PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've had this Le Martinet bulldog for about 35 years but never knew anything about it. I showed it to Dan Chlebove (Gabrieli Pipes and P&C Estate Restorer) at last night's club meeting and Dan believes that this was made by Dr. Plumb, a sub brand of GBD.

If anyone else knows about this marque I'd like to know more. It was made in France and has the shape # 2006.
B3wOD7L.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice rendition of a bulldog that has met the test of time. That's a uniquely upright bowl for a bulldog. Is the rim somewhat charred, or is that its finish? It looks well kept and well-smoked. Glad it has superior lineage too.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have two and both have GBD shape numbers. You don't see them very often and I presumed they were a "private Label" pipes because I have never seen that name on any list of GBD sub-brands. Mine are both in the 9438 saddle bit bent Rhodesian style and they smoke every bit as well as their GBD cousins.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, that is a 2006 GBD bulldog shape. I'd not heard of that sub brand either. A private label pipe makes sense.
Le Martinet is listed in "Who Made That Pipe" but as "unknown". Now, we know!
Here's the saddle stem, GBD version, a Seventy-Six grade (seeing this makes me regret selling it!)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I knew you'd chime in on this, Al. Thanks for the feedback. I did find several Le Martinet pipes on a few estate sites but no other real information. Dan Chlebove immediately recognized the Dr. Plumb signature saddle stem which I thought was very cool.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The bits on mine are more reminiscent of the French version of the GBD than the Dr. Plumb, which are much thicker. My over all assessment was that these pipes were of a better quality than the Dr. Plumb sub-brand. That's a subjective evaluation but I have over thirty of this style in my collection. The Dr. Plumb "flat Bit" is much thicker and heavier than the GBD/Comoy versions and this brand resembles the latter more closely than DR. Plumb. They do look the same in pictures but when you put them in your mouth you'll recognize the difference right away. Trust me here, you have pre-Codogan GBD quality at a significantly lower price point. Great find, enjoy.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
^^ I was thinking along the same lines... the pic of the Le Martinet has a much thinner bit, albeit the same shape...........

Great pipes, both of them.......... :puffy:

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Out of curiosity, does it say "France 2006" on the other side of the shank?(from the pictures perspective)
And by chance does the tenon step down in size?
I just came into possession of a bulldog and feel the shape and bit is the splitting image of yours.(minus yours having a nicer grain pattern" I was thinking 2006 was the year, not realizing it was a shape number.
Not intending to hijack the thread, just thought it would be a weird coincidence.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This pipe was given to me by a friend who's father was a pipe smoker. I got it in about 1980 and knoew nothing about it. So, this thread has given me more info than I could have hoped for.

Yes, beastkhk, the side of the shank reds:

France

Status
Not open for further replies.