PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Alot of you know Rich Lewis, and his fine work... his amazing billiards are an incredible treat... this is his son George's line, and it looks like the proverbial apple hasn't fallen too far from the tree (PUN INTENDED!) Nice stuff!
geolew014.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
It's one of those pieces that I appreciate but don't really like. I totally get what he was doing with the forward sloping plateau which is really interesting. And the matching slope to the smooth and rustic sections are also cool. But I don't think I'd buy it. Maybe there's too much going on for my tastes.
But a VERY cool piece.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
This goes for $175 on the Lewis Pipes web site, which is a VERY low price for a hand made pipe.

adam12

May 16, 2011
It's one of those pieces that I appreciate but don't really like. I totally get what he was doing with the forward sloping plateau which is really interesting. And the matching slope to the smooth and rustic sections are also cool. But I don't think I'd buy it. Maybe there's too much going on for my tastes.
I agree... a few details here & there but he is a young fella... and he has a pretty good teacher!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I think he's doing the absolute RIGHT thing by trying something different (and I think we all agree that it's different) and I'm sure he's learning the basics from his dad. But he's also smart by not overpricing his pipes. Too many young carvers charge too much too soon; they haven't proven themselves yet. But by charging a nominal fee, I think he'll get his pipes out there and start building a following.
Heck, knowing how little he's charging, I'm giving this pipe a 2nd look right now.

adam12

May 16, 2011
he's also smart by not overpricing his pipes. Too many young carvers charge too much too soon; they haven't proven themselves yet. But by charging a nominal fee, I think he'll get his pipes out there and start building a following.
I completely agree. It's astounding how many people are out there doing decent work - and they are new to pipe carving - but when you pick up their pipes off a table it's like WHOA STICKER SHOCK. Like where are these people coming from? They have no following, and they are trying to build their following on one principle: if I price my pipes out-of-this-world, people will perceive them as quality. And a guy like George Lewis, whose dad is very well-established, could be doing that - - but he isn't. He's doing it the smart way.
There are so many carvers who are doing amazing work for much less than the standard boutique rate - and I mean people who have been around for a while who are doing great work. Then, on the other hand, there are folks who show up at shows with pipes that are right off the workbench for 300 clams - and they haven't sold a single pipe! It is a hazardous business because, truthfully, many people have fallen by the wayside - "what happened to so-and-so??" "Oh they're not making pipes anymore."
It's nice to see a young carver who has lots of room to grow, who isn't charging an arm and a leg because they have good business sense to go with their growing talent.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Now that is a coincidence, I was just doing a little research on Rich Lewis this past weekend and was their website. If all goes well I’m going to stop by his shop on Thursday before flying home, and I can’t wait to see Rich and his son’s pipes first hand.

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
I have been to their shop before. It's small but they have some nice pieces in their, though a little too pricey for me.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
The only thing I think would make me like this pipe more is if maybe he had not rusticated the top of the bowl. other than that I like the shape and the lines are good.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Ah thanks. I think it would look better smooth. or rusticate the smooth part and smooth the rusticated part. just saying. Its like a big guy in an overly printed shirt to much going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.