PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
These pipes have a history in Germany where I currently find myself. And they are often very cheap on ebay. However they seem a little affected to me. I'm curious if anyone reading this has experience smoking this type of pipe. How do they smoke? If you smoked this style of pipe what are things you liked or disliked?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think there is a market in pipes in this style that is made for decor and not really for smoking. So you have to study the particular pipe to see which category it fits. The real smoking pipes in the style are rather dramatic and clearly made for smoking while seated, usually with an audience to appreciate their dramatic appearance. Unlike a quality corn cob pipe, which I'd feel comfortable smoking in jeans or a tux, I think these pipes have to be coordinated somewhat with your clothes, not necessarily Tyrolean togs, but maybe a bit dressed up. I wouldn't want too many chains and tassels, and wind caps make more sense outdoors. But these are interesting pipes, and the ones that are truly made to smoke are interesting examples of pipe makers' art. Welcome aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.