PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I am wondering what to look for in a GBD 9438. I saw one come up on the bay last night and when researching prices they are all over the map. I would appreciate a quick education if at all possible.
Thanks!

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I think you're looking for SSJones. I bought a virgin 9438 from a dealer last month, but for some reason it was marked at a very low $75. When they were really hot I think the very highest insane fleabay price was just below $300. Not sure of the model though. I don't have my pecking order list with me but I don't think the International was high-end.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The GBD 9438 was made in several versions. The early pipes were made in their St. Claude, France facility and are usually referred to as pre-Codogan. After 1981 Comoy and GBD manufacturing were combined in the London Comoy factory. Both versions carry the 9438 designations. In addition, the pre-Codogan versions were made in two forms, one for the English, American and Australian markets and featured a fishtail saddle bit. The second type were made for the French and Continental market and feature a short flat saddle bit and are stamped France on the stummel. The English versions come in a wide number grades, where the French versions in far fewer varieties. What a GBD 9438 is worth in the marketplace is driven by several factors, Grade, rarity, condition, type and if it is hallmarked. Some like the French version, Sauvage, will regularly sell in the $35-50 range. Others like hallmarked smooth finish pipes can sell for upwards of $150 and sometimes substantially more for pristine examples. Post-Codogan GBDs are not considered to be of the same quality as the St. Claude made pipes and usually sell for considerable less. Their saddle bits have flat sides which make it easy to distinguish them from earlier pipes. Examples of the various types can be seen on the GBD Collector's Thread. Hope that helps a little. It took me several years to sort the 9438 type out but once you understand the different periods then it becomes more an ability to recognize each type by sight.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What Glouchestserman said!
For pricing, smooth New Standard pipes are the most prolific, they go anywhere from $50 to $150. New Era and Virgin grade pipes go even higher, $150-$200 (in restored condition).
Lower end 9438's would be Tapestry, Fantasy, etc. (although my Tapestry is one of my best smokers).
Finding one you would have to restore is your best best to keep the price lower.
I do always look for the brass rondell and the "London,England" stamping. I'm not 100% convinced stem width is an indicator of era (pre or post Cadogan). GBD did mix up Rondells and stamping close to or just beyond the merger (my theory). But that combination will yield the best pipe.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
International was a lower grade post-Codogan pipe. Look carefully, they often had fills. The 9438 was also offered under several secondary brands (City Deluxe, Digby, Dr. Plumb) and as a number of "private label" brands which still carried the 9438 stamping. All of the alternatives sell considerably below GBD pricing but smoke the same. The 9438 is my favorite pipe for its smoking qualities. Over the years I have acquired about 30 of them in the various configurations.

This set is the English type (pre-Codogan)

This set is the French type (pre-Codogan)

Another example of the French type.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
davet, thanks. Most were estate pipes I pick up on Ebay and reconditioned. If you're looking for an easy draw pipe that is comfortable to clench the 9438 is about as good as it gets, especially in the French version. They smoke better than most of my artisan Italian made pipes.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I always thought the wildly swinging prices of 9438's came down to who wanted it more, Dutch or Al slugging it out on ebay.
@dutch, there's no words for that collection. Wow!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
International is listed in the 1976 catalog, so it is was made pre-Cadogan (and probably after). It is listed on Jerry Hannah's chart (compiled by Mike Hagley) as one step below Prehistoric. I'll PM you.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here is my current stable of 9438 shapes.
http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/upshallfan/slideshow/Collection%20Pix/GBD%209438%20Collection

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Al, I've never seen a pre-Codogan International but I'll file that tid-bit away and finding an example just went to the top of the "Grail" list. I have a post-Codogan example. It has a number of fills and is probably the poorest quality GBD I've ever seen so below Prehistoric sounds pretty accurate.

That Jameson is spectacular. If you ever decide to part with it let me know. I have several Prehistorics and three in "private label 9438s" with the same finish but yours is the nicest I.ve ever seen. That contrasting rim puts it in a category by itself. BTW, loved the show. I have to figure out how to do that.
Dave, I'm just glad Al's collection is more diversified than mine or 9438s would be even more expensive!! Lately old Petersons have caught his eye. But on the few hallmarked 9438s that show up for sale you might be right on target. But win or loose, both of us live vicariously through each others posts!

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Alright you guys, I had just convinced myself that all I was going to buy/collect now was Pete's and Dr Grabows, what are you trying to do to me? I can't do it, I'm weak and susceptible to peer pressure.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Almost. "London, England" is the stamp and the brass rondell.

Some believe the "wasp waisted" stem is an indicator of pre-Cadogan, but I haven't seen enough evidence to convince me that is infallible.

Some 9438's come with the brass rondell, "London, England" stamping but a "full width" stem".

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Awesome - that International appears to be pre-Cadogan. Now to pull the trigger or not. :)
Thanks for all your help folks - got to be one of the best pipe shapes out there.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's a silver hallmarked 9438 that I passed on once it went past the $100 mark. The hallmark date symbol was just too worn as to be verified (at least in those photos). Without the date, what is the point?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GBD-9438-Sterling-Band-Lightly-Smoked-Nice-/291612906945?hash=item43e57bd5c1%3Ag%3A9BgAAOSwYHxWQQ4o&nma=true&si=NMWvBlC7LPw4eMhnchcpV3qlXoI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
s-l1600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.