German Pipes (Ingo Garbe, Hasso Baudis, Karl Joura)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Been collecting German pipes of a certain style for quite some time. I guess I'd describe them as classic shapes with a strong Danish influence. Here is most of the collection:
83167f40-60aa-421c-ad12-54e291e4dd55_zpstt8pnvwi.jpg

The first three columns (left to right) are by Ingo Garbe, who I really dig. The last column contains pipes by Hasso Baudis (top four) and Karl Joura (bottom five).
I'm really interested in hearing if anyone else collects German pipes.
Cheers!

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Wow, nice collection. I do not collect German pipes, but I do like the look of many of your pipes.
Uh-oh. Now I have another group of pipes I.... must.... resist

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Yeah, Barbi's pipes are excellent. A long time ago, I had one that I loved but traded it away in a fit of stupidity. Sadly, that's not as uncommon an occurrence as I'd like....
Brad, I'm a great admirer of your pipe collection. Someday I hope to emulate it. I have a couple of Safferling pipes, too, but they weren't on this table. I also really like Carsten Ringling and Yves Backstoner as younger carvers (though Yves is Swiss, not German).
Mackeson - don't get started. It's just another rabbit hole!

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I'm practically obsessed with Safferling's pipes lately. I just got one. Should be here by next week. Besides The Briary and eBay, do you know where I can see/buy more Safferlings? His website is in German... and despite my lineage, my German isn't so good.

I don't see much Danish influence in German pipes. The Danes are relaxed, loose, and free flowing, yet with a touch of Viking Arrrg! German pipes are always too stiff, rigid in their designs, with too much attention to symmetry and some weird sense of perfection. Safferlings are a tad better, and yes, I see some Danish influence in those, but the rest... Plus, I have found German pipes to seem bulky and weighty in my hands compared to Italians and Danish pipes. Not that they are heavier, just "seem" weighty. I've always gotten the idea from their work that the German pipemakers were tightasses, more sliderule and numbers than beauty and elegance. Just my $0.02.
But, if I don't like them, more for you guys, right?

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Michael, I get what you are saying. The pipes shown, especially the Garbe's, don't have much Viking war cry in them. I guess the Danish influence is so extensive that it can mean a lot of different things. My thoughts were more along these lines....
300px-SixtenIvarsson_ClassicZulu3.jpg

2012-12-19_1713.png

s-l1600.jpg

Sixten Ivarsson, Bo Nordh, and Jess Chonowitsch, respectively.
Safferlings are really nice pipes (only have two but love them), and more free-ranging Danish shapes are lovely, too. But there is something about the restraint, precision, and symmetry of Garbe's pipes that appeals to me. And thankfully not to everyone...they are expensive enough, as it is.
Cheers!

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
lasttango - I've seen some Safferling pipes show up on Sybarite Pipes at good prices. Some of the other European sites might have them, as well. pfeifenstudio-frank.de had an estate last time I checked, and I think Marty Pulvers has a new one his site. Cheers!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Magnificent collection pipehunter!! Simply splendid!!
Cosmic: some pretty annoying German stereotyping there. Tightasses??? Weighty... slide-rules vs beauty and elegance??? Hmmmmmm... I can think of several million Germans and persons of German ancestry that could take issue with all that. Yeah... Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart... ugly and inelegant. Your $0.02 aren't worth a pfennig if you ask me. PBBBBBBT!!!!!

:nana:

I think that you are taking my analogy and applying it way broader than I intended. I am talking about the aesthetic "I've always gotten the idea from their work that the German pipemakers..."
This is no means how I think of German pipemakers in reality, but just an aesthetic reaction to their product.
There are subtle nuances in the language that you may have missed.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
I totally get your comment. Don't necessarily agree with your taste, but I do see what you mean. Personally, I like the restraint Ingo shows coupled with what I would call a certain sexiness or romance of curvature, at least in his best pipes. Definitely not for everyone. And definitely not as divergent in style as many of the fine Danish pipe makers (who I really admire, as well).
Cheers!

I don't have any region that I prefer 100%. Nor any pipemakers. Even Becker, my favorite pipemaker makes mostly pipes that I would never want. I am picky, but not unrestrained pickiness. I know what I like... and don't like. Sorry.
I think it's odd that almost all pipe websites divide them by region. It is neat to see common styles run through a region, but I think that if I never saw them all gathered together on a website by region, my views might be different.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Those are some beautiful pipes. Thanks for sharing that pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.