PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This one was another "fuzzy Ebay Picture" winner. The seller had it listed as a 9478 and it went unsold twice. I initially thought it would take some serious work, but it was in far better condition than the ebay pictures revealed. Since I have a 7-day set of 9438's, this one is jetting off to member "Scrooge" collection (I boxed and mailed it quick, before I changed my mind!) You don't really see nice grain on GBD's, but this one has it in spades. The whole story is here:

https://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/?p=31326&preview=true
Ebay picture:
gbd_9438_international_ebay.jpg

And finished.
gbd_9438_international_finish-1.jpg

gbd_9438_international_finish-3.jpg

gbd_9438_international_finish-7.jpg

gbd_9438_international_finish-6.jpg

gbd_9438_international_finish-2.jpg

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I looked at that one but I'm a pre-Codogan guy. Nice resto and a beautiful grain. Scrooge should enjoy it. Maybe we'll have another GBD convert! Although I'm starting to worry about you with all those Pete acquisitions lately!!! Dutch

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@Glouchesterman: This one has the brass Rondell and "London,England" so it is pre-Cadogan. It's listed mid-pack of the grade list but the grain on this one eclipses my Virgin grade pipes.
I also learned that all International series pipes had plateau style rims, stained black. From the pipephil grade page:
gbd-inter1x2.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
papipe guy posted a pix of his International GBD's a few years ago, there was a mix of smooth and rough bowl tops. Ah the mysteries of GBD....

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Al, So I guess you haven't gone over to the dark side after all! Love the grain and the shape. I have a post-Codogan International with a smooth rim (9438) but it has more fills than briar. I bought it years ago when I first got into GBDs. It was the pipe that convinced me that pre-Codogan GBDs were what I was interested in. The later stuff just doesn't seem to smoke the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.