PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
As the background ad indicates in 1961 GBD offered French made pipes in two new finishes, the Speciale (smooth) and the Sablee (rusticated). By the good graces of the Pipe Gods I was fortunate enough to find outstanding examples of both. Recently Al Jones gave me a “heads up” on a Speciale which I quickly purchased, only later to discover it was unsmoked. The Sablee I found on Ebay about a year ago and although lightly smoked someone had tried to buff it using jewelers rouge and succeeded in clogging all the rustication with it (Probably a good thing because they stopped before destroying the nomenclature). Multiple cleanings with a tooth brush and some Amish Wood Milk, a final de-gunking of the deep stuff with a dental pick, several coats of carnauba wax and it’s looking new again. This pair of long separated brothers has been re-united. And if that wasn’t enough they’re both 9438 Bent Rhodesians which is my favorite GBD shape. How nice is that?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
G-Man:
What a great score! They look terrific together.
Al is is one of the truly good guys: a kindly mod who'll still bust a cap when things get rowdy, the go-to guy on all items GBD and he's certainly earned my "Good Trader" seal of approval. (Recently purchase a flight of dated Balkan Sasieni tins from him and that journey has been more than enlightening.)
They're a beautiful set piece.
Fnord

Mar 30, 2014
wv
This post should've came with a warning. I had to pick my jaw up off the ground. Those are gorgeous! Nice preservation work. I'm glad to hear the "restored" 9438 wasn't damaged.
1 pic? You're killing me.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I agree with dave. Can we see more? This is the first time a pipe of that style has caught my attention. Congrats!

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Nicely done indeed! And I have to say that I like the looks of that chubby Rhodesian shape.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
It's been dreary here for the last couple of days and I don't have an artificial light system. As soon as we get a little sun I post some more pictures.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
The more I see of these, the warmer I get to the Rhodesian shape.
Well done, sir.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The St. Claude made 9438 GBD bent Rhodesian have very unique shape unlike most other Rhodesians. It's a short (5")pipe with a broad flat saddle bit and a very stout shank. It has a bowl that's full at the bottom unlike its bulldog cousins. That feature keeps it from getting hot late into the smoke when the bulldog's thin bottom often does. The short length and flat bit make it easily clenched leaving your hands free to do other things. It features a large bowl and a good sized airway so the draw is quite easy and they hold a good load of tobacco. Unfortunately the current GBD 9438 (post Cadogan consolidation, 1981) is not the same pipe. But this type are available in the estate market in reasonable numbers because the style was offered as GBDs, sub brands (Dr.Plumb, City Deluxe and Digby) and were produced for a number of private labels. It's a great smoking pipe with classic lines. Elegant simplicity never goes out of style.

Status
Not open for further replies.