Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:   

GBD 1353 "Seventy-Six" Restoration

(12 posts)
  1. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I found this GBD Shape 1353 "Seventy-Six" model in a four-pipe lot on Ebay last week. I have three other "Seventy-Six" models in my collection. I would call this shape a "Banker" but I've seen it referred on the Smokers Haven sales page as an "oval-shank pot". In researching this shape, member Portascat also has this GBD shape, restored by Walker Briar last year. I didn't yet have this shape represented in my collection.

I detailed all of the restoration steps on the Steve Laugs "Reborn Pipes" blog and you can read those details here, including some additional photos:

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/06/17/gbd-oval-shank-pot-seventy-six-restoration/

Here's a shot of the pipe as I received it and the finished pipe. It's not perfect, but I find the shape and finish pleasing. I'm looking forward to breaking it in.

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al that's sharp. That stem sure looks comfortable. Nice job.

Hope she smokes good for you!

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I love the shape -- that banker is close to the author shape in it's premise, anyway -- a favorite of mine. Great job on the restoration, Al and thanks for sharing!

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al - Gorgeous oval shanked pot. They certainly don't make em like they used to. Enjoy!

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great looking pipe. I have a 76 Canadian that smokes wonderfully, and I'll bet yours will smoke as good as mine. Congrats!

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice job as always, Al. And appreciate the background info in the model, too!

Greg
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great looking refurb job Al!

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. eaglerico

eaglerico

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice job Al, as usual.

Al, I do have a question about the rondels you restore on all these GBDs. I collect Chacoms that has the metal rondel as well. Are all the GBD rondells the silver color? I ask because I bought a Chacom that had a rondel and the previous owner buffed it so much the rondell was now silver instead of brass in color that they come in. Do you worry about that? Hoe do you deal with that?

Glenn
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice job as usual, Al. eaglerico, the rondels on the older GBD's are brass the newer GBD's have a painted logo.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful, still looking for one for myself as matter of fact. Really like the shape/look

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice one Al!

Suffering from a serious case of "EPARD", also known as the Estate Pipe Acquisition and Restoration Disorder.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. This eBay lot also included a Comoys 215 which I'm working on next.

Eagle: I've heard there are silver and brass rondells, but I have only seen the brass one. I learned the hard way not to be too aggressive on the rondell and took finish off one during an early restoration attempt, leaving black letters. It is hand work with the sanding papers (but easier than a stamped logo).

I'll break it in this evening with some MM965.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ofarrell, cosmicfolklore, jrbjr, adforbes, mawnansmiff, ray47, cossackjack