PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
This is the before and after pics of a GBD Congress / Shape 1353 restore done by Walker Briar Works.
The pipe was gifted to me by a friend, Max, who gave up pipe smoking, although it is obvious to see that he loved this one nearly to death. All the signs point to a well loved and oft utilized friend.
Upon receiving the pipe, I contacted Dave at Walkers to gather his thoughts and opinion on the restore, my main concerns being the restoration costs outweighing the materiel value of the pipe. Even though the pipe has some sentimental value attached, there was no sense in sinking more money than the pipe would be valued" as new, or in good to excellent "estate" shape.
Dave was able to quote a price that was well within my projected budget for the pipe, and stated he would be able to float the GBD badge onto the new stem, as well.
The entire project took about 6 weeks, due to the backlog of repairs at Walkers. The shop does provide an online list of ongoing projects, and projected finish dates, so you can follow your pipe 'up' the ladder of projects if you want to, which I did on a weekly basis. And, the pipe actually was delivered on the projected completion date, so it was finished a bit ahead of schedule. Walkers also did a basic cleaning of the pipe, and minus the expected wear of the bowl due to age and use, the pipe probably looks pretty close to what it did brand new.
Now, I am going to gently break her back in with a bowl of Sutliff Roma Vita, kindly provided by Ed James....
imag1432y.jpg

imag1433.jpg

img20120203195551.jpg

img20120203195558.jpg

img20120203195611.jpg

img20120203195619.jpg

img20120203195628.jpg

img20120203195639.jpg

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Very nice... I have that shape and love it enjoy a great smoker!! I love the fact that they saved the Rondelle. A real pro job.

drdave

Lurker
Jan 20, 2010
Thanks for the great review on the GBD. It was/is a very nice pipe, and worth the attention and rebirth. I have to give credit where credit is due, however. Mike Myers, a fine pipe maker and repairman, whom we have been lucky enough to have work with us for the last year or so, deserves full credit for this job. This GBD is one more example of the fine work he does with us. We appreciate him as much as portascat appreciates his beautiful pipe. Mike and I thank you portascat!!!
Dave Wolff

Walkerbriarworks.com

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
That does almost look like a new pipe. I am really picky about pipe restoration though. If I were to have a pipe restored professionally, I would ask if they could, if at all possible, work around the nomenclature.

I have yet to need one restored to that extent, but I think keeping the pipe's nomenclature pristine, would be paramount.

Enjoy you almost new pipe portascat.

Jul 15, 2011
Ive got a little GBD that looks kinda like that one except the bowl is a little taller and not quite as wide. Its a great smoker and has seen many a flake in its day. My only complaint is that the mouthpiece is a little small and thus feels a little off, but its still a great little pipe. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
That is simply incredible work. How did they fill in the stem area that was chewed off?

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
Dave does outstanding work. I have had him do several Savinellis and Ben Wades, and he is now doing a Royal Danish and Savinelli. Would not send my pipes to any one but him.

Status
Not open for further replies.