PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidas3

Lurker
Dec 14, 2014
Jerusalem, Israel
Hello, folks,
I'm a new member (few weeks now). I smoked a pipe regularly some 30 odd years ago and had to give it up but when I opened up a long lost mason jar stuffed with Georgetown Tobacco Co. blends I couldn't not start smoking again. My two favorite blends were Byzantium and, if I remember correctly, Special "D" or just plain "D". Does anyone remember these? Have any of you smoked them or know why they were discontinued? Does anyone know if "D" might have had its name changed? if Byzantium was blended for them by another house? If so, could it be related to Cornell & Diehl's Byzantium. If so, that would be brilliant. I wrote Georgetown Tobacco twice, asking these questions but haven't received an answer, so if anyone has any idea, thanks very much in advance! - All best, ;David

davidas3

Lurker
Dec 14, 2014
Jerusalem, Israel
Hi Newbie. There is that. You've got a point, but for me it would be a very expensive call from overseas. That's the main reason; beyond that, I thought it might be an interesting topic for discussion among old hands who might remember and actually have smoked them. If I'd called then I might not hear from someone who did smoke them, or at least knows about those blends.
Best regards,
David

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
It isn't a blend listed on tobaccoreviews.com as being made by Georgetown. I wonder if it was a re-named bulk blend they carried? If it was then it is surely available somewhere. Was it an aromatic blend? If so, C&D 's blend only shares a name. I'm curious about this 30 yr. hiatus?
Mike S.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
david - Altadis (now Sutliff) had an English/Balkan #525 named Byzantium. Georgetown may have used that one for a house jar. Since C&D was formed in 1990, if you ran across Byzantium 30 years ago, it couldn't have been C&D. However, C&D did get a lot of recipes and assets from The Atlas Blending Company, and this company had been around since the late 1800's. Atlas in effect did wholesale so Georgetown could well have been buying blends from them. P&C (http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/bulk-tobacco/?f_Brand=Sutliff+Bulk&w=byzantium) stocks the Sutliff, but this might be hard for you to get directly if you are 'international'. Maybe SP or 4Noggins can special order this for you if they don't normally stock it.
Either way, do you recall your 30+ YO experiences to be Balkan or at least Latakia based?
hp

