GBD question

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by flintlockjohn
  • Latest reply from ssjones
  1. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I checked some of the links provided to me earlier, but could find no mention of "London Specials." Do any of you GBD buffs know anything about this line?
    Thanks in advance.
    John

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

sorry, i can`t help you with your question, however there are members here who will responed to your question. these guys will have the answer for you sir.

mike.

i know SS Jones is a member here. his name is Al. he for one will be able too help.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have not seen "London Specials". GBD seems to have had hundreds of line names with little or no reference points anywhere. Part of mysteries of GBD I guess. "London Made" is a commonly seen line. Post some pictures of the pipe and stamping, I love seeing these new to me lines pop up.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here are two photos from the seller:

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, it's a post-Comoy pipe due to the lack of a metal rondell, but beyond that I couldn't tell you any more concrete.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Judging by the crispness of the logo, I am thinking it is a fairly recent manufacture.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do have a couple of suspicions about this pipe, but I can't say with 100% certainty that I am on the right track. I believe that it is a 'London Made - Special Standard' based on the shape and colour, however I've not come across that juxtoposition of nomenclature before, so I am just taking a (somewhat educated) stab in the dark. The London Made stamp is often combined with shop stamps, and pipes from this line don't always sport the GBD logo. Special Standards are denotes the dark-red stain and smooth finish.

GBD seems to have had hundreds of line names with little or no reference points anywhere. Part of mysteries of GBD I guess.

For me, the research is half the appeal of the brand - although I must admit that I tend to search out the pre-81 (Comoys) GBD's; there is something about that rondell that gets me excited every time I see it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

flintlockjohn:

I'd encourage you to take a very close look at this pipe. I have a number of GBDs -- and enjoy them -- but the one I bought new in the last decade is noticeably lower down the "quality" rung. They used to make fine mid-grade pipes, some featuring some terrific grain. But my newest one is lacking the kind of finishing detail you used to see in the brand, and the stem, I realized after purchasing it, actually bends slightly to the right rather than coming straight back from the bowl. In the 1970s, a GBD like this wouldn't have been allowed to leave the factory.

Of course, yours might be well made, look great, and smoke fine. I just want to encourage you to not put so much trust in the brand name that you overlook any possible flaws. And GBD isn't the only once-major brand that has seen its quality drop in the last 10-20 years. I almost feel like crying when I see what has happened to the Charatan name.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've had mixed results with Cadogan era GBD's and just collect pre-Cadogan. I do have one Cadogan pipe with a brass rondell that is a great smoker. They rrally did add a lot more lines in the CADOGAN era. Good luck and let us know how she does.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the comments, both of you. Every time I log on here I learn something new. You both make some excellent points. Bob, I really appreciate what you are saying. I am not considering purchasing this pipe, as it is not quite the style I generally prefer. I mostly like dark sandblasts with saddle bits, although I have and enjoy some smooth-finish pipes and those with regular bits. I understand perfectly what you mean about the fall-off in quality in a variety of products. At this point I am mostly interested in Internationals, Prehistorics and above, and they have to be at the right price point, because I have no rational reason to purchase these, or any other pipes, I am just doing it for fun.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, you posted as I was writing my post. How does one identify pre-Cadogan GBDs?

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. rock

rock

Login to Send PM

Try a search on GBD. I have been to a site that I believe may belong to one of the writers of articles here occasionally. Anyhow, it has some fairly detailed info and pictures of pipes and the years they were produced. I have one and if I recall correctly (maybe :mrgreen:) it is from the early seventies. I could be completely wrong though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. rock

rock

Login to Send PM

Here's one. gbd By GL Pease

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. rock

rock

Login to Send PM

And the other GBD models

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

It is pretty simple:
    Pre-Cadogan pipes, are made after 1981 are stamped only "London England" in a straight line and have brass or silver rondells.
    Cadogan era pipes are stamped "Made in London" (circle) with "England" under the circle. The large majority do no have a metal rondell, but are stamped.
    Pre-Cadogan pipes are more valuable and seen as of a better quality.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

IIRC, the metal rondells were used up shortly after Cadogan assumed control, hence a relatively small number of the early Cadogan-era GBDs have the metal logo on the stem.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Here is my one Cadogan era pipe with the rondell. I bought it unsmoked from Nathan at Viking Club Pipes and it is a great smoking pipe. The finish on this Prehistoric is almost Castello Sea Rock like. You can also see how it is stamped.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   klause, txbeerboy, deimitori, mrenglish, lucky695, papajoe, antbauers, cortezattic, petes03