Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Last week my daughter and now fiance spent a week here with us in Maryland (they live in New Orleans). The young man is a pipe smoker and we spent a nice week dong some pipes in my shop and getting to know each other better. I won the auction for this one just as they were getting ready to leave to head back home. It was cheap, but it had some pretty serious issues. It took a couple of attempts, some aborted and I almost gave up on the piece. The burn mark on the right side of the bowl gave me a bit of trouble to cover up. But, I was finally able to get it back to an acceptable condition. The future son-in-law has become somewhat of a GBD fan (surprising huh?). So, I boxed this one up and sent it to him in New Orleans as a gift to remember his proposal and our week together. I detailed the restoration steps here:

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/an-engagement-pipe-gbd-584-seventy-six/
Here's a couple of shots as received:

And finished:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice work Al!
First, congratulations on the engagement of your daughter! And he's a pipe smoker too eh? That can only lead to good things.
Thanks for sharing this resto. I truly appreciate the walk through on how you approached the stain to deal with the burn marks. I have a couple of Butz Choquin pipes with similar issues that I've been trying to figure out how to deal with. You've given me something to noodle... I think I may have to head to Tandy Leather to grab some black stain.
-- Pat

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Great work Al! That sounds like a promising future son-in-law you have there. I really liked the write up on the restoration!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Beautiful work Al. My ever growing love for GBD's is completely your fault...I have 4 now. They also can be quite reasonably priced for a great pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.