PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I’ve always thought companion pipe sets were just classy but I could never find a set that I liked or could afford. Inspired by the work off the benches of Dave (Danielplainview) and Al (SSJones) I decided to put together a set of my own. I had just the three pipes I needed for this project sitting on my bench awaiting restoration. All were stripped, re-stained and re-waxed. The bits were filed to remove tooth marks and then sanded and polished. For visual interest I decided to stain each a little different shade than the others. The result was a light, medium and dark example of the same style of GBD (9438). Judging from the bit type these were probably manufactured sometime in the 1960s for sale in the French and Continental markets. This style of bent Rhodesian has always been one of my favorite pipes. Packed into their leather case they make a nice set I can proudly take anywhere. Because each is a slightly different shade there is no confusion about which was smoked last or which should be smoked next.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Holy moly. Those turned out great! The stems look like black glass. Well done sir. Aside from the darkened inner bowl chambers, they appear to be brand new pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The last time I told someone "nice set of pipes", she sneered and walked off....
These are gorgeous, and your photography is superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.