Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:   

GBD 584 Seventy-Six Restoration

(9 posts)
  1. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Last week my daughter and now fiance spent a week here with us in Maryland (they live in New Orleans). The young man is a pipe smoker and we spent a nice week dong some pipes in my shop and getting to know each other better. I won the auction for this one just as they were getting ready to leave to head back home. It was cheap, but it had some pretty serious issues. It took a couple of attempts, some aborted and I almost gave up on the piece. The burn mark on the right side of the bowl gave me a bit of trouble to cover up. But, I was finally able to get it back to an acceptable condition. The future son-in-law has become somewhat of a GBD fan (surprising huh?). So, I boxed this one up and sent it to him in New Orleans as a gift to remember his proposal and our week together. I detailed the restoration steps here:
    http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/an-engagement-pipe-gbd-584-seventy-six/

Here's a couple of shots as received:

And finished:

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice work Al!

First, congratulations on the engagement of your daughter! And he's a pipe smoker too eh? That can only lead to good things.

Thanks for sharing this resto. I truly appreciate the walk through on how you approached the stain to deal with the burn marks. I have a couple of Butz Choquin pipes with similar issues that I've been trying to figure out how to deal with. You've given me something to noodle... I think I may have to head to Tandy Leather to grab some black stain.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Wolw, that's terrific. Very nice work, Al!

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Here's the young man enjoying a Danish pipe that we reworked.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great work Al! That sounds like a promising future son-in-law you have there. I really liked the write up on the restoration!

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. joeahearn

joeahearn

Login to Send PM

Nice job!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. durham270

Durham

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You've done a great restore job on her. Sweet!

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful work Al. My ever growing love for GBD's is completely your fault...I have 4 now. They also can be quite reasonably priced for a great pipe.

Jason
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Indeed, that one was just under $20 delivered. I'm always happy to encourage more reckless pipe spending!

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   thesillyoldbear, shind0, charf, carolinachurchwarden, anthonyrosenthal74, admiral, cohibajoe, didimauw