PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

This pipe was VERY well used, but gently handled. There was a very good cake, but only a small, and even, rim darkening - no tar deposit on the bowl rim.
However, the owner didn't know what a pipe cleaner was. I soaked the stem in oxyclean for about 2 hours (minimal oxidation indicating a good quality stem), and then tried to run a cleaner through it. A thick stiff sausage of tar, the length of the stem, was extruded from the draft hole - never seen anything quite like it.
The shank was rank - and took me 3 days to clean - on and off - 2 rolls of toilet paper, a box of Q tips, a packet of pipe cleaners, a quarter bottle of bells whiskey, and 4 salt and bells baths. It is now spotless.
The briar is gorgeous - nothing remarkable, but flawless, and substantial - amazing shaping, and fits the hand superbly.
The stem is diamond tapering to a faceted curve and then to a simply sublime round draft hole.
I fell in love with this pipe the moment I held it. Now it's clean and ready to go, I know, for an absolute certainty, that it will smoke this a lot. It's simply superb.
image-e1410980395535.jpeg

image_1-e1410980469833.jpeg

image_2-e1410980603710.jpeg

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Good for you Klause. Looks like you did a great job and with all of the attention I bet she will be a great smoker.
Will you dedicate a certain baccy to this pipe? I have two bulldogs and one just LOVES Escudo and the other is a Va/Per or Va flake pipe.
Let us know the first time you fire her up.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Bulldogs and Rhodesians are fast becoming the primary shapes in my stable. I love the classic lines in this pipe. Nicely done Klause.
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a beautiful pipe. Is there a shape number? Are those Hallmarks on the band?

I assume it is French made?
I didn't know much about "Xtra" stamped pipes, this is very interesting and explains that stamped band.
Xtra and GBD Special were very early models who’s names indicated special final treatments and / or fitments. The standard quality was stamped simply with GBD.

K

klause

Gentlemen, thank you for the kind comments - I appreciate them, very much.
First off, apologies for the second picture, it seems to have 'mirrored' - my tech assistant is going to cop it later. Or, most likely, I will for being unappreciative - 'nuff said.
Yazamitaz, just before I acquired this I managed to get my hands on some Germaines Rich Dark Flake, which I have yet to try. Every time I look at this pipe the RDF just pops into my consciousness. Reckon it'll be the RDF. Maybe, just maybe, there is the possibility of some HH ODF, and/or some Irish Flake. They're the only ones that seem like they will fit the bill.
Patrick, your willingness to take in the waifs and strays is a credit to you, but, I just know this one is going fit right in here. However, should the unthinkable happen, and it disgraces itself, rest assured, you'll be the first port of call.
Al, there's no shape number, or COM. I've been all over it with a jewellers loupe, and nothing - just GDB in an oval, with XTRA perfectly centred underneath it. The silver band has GBD in the oval, silver hallmarks underneath that, and the A.O. Under those. The A.O. Puzzles me. This is usually the silversmiths initials (the pipe maker is already on there), but the only fella that I could match these to, tentatively, was knocking around in the 1760s - so he's out - also, his initials were boxed.
The silver marks are almost rubbed into oblivion. But, the shape of the cartouche's and the designs within led me to London, which I confirmed by the shape of the date letter shield. The date letter is impossible to read, but the shield puts this pipe somewhere between 1896 (unlikely) and 1935. The draft hole in the stem is perfectly round ( I love these they are just perfect), which suggests to me very early part of the century. The vulcanite is really quite exceptional quality, something I have only ever seen on these really old pipes. I once read somewhere that at one time vulcanite was a luxury option, while Amber and horn were more the standard. Given the quality of this, I can believe it.
I've researched all the usual sources for info, but if anyone has any other snippets, I'd be very grateful for them.
Oh! One last thing; this is a 'system' pipe, a la Peterson.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Klause:
I love GBDs, and their seconds, but Al really is our resident expert.
I'd call your beautifully reclaimed burner a Rhodesian, say the hell with it and smoke Nightcap out of it until I went to ground.
If you ever tire of it please shoot me a PM and we'll find a deal through burners, tobacco and cash.
Fnord