les

davidas3

Lurker
Dec 14, 2014
Jerusalem, Israel
Thanks, Les. Looks like you rounded up the usual suspects, alright. I was just completing a detailed reply to your posts without realizing that the power adapter cable had pulled out of its socket and the battery had run down. I had to restart and, of course, lost the entire post. I'll try to cover the main points, but please excuse the brevity, this time around. I've got to get to some chores. It could very well be that the Byzantium purveyed by Georgetown was an Atlas asset and acquired by C & D, who kept the name, just as it could be the same Sutliff Byzantium 525. Israel is not listed as one of the countries that Pipes&Cigars ships to, but I'd like to try a taste test between the two. The reviews in TobaccoReviews.com were less warm to Byzantium than my memory's evaluation. Perhaps I'd romanticized its stature. Since I've taken up the pipe again, I've been introduced to two blends by McClelland, Arcadia and Old Dog, both of which appeal to me immensely. Back in the day, I sought out quality tobaccos and the best pipes I could afford and sampled endlessly, but could not have considered myself a connoisseur. I enjoyed a tobacco or didn't. This time around, I'll be paying more attention to the nuances of the tobaccos I smoke and their blendings. While I haven't been able to smoke the last few weeks because of a flue, these two blends kept my attention for the balance between smokiness, some tang, and a sweet nuttiness, So much so in varying proportions l liked, that I did not compare them to the Byzantium which still smokes well, if a bit cavendish'd. Speaking to Byzantium's Balkan roots in contrast to its Latakia base, brings to mind a YouTube review of G.L. Please's Abingdon by SmokingPipe's 1968Eric (would that be Eric Sykes?) Within his very positive evaluation he articulated, between puffs, a definitive, down to earth and workable rule for distinguishing between Balkan and English blends. If I understood correctly, for a blend to be Balkan, in contrast to English in nature, it must have a foundation, not just a note of oriental tobaccos. The orientals must be, if not dominant then most evident. This distinction works for me, though I don't know the proportion of oriental tobaccos to Latakia and Virginias in Byzantium. Now that I've heard 1968Eric's sensible clarification, I don't know how I'll apply it on the ground, perhaps it will inform my expectations?
In answering Mike as to my hiatus from enjoying the pipe for 30 years, I'll plagiarize myself from a recent email correspondence:
Until last month I hadn't smoked a pipe in 28 years! The unrelenting complaints of my wife and daughters kept a tight lid on my smoking enjoyment in the house and it just became too impractical and inconvenient to confine smoking on the porch. This declination of affairs, couple with the encroaching tentacles of political correctness as the years have "progressed' ended the experiment. This non-state of affairs might have continued for the duration, but last month, while cleaning out a forgotten corner behind my desk, I rediscovered hermetically sealed mason jars I'd completely forgotten about. So much so that one of my all-time favorite smokes, Balkan Sobrani 759 had been doing service for years holding small diameter wood screws. But there it was. The evidence lay before me. I'd stuffed oversized glass jars with unopened zip-locked bags of my then favorite tobaccos, cellared for future reference, as it were: tobaccos from Georgetown Tobacco Co; Special "D" and my other favorite "Byzantium" neither of which are available anymore. Ounces of the English blend, Persuasion next to the aromatics, Reverie and 1269. I also found an unopened can of Rattray's Red Rapparee. I'd all but completely forgotten about them.
When I opened the lid of one of the mason jars, glory hallelujah! The aromas that wafted out were all it took. I went looking to find my pipes, but only with partial success.
I turned up the magnificent meerschaum calabash and a Jensen bent bulldog (946 DANIA stampled on the stem) together with another Jensen, this one a billiard that has always smoked way too hot(!); and, my dad's hand-me-down Amphora billiard which never smoked hot but always had way to much dottle. Other pipes, I'd enjoyed for years were not to be found - a Savinelli and an Israeli freehand Danish style handful. In any case, I saw that I'd left my pipes in pretty good condition - they were wrapped in shoe bags, the bowls were not heavily caked and each had pipe cleaners inserted. A friend in the neighborhood happened to be a tobacconist. Sadly, he just closed down his small but very unique shop - besides a selection of fine tobaccos he carried the best of coffees and rare teas from China. He introduced me to McClelland's blends and S. Gawith's Skiff. I bought from him a new, rusticated L. Viprati Bent what looks like might be called a POY (though dI don't know what that means) and I'm breaking that in. A winter cold has slowed the process down by a few weeks but it's a fine piece and I think it already smokes a cut above the others (except maybe for the meerschaum). In any case, I haven't picked up where I left off, because the Dunhill's I also used to rotate through regularly, Ye Olde Signe, Royal Yacht, Nightcap and Morning Pipe, just don't taste the same (I'm uncertain as to whether it's the tobaccos or me). However, the McClelland's Arcadia and Old Dog, No. 22 Matured an Gawith's Skiff keep me focused on the present and looking to the future."
Thanks again, guys. Have a healthy and warm winter!
;David

davidas3

Lurker
Dec 14, 2014
Jerusalem, Israel
Right. Thanks. Of course, Pipe Of the Year. Why are they infamous? Hard to believe they carry the Viprati name and not to some standard. I'm breaking this one in and it appears to smokes just fine.
All best,
David

davidas3

Lurker
Dec 14, 2014
Jerusalem, Israel
Hi,
It's verified: turns out that Georgetown Tobacco Co. did go to Altadis (now Sutliff) for their Byzantium. Sutliff's Byzantium 525 Bulk is the exact same blend
Mystery solved!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo david - here I was thinking transit from across the pond and the Mediterranean would be several weeks, but today your packet showed up. I haven't put my hands on the Sutliff Byzantium that I know is around here somewhere, so between that and the traveling I've been doing, I haven't put together your packet yet. Now that I am back home, I need to make a concerted search.
How did you solve your mystery? Did Georgetown reply to your query?
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.