PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I've recently moved from Amsterdam to San Francisco, and brought with me some tobacco that I wanted to try and knew would be hard to find in the US. Amongst them, J. F. Germain & Son's Rich Dark Flake.
I haven't smoked it yet, but I've just opened the pouches to jar them, and bloody hell, it smells AMAZING!
I can't smoke in my current flat, so I thought I'd smoke it tomorrow morning on my way to work. However, it feels quite moist, so it might need some airing. All of which means it might be a few more days before I can actually taste the smell (so to speak).
So, let me satisfy my curiosity by asking you: what do you think of Rich Dark Flake? Also, I read somewhere on this forum that Stonehaven is very (and suspiciously) similar to it. Any thoughts? Because if it is, or if it's along the same lines but better, I must have it!
Anyway. Thoughts to quench my anxiety?

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
Rich dark flake is a lovely tobacco. One of the very best virginia/burley blends you can get. It is an easy smoke and stays lit with no possibility of tongue bite. It is smooth, satisfying and tasty. You've smelled it, and that's how it tastes. I don't find I need to dry it out much. I just rub a flake out and leave it for ten minutes before I pack the pipe, and that works fine for me.
I have a packet of Stonehaven tucked away but I haven't smoked any yet, so I can't comment on the comparison. But RDF is so good - and not very hard to get - that I know I don't need to be a Stonehaven chaser. From what I understand, if there is a difference between the two blends it is minor.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I'm a big fan of Germain's Rich Dark Flake, I've cellared deep.
I'd agree it taste likes it smells if you leave a little moisture in the flake, dry it too much and it becomes a fairly plain VaBur.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my review if it'll help:
You say you like Stonehaven? Then, you'll like this. Some say it's the exact same thing, but it isn't. This is Virginia forward with burley in a support role, whereas Stonehaven is burley forward with Virginia in a support role. The toppings are not quite the same either, though they are similar in their sweetness. I get a chocolate and treacle hit from it in different proportions than I notice in Stonehaven. The Virginia is earthy and dark fruit sweet with minor grass notes. The burleys are nutty sweet with a little molasses and earth. Has a mild to medium nic-hit. Burns slow with a consistent flavor to the finish; rich, creamy smooth and clean. Requires some relights at first, but settles down unless it's sopping wet when you pack your pipe. May need a little dry time, but I recommend leaving some moisture for better effect. Has no dull or harsh spots, and won't bite. Leaves a little moisture in your bowl, but no dottle, so it will burn to ash. Has a pleasant after taste and room note.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
moriarty / drennan: great tip re the moisture! I'll smoke it sooner then :D
JimInks: great review, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.