Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:   

GBD 584 Seventy-Six Restoration

(9 posts)
  1. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Last week my daughter and now fiance spent a week here with us in Maryland (they live in New Orleans). The young man is a pipe smoker and we spent a nice week dong some pipes in my shop and getting to know each other better. I won the auction for this one just as they were getting ready to leave to head back home. It was cheap, but it had some pretty serious issues. It took a couple of attempts, some aborted and I almost gave up on the piece. The burn mark on the right side of the bowl gave me a bit of trouble to cover up. But, I was finally able to get it back to an acceptable condition. The future son-in-law has become somewhat of a GBD fan (surprising huh?). So, I boxed this one up and sent it to him in New Orleans as a gift to remember his proposal and our week together. I detailed the restoration steps here:
    http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/an-engagement-pipe-gbd-584-seventy-six/

Here's a couple of shots as received:

And finished:

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice work Al!

First, congratulations on the engagement of your daughter! And he's a pipe smoker too eh? That can only lead to good things.

Thanks for sharing this resto. I truly appreciate the walk through on how you approached the stain to deal with the burn marks. I have a couple of Butz Choquin pipes with similar issues that I've been trying to figure out how to deal with. You've given me something to noodle... I think I may have to head to Tandy Leather to grab some black stain.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Wolw, that's terrific. Very nice work, Al!

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Here's the young man enjoying a Danish pipe that we reworked.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great work Al! That sounds like a promising future son-in-law you have there. I really liked the write up on the restoration!

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. joeahearn

joeahearn

Login to Send PM

Nice job!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. durham270

Durham

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You've done a great restore job on her. Sweet!

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful work Al. My ever growing love for GBD's is completely your fault...I have 4 now. They also can be quite reasonably priced for a great pipe.

Jason
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Indeed, that one was just under $20 delivered. I'm always happy to encourage more reckless pipe spending!

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   haparnold, shind0, hoppes, ashdigger, brian64, trouttimes, andromeda, jaytex969, sierrarecluse, timt, morgansteele, maxsmoke, mikethompson, jerardpaul, redglow, axeltwenties, agnosticpipe, piratepiper, mau1, spider61, eltice, sablebrush52, ben88, warren, bazungu, canucklehead, chasingembers, anthonyrosenthal74, recluse, vorgath, scloyd, carolinachurchwarden, scottfree, mikefu