PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Hello to all
A very good friend of mine recently won this GBD Prehistoric on ebay for about $20. I'm not crazy about GBD pipes but that's probably just because I don't own one... yet. He was wondering about the particulars of the pipe. I haven't really brushed up on GBD nomenclature or their history. I just thought this was an interesting find, especially for the price he got it for.

I'm not able to get pictures of the stamping but it was described to me as follows:
GBD @ center bottom left side…then straight to the right is PreHistoric in the old script. Just to the right above is London England, small blocked lettering. Directly centered and below down as the rustication begins is 1451. The band reads 14K1/4oRG.
Here's the pipe

Any information I can pass along to my buddy would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Your friend may have done well for himself. Gold banded GBDs don't come up very often. If the band has Hallmarking symbols on it the dating would be more certain. 1451 is the style number and Prehistorics are usually associated with the pre-merger era (1981). BTW GBDs of that era are some of the finest smoking pipes ever made in MHO.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I agree, he did very good and got a great smoker
https://pipedia.org/wiki/GBD
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-gbd.html

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
It is a gold plated band, not solid gold, so he should be careful when cleaning or buffing. Also that means no hallmarks. Pictures of both sides of the stem would help.
Twenty bucks is a great price assuming no condition issues.
Doc

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
That's a great buy. GBD are becoming one of my favorite brands.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I'll try to get photos of the stem.

I almost tried to talk him out of buying it because I was getting BBB and GBD confused. I almost got myself burned on an old BBB one time. That's another story in itself. By the time I got through looking at this Prehistoric, I think I suggested for him to tap out at $60. Lucky dog got it for a musical note, minus the song!

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Here are some more photos of the Prehistoric. I'm going to try one photo to see if I can post it.
s-l400%201_zpssfs3c91t.jpg
[/URL][/img]

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I'm not sure if the stamping is going to be readable from the pictures. These are from the ebay listing. Bad photos. If you GBD folks could put an estimated value on the pipe, my friend would sure love that. He's actually driving his wife to a doctor right now in order to try and save her eyesight. Some good pipe news would be welcomed.
All the best, people of the briar!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Unfortunately, that is not a factory GBD band, and they usually were put on for a repair. The stem also lacks the GBD brass rondell, so it is likely that the stem is a replacement. With those issues, it might be worth $20-$30. If there is a repair, less. Sorry, I hope your friend is ok.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks everyone. I believe if I could get better photos of this one, it would be thought of as more valuable. Photos are pretty unclear. Thank you all for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.