PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
Hello
Need some help on this. i am looking at the components and it seems to be a close kin to SJF. Can those that have smoked both please let me know what the differences are between the two? I enjoy Dunhill Navy rolls, a bit more than Escudo. I enjoy Heinrich's Curly block, more than the one bowl of SJF I have tried. I am trying to get a feel where Cabbie Mixture fits.
Thanks

Reactions: lightmybriar

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I prefer St James, Navy Rolls, Curly Block and Escudo over Cabbie's. I recently found my original 2016 tin of Cabbie's and smoked it for about 30 seconds before quitting. I remembered why I had buried that tin so deep. It has way too much red virginia's for me. It burned my tongue big time. I hadn't felt pain that bad in years as I learned to stay away from blends heavy in reds.
The main reason I went looking for it was to see if it had any kind of Lakeland taint on it. In the short time I smoked it, I couldn't detect any, but the smoke was way too short to be really sure there was none.

Reactions: cortezattic

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Very faint lakeland appears in Cabbie's, some tins more than others.
I think it's the best va/per going, because it isn't a perique bomb, it's condimental. I find it smooth and sweet, no bite at all. YMMV

Reactions: cortezattic

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think Cabbies Mixture and St. James Flake are both excellent and different enough from each other to warrant owning both. I have very large quantities of both in my cellar and both are outstanding. Can’t really describe the differences well but those two are up there with my favorite VaPers. Dunbar being my absolute favorite, then I’d put St. James Flake next and Cabbies Mixture in third. The Gawith VaPers become divine with age on them, hold some for at lest two years and you’ll be glad you did.

Reactions: dcon

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
Insights appreciated! Looks like I'm going to have to try a few more bowls and get a feel for the spiciness.

Reactions: lightmybriar

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
2 bowls of Cabbies...It does have spice on the end, but if you smoke it slow it has less bite. But I do agree St. James Flake I do like better and with this last release I have 4 box's on the way.

greenmtnsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2018
Cabbies is one of my favorites due to it's unique wine and brine like taste. It is a tricky smoke for me and all variables have to be spot on. I have found only two pipes out of many that work for me, the best being a Savinelli Canadian. I also need the leaf to be bone dry to bring out all of the clean, sweet and tangy fruit flavors. If not perfect, I get a hot, wet and spicy smoke. Great in the cold dry air on a winter morning.
I love St James in the summer. One of the few smokes I can tolerate when it's near 100 degrees outside. For me it's a darker smoke with some sweet and spice and a good amount of earth. I get some wine like taste from this too but different. Not as bright and clean to me as Cabbies and not as refreshing. It serves a totally different purpose for me than cabbies. This is not a morning smoke for me but I love it during the day and evening.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
If memory serves I didn't like the first smoke of this at all but by the end of the tin I loved the stuff. It was a quick and complete U-turn. Also, I'm a guy who doesn't like to dry his tobacco out as much as many. I like a little moisture in my leaf but this was one that I found really did taste better drier than I would normally smoke it. It's been a while since I have had it but I think enough of it to always have a tin or two ready to go should I crave it.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Yet another tobacco with great reviews but I found very poor.

In fact another waste of money!

Smoked the whole tin because

A. It cost so much

B. I was hoping it might just get better
Another reason I am not going to experiment in the future, and will stick to the tobacco I like and can trust.

Only tobacco recently I have been pleasantly surprised with was Peterson Signature Flake.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I find St. James darker and plummier, smoother and the more subdued of the two. Cabbie's is punchier, the perique tends to pepper, and is overall a brighter smoke. Put another way, St. James seems like a nice Virginia with some fruity perique added, and Cabbie's is squarely in the "yeah I got a lot of perique in me, you wanna fight about it?" camp.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Cabbies is a bit creamier and brighter than Escudo. Maybe I might compare it to being like the difference between milk chocolate and dark chocolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.