PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aroanian

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
hello everybody,
it seems that it is impossible to get any info on a GBD I recently acquired
I bought it as part of a small and neglected collection that gave me quite a few surprises
so, it is a Croisette model and by the name and looks of it, I m guessing it is a french made GDB
can anyone share something more about it?
36107250851_59745b0736_b.jpg
[/url][/img]
36107238561_258760baec_b.jpg
[/url][/img]

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Sorry I can't help with the GBD but I can tell you Butz Choquin made a 'Croisette Extra 1285' pipe that was a kind of Zulu shape.
Perhaps Al will chime in, he's something of a GBD expert.
Regards,
Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've never seen a "Croisette" GBD before.

The old GBD shape chart (from Jerry Hannah's defunct site) has the shape 1452 as a bulldog, which is interesting.

Also interesting, no COM mark. This may be one of the new GBD line that reintroduce the rondell?
It looks to be in good shape, enjoy it!

aroanian

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
I don't have access to such catalogs
and this piece does not look old
the finish is really peculiar and does not have a classic british style
a tough nut to crack, this one...

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I found an online auction from South Africa on June-18-2012 at (bidorbuy.co.za gbd 1452) showing a GBD prehistoric of the same shape as this pipe, calling it a 1452 as well.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Also found a post on (Dadspipes 10-27-15) cleanup of Mackenzie Extra 1452, it's the same shape and shape number as the above GBD. According to the author of the article, Mackenzie Extra was a BBB second. The pipe also states Made in France, as were many GBD's. The plot thickens....

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Also found a post on another pipe forum (PSF)Latest Pipe Smoking Purchase #1612 dated May 31, 2017, in the post, the member states they have purchase a GBD New Era 1452S. The pipe in their picture is also the same shape as above GBD, the owner of the pipe also notes the discrepancy between the shape and the shape number.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interesting, GBD's can be a mystery.
I still think this is one of the newer editions (revival if you will?).
The one in the Ebay auction above also doesn't have a COM. I think the seller is referencing the bag. Of course the bag may not be original to the pipe. Even so, I don't know my GBD bag details enough to use that as a dating tool.
s-l1600.jpg

Here's a 1452 Prehistoric that Phil referenced earlier.
2413122_120611161246_IMG_1255.JPG

Also interesting, here is a MacKenzie Extra stamped with the 1452 shape and Made in France, the shape looks identical. MacKenzie is not listed as a GBD 2nd.
20151025_153417.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
To determine if the box is original, you need to see the side panel and shape number. If you have that, originality is a pretty safe bet. On the other hand, I've read that many tobacconists sold pipes with incorrect boxes, they just grabbed the brand box that was in their drawer (apparently keeping boxes wasn't a common practice when buying an inexpensive pipe).

aroanian

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
quite true
anyway,let us keep this quest going
I noticed some similarities between the Edenroc model (found on G L Pease's collection) and my Croisette
35479748523_5ee38aa409_z.jpg
[/url][/img]
Edenroc is the upper left pipe and according to what GLP writes, it is a 'made in France' model.
Googling for further info on this model, I found this:
[url=http://www.bestsmokingpipes.com/vintage-estate-gbd-tobacco-smoking-pipebriar-wood-bent-eden-roc-507sfrance-19-99]
same shape with my Croisette, but a different model number! what a mess...
at least, there is increasing proof about Croisette's french origins
and then I found this:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/bought-a-lot-on-ebay-found-a-unknown-gbd-line
Its blasting has a LOT of similarities with that of the Croisette. And have have a look at the nomenclature... no COM again and same font type. I might have a galloping fantasy, but it seems that the two pipes were probably created at the same factory and around the same time.
An interesting twist was this:
yeoldebriars claims that Edenroc is a pre-Cadogan model (have a look at his GBD page)
could that be true or is it a mistake?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Edenroc finish does look similar, but I'm not sure it is blasted (looks carved/rusticated to my eye).
The only way to know pre or post Cadogan is by the COM (straight-line "London,England" is pre-Cadogan)
The Edenrock bulldog referenced in the earlier thread is still available at Esterval's is still available (two years!)

The picture showing the nomenclature isn't crystal clear, but it appears to not have a COM either. So, I assume this is a recent product piece from the short-lived revival in the 90's.

https://www.tecon-gmbh.de/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=140&products_id=6385&osCsid=76632adc1720027fe49d4678af88ba07
GBD%20SH1439%205.jpg

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
GBD's St. Claude manufacturing facilities made pipes not only for the Oppenheimer brands but also for a number of other brands. In many cases these other makers pipes had GBD style numbers so it's not uncommon for the same pipe to have several different brand labels. According to a dealers catalogue I have for 1968 that pipe is listed as a #1352 and French made,

Status
Not open for further replies.