PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, I've had one heck of a June and July for pipes (and life events). I was able to acquire several pipes on my "Holy Grail" list, including pieces that I wasn't sure were really attainable. The GBD 9242 has been at the top of that list for years, but one shows up maybe every 18 months and in the past, have sold for crazy money. I got lucky this week with a tired looking New Standard 9242 that was listed. The pictures were fuzzy and the bowl top looked pretty bad. Given their rarity, there was no way I could pass this one up. There were hopeful signs that a decent pipe was hiding in those fuzzy pictures: stem & button looked great, bowl beading was perfect. It had plenty of dings and marks that would take some work.
I detailed the restoration work on Steve Laug's "Reborn Pipes" blog:

http://rebornpipes.com/2014/07/12/gbd-9242-1-holy-grail-restored/
Here's the pipe as I started:
gbd_9242_ns_before.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_before-5.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_before-2.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_before-1.jpg

And the finished pipe.
gbd_9242_ns_gallery.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_finished-6.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_finished-7.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_finished-5.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_finished-8.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_finished-9.jpg

gbd_9242_ns_finished-10.jpg

And, finally, a comparison shot with my GBD 9438 New Standard. The 9242 is a full 10 grams lighter at 45 grams and those curves really make the pipe. This shape really captivates me and this morning, it hit me as to why. One of my favorite attributes of a woman (besides her mind) is this profile. To me, this is also what makes the 9242 the shape it is.
gbd_9242_ns_finished-1.jpg

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Very nice Al! and the pipe is outstanding as well! :mrgreen: Congrats on another successful grail quest!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Bradley, Liz wouldn't let me take or show any more...
What's next on the Grail list? A few more pedestrian items:

Edit: Whoops, left off an important Comoys, a tough one.

1. Comoys 256

2. Dunhill CK (to make it more challenging: Shell finish and a 1961 birth year pipe!

3. Castello Shape 54, Round shank, blast

4. Savinelli 320 Giubileo d'Oro

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
All of my "Holy Grail" pipes get their own "Scottie" pipe stand (Brass, Syroco, Duk-it, etc.). This worn little Scottie seemed appropriate for the 9242, so I snagged it this morning.

Here's a shot of my Top 6, now realized, Holy Grail pipes.

From the top:

Comoys 499 Extraordinaire

Comoys 498 Extraordinaire

Ashton (Bill Taylor 2009 XX)

Comoys 284 Tradition

Sasieni Ashford Ruff-Root

GBD 9242

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Very nice pipes, @ssjones.
@snagstangl, different strokes for different folks. It would appear he's got a thing for slightly bent hard to find/expensive bulldogs.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Al, that's a killer collection.
I admire your focus, and singularity of vision. This is something I'm discovering for myself as I continue to pick up estates, clean them up, and return them to the world.
Can I assume that it's safe to start bidding on the shapes you've already found? :wink:
-- Pat

May 31, 2012
To me, this is also what makes the 9242 the shape it is.
I think you're right, the shape is evocative!

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVN1Apz45AE

:
Congrats on the find and another fine resto!
They all look great in the group photo.
You've been on a good roll lately, obviously these pipes want to come to your house!
Happy puffing!

:puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks guys, Ive been super fortunate?.

I smoked it early this AM, with coffee and hummingbirds. Wonderful smoke, that weight is perfect. The funnelled tenon is a feature I typically dont see on GBD's. Now, to start some bubbling-over cake of my own...

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I don't get it they all look the same, why do you need so many?

SWMBO no longer asks that question about my 100+ pipes. Instead, I'm more likely to get something like "do they all really taste different?"
Back to the point – Al, that's a magnificent score and I know you'll enjoy it tremendously. I have a few GBD's from the good old days, and they were hard to beat. Also in my collection, a Comoy's Tradition #9 Bulldog that is truly a magic pipe – no matter what I put in it, it comes out as a magnificent smoke. This may be the pipe that they will have to pry from my cold dead fingers after I depart this life. Sure hope it's waiting for me in the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.