General Quality Of Under $50 Italian Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I bought a couple of Italian pipes four months ago, both said "Capri" on them. I sold one and kept one. 10 bucks a shot, took a gamble on a single pictures and a description of new. The one I kept was unsmoked. It smoked great from the get go. I have looked around and I think they were Leonessa brand pipes. I have picked up a couple more one with the name Whitechapel and Club A, 9 bucks a pop shipped.
What is your experiance with no-name or not well named pipes from Italy? I figured the $50 limit would make this mostly about basket pipes or other pipes that just say "ITALY" on them.

Jan 8, 2013
Only had one, an Italy stamped churchwarden. It didnt last long, I was not real happy with it. Looking back, I may have smoked it too fast, but still, I expected more than that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Capri is a respectable brand. Iwan Ries carries them. I think they are well manufactured from

good briar. They're low-priced but sturdy, I think. They won't impress your pipe smoking friends, but

they can expand your rotation (for new pipe smokers) or serve to go in your car, boat, vacation home,

or luggage, for a good spare pipe, as will many other low-priced but well-manufactured pipes. They

aren't heirlooms or works of art, but some of them smoke really well. I don't know Capri firsthand, but

I have a number of pipes in that category. PTM Amadeus, La Rocca, Cassano. Or for that matter,

Dr. Grabow Royaltons or Kaywoodies various models (Saxons are push-bit with no stinger).

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I got a bunch of pipes labeled "La Pipa, Italia" and they are great smokers. Mostly classic shapes, straight Billiards. In fact they are among my best Virginia burners. Grain is not bad and stemwork very ok for the price, $30 each.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
My first pipe was a fe.ro which is my go to pipe for aros, smoking it now. Took a while to break in but is great for aros, it's one of those that doesn't do well with English or Virginia tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.