PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
All I could use your help. I am looking for help with tobaccos which are either German houses or European to try. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks. Oldmannk

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Well, there are a number of "European/German" houses to try. . . although you may find that some brands lead back to the same large manufacturer. Here are a couple off the top of my head...
MacBaren is probably the largest tobacco house in Europe (and maybe the world?). Based in Denmark.
Kohlhase & Kopp is a German house that produces some of my favorite blends, including the current Rattray line.
Reiner blends. Not sure who actually manufactures these, but they're blended by German Rudiger L. Will, who has a very good reputation for his blends.
Dan Tobacco is a German company that also produces a number of my favorite blends, including London Blend #1000.
Bob

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
J. F. Germain's "Mixture No. 7" is supposedly the most smoked pipe tobacco in Germany, if that helps.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
lestrout:
He's in Wiesbaden.
Oldmannk:
I'm curious why you're asking. Are you wanting to get a handle on European and/or German blending styles -- as opposed to a more American (or even British) profile? Or are you just wanting to support your country's/region's manufacturers? Or are you looking for a specific kind of blend?
I do think there is a "Germanic" style in pipe tobacco. German -- and many other, European -- blenders tend to rely more on African Virginias than the American varieties, which gives their blends a deeper, "darker" character that I really enjoy. You're also a bit more likely to find condimental quantities of Syrian latakia sprinkled among Cypriot leaf. In general, though, I find German blends -- particularly Rattray and Dan Tobacco blends -- more full-bodied and multi-layered than, say, British and American blends. I don't always want all of that in a pipe, of course! But when I do, I'm really glad these blends are out there.
Bob

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Per Kohlhase-Kopp.com, they produce blends under the following labels:
  • Ashton

Dunhill

Fancy

Ilsted

Pipe 66

Rattray's

Reiner

Robert McConnell

Samuel Gawith

Savinelli

Sillem's

Solani

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Cortez:
You're misunderstanding the site, I think. K&K DOESN'T produce Dunhill tobaccos, for instance.
K&K is also a distributor; I believe that list you're quoting refers to the products they distribute in Germany.
Bob

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
All,
I want to thank you for your quick responses and solid information.
Mr. Bob’s (rmbittner) question.

I was given a pipe as a gift and have decided I am going to smoke my pipe, slow down and enjoy life. I was a Cigar smoke for many years and tried all types from strong Maduro to Connecticut. I tried smoking a pipe about 20 years and could never get it to work. After extensive research on this site I have concluded that I was doing it wrong. LOL
To answer Mr. Bob’s question. My daughter is in school here in Germany and I will be staying here for a while. I am able to get tobacco from the states if I want some, however I have seen some post were they talk about not being able to get tobacco from European countries. I want to explore all options try new things. Also right now I am not sure what I like until I try it.
It’s not about a certain manufactured or a type of blend. I hope to develop my own go to blends soon.

I have tried Lanes 1-Q and really like it. I have also tried a house blend from The Pipe House in Koblenz called Anno 1933. Both which are aromatic and light blends. I am still looking to for a wow factor.
My goal is to make friends, learn, and share. So please let me know if I can help in anyway.
I am located near Frankfurt.
Bryan (oldmannk)
PS any members located in Germany that want to get together for a bowl. just hit me up

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
JFG is on the Isle of Jersey, which is sort of Great Britain. Planta is another most excellent house in Germany.
J. F. Germain's "Mixture No. 7" is actually made by Planta in Germany along with a couple of other Germain brand aromatics. They are also distributors of Jersey made "real" Germains blends. They also make Presbyterian and Petersen & Sörensen blends such as, Bankers, Campanile etc. But most of their blends are aromatics.
Here's their catalogue: http://www.planta-tabak.de/etc/Planta%20Collection%202013.pdf

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
For me one of the best blenders there is is a Hans from HU Tobacco. He is very friendly, just send him an email with your wishes and he'll recommend you tobacco and send you samples as well.

jogilli

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
Bryan
I wrote this once but it didn't take... Anyway.. As mentioned Hans for HU Tobak http://www.hu-tobacco.de blends some great tobacco... Sunset is my favorite to date
Since you live near Frankfurt, take a trip,down to miltenberg and visit falkum tobacco...falkum.de he has one one the nicest b&m around.. Great tobacco selection and a lot of pipes
Also checkout the pipe shows 2014. Lohmar is coming up here this spring and it's a wonderful show... Speyer is in the fall... And check out the budingen pipe and art on Facebook... It should also happen this year but no dates have been published
James

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
On a recent trip to Munich, I stopped into Pfeifen Huber. A beautiful store with a very large selection of pipes and tobacco. I was informed that their house blends are made by K&K. I enjoyed my visit and purchased several of their house tin tobaccos and a Huber pipe made by Vauen for them.
Here's a link: http://www.pfeifen-huber.de/
Definitely a must visit when in Munich. They also have a huge Scotch Whisky selection upstairs.
CACooper

Status
Not open for further replies.