are the snipers, then? And how to do you define those people who bid in those last moment, either manually or with the aid of an app, since they are not snipers?

Status
Not open for further replies.