PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
SSJones asked that I post pictures of my collection. So here is part of it. Please be patient as I am learning as I go along. This is my Seven Day Rotation of the English version of the GBD 9438. The finishes are as follows; (top to Bottom) New Era, Century, New Standard, Virgin, Fantasy, Prehistoric and Rockroot.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nice set of pipes. I notice some of the stems have different angles. Are the ones with more of a bend better clenchers? It looks like those would hang more naturally.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I'm not sure why they are different but you're right they are. These pipes were all made in St. Claude, France and over the years I imagine a lot of different people formed the bits. The bit style is very comfortable in general so I really haven't noticed an advantage of one over the other but I call this my "fireside" set. I tend to hold them and not clench.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a splendid collection of same-brand same-shape pipes. Few have the resolve to round out such a fine array of similar but distinct pipes. Bravo!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks! I'm a huge fan of the 9438. I had a Fantasy but sold it to fund something else. I can't say I've seen a Rock Root 9438 in a long time.
So those all have "London, England" stamps? But you mention that they are made in France. Can you clarify?
Of all my 9438's, every single one has slight variations of the stem and none are remotely interchangeable.
At 58 to 60 grams, mine aren't really "Clenchers" but the bend allows them to be smoked comfortably and held for a short period. I've not yet encountered a 9438 that wasn't drilled properly and easily pass a cleaner.
Thanks for sharing those!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
What confuses most people is the 9438 designation. It's used on both the pipes made in St. Claude and the post consolidation (Comoy) versions although they are not the same pipes. All GBDs in what is often call pre-Cottagen era were actually made in France. After '81 the same style number (9438) was assigned to the GBD version of the 1057 Comoy made. The St. Claude 9438 were no longer made but since both were saddle bit bent Rhodesians they reused the number but they are two different pipes. 1981 is the key to understanding the difference between the two. GBDs made before 1981 were all made in St. Claude to one set of specs. All made after that year were made to Comoy specs in London. St. Claude made GBDs are widely considered the equal of the best made British pipes and it was at that time considered a priemum brand with a large customer base. I suspect that was a consideration when they kept the brand alive after the consolidation.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
That is one amazing collection. My 3 GBDs are simply great smokers...they are comparable to my Comoys easily.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
When I saw the title I thought this thread was started by ssjones or he atleast had something to do with it, lol.
Great set, like Al said you don't see the rockroot too often. I often wondered about the bends on the stems myself but I liked that they vary because it makes each pipe unique.
I'm suprised you don't have atleast one with a perspex stem.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
ssjones:
According to Richard Carleton Hacker in his book titled "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Collecting, "GBD briars were not made in London prior to 1903, so these will be the earliest you'll find with the "England" stamp. However, it is possible to encounter GBD's with either French or English stampings up through 1981. Since that date, all GBD pipes have been made in England."

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
What a great 7 day set. Love that shape.
Did anyone see that Pedigree 9438 on Ebay a few days ago (I think it was a 9438)? Isn't that the highest grade? Sold for less than $50. No rondell but.

Status
Not open for further replies.