GBD Flame Grain 269 Straight Bulldog Date?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Gents, just picked up an estate GBD 269 straight bulldog. It's marked "Flame Grain." I can't find much info on it to date it or otherwise determine if its a decent pipe. Anyone have any information they can share on this pipe? Thanks.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Flame Grain finish is listed here and it is shown as English made.

http://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDlines.html
I don't see many Flame Grain GBD's, lets see a picture of that baby!
I own a "Super Flame" 9438 GBD model. That one is not listed anywhere. At the Richmond Show, a person who works for SmokingPipes.com was smoking the same pipe! (he also said he had not seen another)

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
I haven't posted a picture here yet. I'll try and see if I can get one up this evening when I get back to the house. Thanks for the input...picture coming.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Thanks. I need to clean it up. I found it on an estate rack at a local B&M and have never seen a "flame grain" model of a GBD so I was wondering if anyone hear knew anything about it and/or could date it. It may have a slight cant, I'll have to pull it out later and check it out.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Based on the brass rondell and the "London,England" straight line stamping, the pipe was made before 1981 (or 82). That is as close as you can get with a GBD. That looks in good shape and it should restore nicely.

65chevy

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013

found this online when I was looking for info on my old GBD the shapes are from 1961 they did make big changes in 1981 when they became part of Comoy's no more sliver or brass logos on the stems.

your pipe looks to be within the time frame of this catalog

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.