Germaine's is blending butera blends again.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
New Accessories
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Just figured I got an email back from john Germaine and they are blending the butera blends again and kingfisher has not been discontinued just a lot on the blenders plate.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Thanks for sharing that news. I like Kingfisher a lot. I had sent an email to Germain several months ago asking about Kingfisher but never got a response. Perhaps they were in negotiations to get the blends back. It will be nice to see that back and available again.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Nice info, now I can wait for it to never show up at any of the e-tailers and if it does it'll be sold out before I even get a chance to open the link to their site. :?

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Pretty much but the fact is it is now quality over quantity. I know I'm sad that I will probably never see a kingfisher tin available but there is a lot of great blends that are readily available. It is good to know it was not discontinued as most thought.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I've heard countless praises of the fabled Kingfisher blend. Can anyone compare it to another blend, so i can get an idea of the flavor and taste profile? IIRC, it has been loosely compared to stonehaven? Could be wrong, but just curious. I've had the Pelican and it was good, but did not knock my socks off and live up to the hype that has surrounded it for so long. The stuff I had was at least a couple years old as well, so it had time to mellow and develop flavor. Good blend, yes, worthy of endless searching and paying any more than retail, nope.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
See, the thing is, it isn't really like other blends. It has a very unique scent both in the tin and in the bowl.
In the tin, to me, it was earthy and wine like (think merlot). On fire sometimes it seemed like a woodsy burley and other times like a vaper. If I could find a substitute or anything remotely similar, I would smoke it. It was a crumble cake.

Dec 24, 2012
Sallow nailed it. Good stuff. I have 5 tins of it but hope I get the chance to add more if they do get their act together and start blending it again.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Damn, that sounds pretty good. Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. Guess we'll all just have to wait it out and see if it returns to the production line.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
It's a crumble cake like penzance. A little pressure and it falls apart into finely cut tobacco which makes it easy to pack and burn. In my opinion neither one is exceptional and I contribute a lot of the hype to the easy of preparation. That said I do like both and still smoke them, but don't bend backwards to obtain them

Status
Not open for further replies.