PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
same gawith or 2 different
if same why 2 companies what is happening here ??

saw the gawith name in my local tobacco shop but not sure which as i recognized only the name gawith.

is one better than the other for whatever reason ?
interested

thanks
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Please use standard punctuation and capitalization as a courtesy to the Membership.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's two companies, but each was owned by members of the same family. They've been separate companies since sometime in the 19th century. Their tobaccos are different, but similar. Samuel Gawith makes Full Virginia Flake, Best Brown Flake and 1792 Flake, among others. Gawith Hoggarth is notable for Ennerdale, Bob's Chocolate Flake and a bunch of scented Virginia and Virginia/Burley flakes.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Amazing how long family disputes can last.
In any event, they are both venerable manufacturers with roots in the Lake District.
If you or dislike one, the same will probably hold true of the other.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Spmewhere, and I truly wish I remembered where, I saw an online article detailing the history of the two companies. I do not know exactly where it is, but I do know that it exists.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Do they get their tobaccos from the same source? SP sells bulk latakia from both companies, are they the same or different? I love lat and want to have some on hand to make my own blends. I am planning on getting 1 oz samples of lat from McC, C&D, SG &, G&H (if they are different).

Status
Not open for further replies.