Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I recently bought this GBD Prestige 357 which is barely smoked. No ghosts, no fills, no teeth marks, very very slight rim darkening although it might be wood itself. I paid $30 plus shipping, is that about right? Also anyone know how old it might be?
Many thanks! PS I searched for that new thread about posting images but I couldnt find it.
https://imgur.com/a/6yQ9a

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Nice pipe, I have several 357’s my favorite pipe shape. 30 bucks is a helluva good price.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Pre-merger, '81 or earlier. The 357 is a classic Prince shape.
The Prestige line is good step up, 2 under the Virgin. From an catalog:
Prestige

"This pipe features a black handcut perspex mouthpiece which precludes discoloration and 'bad taste' after continual smoking. Only the finest of the fine-grained bowls are selected for this handsome matt virgin finished briar."

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just checked some of my catalogs. The Prestige starts showing up in the late 70's, my 1977 catalog lists it. It is not listed in the 1960's catalogs. The color of the rondell would also indicate it is of a latter vintage. So 40 years old is about right.

Mar 29, 2016
I think that the Prestige among with Bronze Velvet and Varichrome, was maybe the last gasps for quality by GBD in the late 70's.
ssjones, thank you for clarifying for the Prestige, I always thought that this grade was from the second half of the 70's but I had no proof.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Wow! I am even happier that I nabbed this one, thank you for all the info Ssjones and others! Thats pretty cool you have the old catalogs :puffy:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Merde, Just bought me a brand New similar Comoys mod 337 Tradition from the smokingpipes and the price tag showed $ 100+ mark

oh forgot,upon receiving unavoidable I'm facing to an additional import tax for it,another$ 25 to go

This very model except for 313 or(315)Savinelli with 6mm filter is practically impossible to get hold of in Europe today.

In all probability,Comoys (Chacom )produces this very model for North American market and only.

Occasionally there is this Chacom 337 Bercy available here but it ain't the same,(shorther stem and a tad more spacious chamber depth)

so My congratulations on your classic acquisition.Greets, Paul

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
Seeing as I paid $90 for a 357 Varichrome a few weeks ago, I'd say you did great as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.