Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I really wanted a small blasted Dublin. I ended up picking these up on eBay the other day as a 2-pipe lot for less than I use to pay for a day's supply of cigs. GBD International 133. BBB Own Make Thorneycroft 507. I haven't been able to peg down a dating range for either. I gather that Internationals were squarely in the middle of the GBD grades, and Thorneycroft was the lowest BBB grade. Other than that, I know nothing about these two pipes. I'm just getting started on the cleanup, but they're coming along nicely. I can already tell that the stain on the GBD is really going to pop once I get done. I'm undecided on how much rim lava I'm going to take off the BBB until I get a feel for how it smokes. If I like smoking it and decide to keep it, I'm going to leave the lava as a protective layer. It's hard as a damn rock even after water rinses and the alcohol and cotton balls treatment. Any suggestions on what to do with the rim on the GBD would be much appreciated. So far, I've tried spit, brushes, cloths, paper towels, oil soap, and elbow grease. Maybe it's just supposed to be black and cruddy?
Before:

img_20190807_130309-600x450.jpg

During:

img_20190808_150114-600x450.jpg

GBD rim:

img_20190808_150501-600x450.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Show me the MADE IN ENGLAND mark on the BBB. There was an "older" and a "newer" version of this marking. The Thorney croft wasn't a "low grade" pipe, just a sandblast. They are fine smokers. :)

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Thanks, guys! I was just going off what I read on pipedia and rebornpipes. Here's a pic of the nomenclature on the BBB and a closeup of the bowl - really loving that blast already.
img_20190808_185132-600x450.jpg

img_20190808_152258-600x450.jpg

Sorry for the wonky pic orientation - I'm working on it.
Edit: The BBB has a removable stinger, in case that helps with dating.

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
The Own Make was BBB‘s top category of pipes. I have one Thorneycorft and it is as fine a pipe as any of my Dunhill Shells. Congratulations on finding a superb pipe.
Mark

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Great looking sandblast! I have a soft spot for those old British pipes and would like to own a few more.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
OH, yeah. Looovvvvveee that BBB. Not sure, but I think you may be right on the GBD being intended that way (not a GBD expert). Personally I think the look of it is great! I've known a number of pipes that *were* like that brand new, so maybe... Who knows?
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Traditional and handsome. They will reward time spent burnishing them for the next fifty years.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Thank you, gents. It's nice to know that I lucked into such a nice piece with that BBB. The first smokes in both pipes were a little rough, as is to be expected, but very promising - perfect draw for my tastes, incredibly comfy stems, and light as a feather. And it sure doesn't hurt that I love the looks too.
They will reward time spent burnishing them for the next fifty years.
Oh, God help me if I live that long!
you may be right on the GBD being intended that way
Well, whatever that black stuff is, it ain't coming off, so that's the way it's going to be as long as I've got it. I like the look, too, and it'll be nice not having to fret about rim-darkening - just stuff it to overflowing and put a lighter on it when it's breezy out.
I have a soft spot for those old British pipes and would like to own a few more.
Me too - if you mean a few dozen more! Seriously, though, at the bottom end of the market, old Britwood offers by far the most bang for the buck (cobs excepted, naturally) in my limited experience. Just requires some serendipity and willingness to put in a little work on cleaning them up. I've found several such pipes in the sub-20-dollar range that, once revived, smoke circles around store-bought pipes that I paid 6-7 times more for. My current favorite is a 16-dollar Willmer I snagged from a seller who listed it as a "Wilmer" (I think he does all right selling old Caminettos for astronomical sums, so I didn't point out the mistake).

Status
Not open for further replies.