PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is there a letter of certification about which train flattened that penny? As kids, we used to take coins to the train station when we were meeting our dads coming home from work. Early in grammar school, the trains we were meeting were mostly pulled by steam locomotives, mostly the old Baldwins if I remember. Selling the supposed funeral train pennies is pretty forlorn and shabby, but raises not an ounce of surprise. Forlorn and shabby is one part of the human condition, it seems. That lead locomotive on the Bush 41 funeral train was one donated by the railroad to the GHW Presidential library, and GHW actually got to drive the locomotive when it was presented.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Considering that the late President was flown by Air Force 1 to Washington, D.C. and then back again...

Is there a letter of certification about which train flattened that penny?

The first thing you learn in buying and selling things of value, is that a letter is worthless. Even if the letter is authenticated, there is still no way to be 100% certain that the letter is regarding the exact item in question. The letter and the item aren't intrinsically linked.

A penny squashed by Bush's train, or Abe Lincoln's train would be no more valuable than any old other squashed coin in the world.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
uXHkyth

My niece and nephew seeing 41 off as the train passed through Magnolia.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I stand corrected. I didn't know they were moving him from the Houston airport to his final resting place.

Status
Not open for further replies.