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Gorgeous pipe. Looks and sounds like this pipe has lot going for it. Needless to say you will surely enjoy it.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Pipe looks great! The AO would be A. Oppenheimer & Co. From pipedia,
"GBD became a British company soon after the turn of the century! In 1902 Marechal and Ruchon sold GBD to A. Oppenheimer & Co. in London."
To me, looking at your picture at 400%, the first hallmark looks like a Birmingham assay mark, an anchor. The date code marks from 1900-49 are fairly straight forward in terms of the font, a better picture of the hallmarks may yield further information.
Dave

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
And I yield to Dave!
From the shaping and button, I would have also guessed 1920's to the early 1930's. Dave nails the AO.
A really fine, collectible GBD. Where did you find this?
(This deserves to be in the British section, so I'm moving it)

K

klause

Tony, no doubts i will - first outing will be this weekend.
Fnord, I'll bear you in mind, of course, but.....don't be holding your breath in anticipation, eh? I think this is most certainly a keeper.
Dave, much appreciated - unfortunately the date letter is completely obliterated, and only the outline of the shield is visable (just). but, I concurr with yourself and Al that this is from the 20's, given the button and draft hole. Certainly no later than 1937 - I say this, as I read an article somewhere that the Xtra's ceased being produced in '37, while another puts it a bit earlier. Half the fun is the research. Can you confirm that they ceased producing them in the 30's?
Al, this was a fleabay find, purely by accident. The last few minutes were exceeding tense - I had a good idea of what it was - and i was immensely surprised it didn't go for a crazy price. Suffice to say that this set me back the equivalent of a tin of Toby, and a condor plug, at Irish prices - i think that qualifies it as a 'steal', eh?

May 31, 2012
The briar is gorgeous - nothing remarkable, but flawless, and substantial - amazing shaping, and fits the hand superbly.
Man!

What a great score.
...and to the contrary, I must say that I find the briar to be very remarkable, it just looks truly beautiful. This is the kind of old pipe that makes me question my preference for blasts, because even only in pictures, it exudes a tremendous warmth and seems to radiate with an intense aura.
You did a great job bringing it back to glory, and it looks to me as if its glories are quite deep and filled with intense purpose, carrying the strong spirit of those times past to the here now today and ready to do what it does best. I'm struck by how well-preserved it looks, how careful the owner must have been, because you say it was heavily smoked, yet it looks nearly pristine, it was surely a prized possession and I'm sure it is a superb smoker.
I yield to Dave as well.
Most definitely Alfred Oppenheimer.
And I've seen the same 1937 date for the end of the Xtra line in several different sources,

so I do think you're right about that.
I only have 1 pipe with an orific bit, a Genod allbriar, and when I first got it I didn't know it was like that, I was slightly disappointed to see it, but damned if it ain't super comfortable, I would have never guessed! So now I actually like those round bits!
Congrats on such a fine pipe and enjoy it very well brother!

:puffy:
Ifya ain't seen it, this N.A.R. blogpost holds some relevance here,

http://passionforpipes.squarespace.com/neills-blog/2010/9/16/a-victorian-era-gbd.html
images

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The thing about hallmarks, is that sometimes things can be inferred by what's not there, in other words, the remnant shape of what reamains of the hallmark. I'd still like to see a better picture of the marks, you never know.
Dave

K

klause

Troy, I believe it was a prized possession, and, it is again. The briar may not conform to modern standards of 'remarkable' - straight grains, flame grains, etc - but, you are right, it is actually remarkable. And, yes, it does have energy, exceptional energy - it exudes a peaceful happiness, a contentedness. Some may say, hooey. Don't care. This pipe is alive.
I have a few older pipes with the 'orific bit' (thanks for the correct term), and I adore them. The stream of smoke from these is perfect for me.
Dave, I'll see what I can do - if you can garner anything, I'd really appreciate it.

K

klause

Dave, these are the best I could do. Work your magic, please.
JasonPipeCloseUp.jpg

JasonPipeCloseUp1.jpg

Any advances on 1906, gents?
Troy, forgot to say, thanks for the link - cool little article, and very cool pipe. Cheers :)
Looking at this again, I'm wondering if the symbol on the left is the import mark for London. Maybe?
import marks

Status
Not open for further replies.