PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Martin seemed to have a lot to do with opening the Beatles to musical genres and cultures beyond standard rock 'n roll formulas. Sgt. Pepper brought in Indian music, old English music hall tunes (people don't discuss this much but it is huge and couldn't have emerged from American rockers), blues and much more. I think the Beatles had these ideas but Martin saw quickly and creatively how to do it, how to produce it. I'll have to look back at his bio, but I don't remember that the Beatles used Martin much to produce records in their solo careers, but maybe it was more that he receded more in visibility but still was active with them. I don't know how he got along with Yoko, which was a requirement for working with John Lennon in his post-Beatle career.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...went back over Martin's discography on his Wikipedia bio and it shows he worked with Paul McCartney ( along with Stevie Wonder on one production), in several instances long after the Beatles had disbanded. It isn't stated, but it sounds as if Yoko and Martin did not get along, or Lennon was antagonistic toward him after the Beatles break-up, but later recanted somewhat. Martin's death was announced by Ringo Star on social media.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The Beatles auditioned for Martin on 6 June 1962, in studio three at the Abbey Road studios.[27] Ron Richards and his engineer Norman Smith recorded four songs, which Martin (who was not present during the recording) listened to at the end of the session. The verdict was not promising, however, as Richards complained about Pete Best's drumming, and Martin thought their original songs were simply not good enough.[24] Martin asked the individual Beatles if there was anything they personally did not like, to which George Harrison replied, "Well, there's your tie, for a start." That was the turning point, according to Smith, as John Lennon and Paul McCartney joined in with jokes and comic wordplay that made Martin think that he should sign them to a contract for their wit alone.[28]

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The Beatles are the reason I started playing guitar in 1964. 52 years later I'm still at it. George Martin also played keyboards on some of the Beatles records-piano and harpsichord. He certainly changed the musical landscape for several generations.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
He also helped Jeff Beck incorporate jazz and fusion into his already strongly developed music. Some of his classical work is also still considered benchmark recordings.
I just saw a video of him hugging Yoko and both seem happy to see each other.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
He had quite a life, producing every Beatles album except the worst one.
Shouldn't that be the worst two? (drug addled White Album, plus the control freak Spector for Let It Be)

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
RIP Sir George---- :worship:

This man did so much for music, most of it behind the scenes... A genius, and sorely missed. The likes of Sir George don't come around often, smoking a bowl of Smoker's Haven Exotique now, reminiscing.

Here's a neat photo- my Aunt Vivian got to meet him in 1983!

xDdws56.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Shouldn't that be the worst two? (drug addled White Album, plus the control freak Spector for Let It Be).
Since Spector did the final production of "Let it Be", most consider that one to not be Martins work. I don't have any issues with The White Album. But production during their drug addled years are my favorites...

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
Geoff Emerick provided all the real magic, Martin was a great man, but the artists are nothing without the engineers...

Status
Not open for further replies.