PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I received a GBD Concorde (made in France) from a deal with Rx2man here on the forum, (great to deal with BTW) and as I like to do with my estates, looked on Pipedia to find out what I can. Shockingly all I can really determine is that this nice little rusticated 1/4 bent Bulldog is at the lower end of the GBD quality/collector scale and that the Concorde line was produced in the mid 70's. I buy estates to be used as burners and not to collect per se but I'm always interested in the backstory on any old pipe or line of pipes from any given factory. It's a swell smoker and I christened it with some new Lanes Crown Acheivment which it seemed to like very much. Anyone know more about the line? I've checked the asp threads and links from Pipedia, very little to go on.
Edit; I know this is technically a British thread but GBD is technically a British firm.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Congrats on your new burner. Here is my goto online source for GBD info: http://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDlines.html
-- Pat

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks Pat! That was where my search led me today and where I found the only mention of the Concorde and the year, 1976. I wonder if that book will ever be realized?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
ssjones is the real expert here for GBD. I have about 8 of them with most from before 1980. The GBD marque can be a confusing lot because of all the changes they've been through over the years. I have a City de Luxe Canadian that smokes better than my GBD International Canadian, so go figure. As long as you have a good burner you're ahead of the game.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Expert in my own mind...but thanks! Jerry's site is just about the sole source of GBD info (save Pipepedia). Sadly, it hasn't been updated in a while now. I keep hoping for a book as well, but as time slips away and the old smokers head to greener pastures, those hopes get dim.
I primarily follow GBD's made in England, so I don't know much about the French made line. From what I've read, they are equals to their British cousins, so you should have a good pipe.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks guys, it's a shame about the lack of documentation but so be it. I've always liked the shape and it does appear that it promises to be a great smoker. There's little use on this one. If I get time to finally figure out how to post pics, I'll put the pipe up on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.