PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Hi guys. I've tasted several SG and GH blends and enjoy them. I have not tasted RD Honeydew. SP has some in stock, but first I thought I'd ask what you think of this blend as compared to some of the other GH blends. Is it dissimiliar enough from the other Lakeland offerings that it is worth trying out? What blend of GH do you think it most resembles? Or is it different enough that it, like Condor and St. Bruno, has it's own profile distinct from the others?

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I just tried it this week and was disappointed. I like just about all of the SG/GH blends and this sounded very tasty.. Honeydew!! It was just bland.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, I’m not a big fan of it myself. I have a hard time getting any flavors from it. I have thought that it may be due to the condition it was in when I bought it, I got it from Mars Cigars (before it was available through Smoking Pipes) and the entire eight ounces was extremely dry and just poorly kept. I should have returned it but I decided to rehydrate it. I like to smoke most of my tobaccos really dry but this was just ridiculous. I know a lot of people that really love it so I may try to get some from SP cause I can rest assured that they keep their tobaccos the right way. Anyway, what flavors I do get don’t really excite me so I’m in no rush to get more any time soon.
I’ve learned over the years to just spend my money on St. Bruno and Condor... I’ve chased similar blends for a couple of years now and nothing else comes even remotely close.... well maybe Dark Flake scented but that’s about it. If I were you I would look at some of the HU tobaccos, they have some scented blends that are really, really good! Sissinghurst, Daddy Gefftl And Hadde’s Best Irish being my favorite.
But still, if I boil it down, id rather just have my Condor & St. Bruno.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Yeah, I hate bland. Course I know it's all subjective. And not sure whether to believe Duane. He probably just said that to be contrary :wink:I was kind of hoping it would be kind of in the arena of Condor and/or St. Bruno with just enough variation to set it apart, but I'll ponder over it some more before committing. I was hoping I would like Dark Birdseye but I didn't really care for the taste of that one, but I do like Dark Flake scented and U/S. So go figure

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Actually have five pounds in my cellar. Love the stuff. Dry it out completely, and pack it light. Nothing at all like Condor or St. Bruno.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Give me a few days to go through my cellar to find my stash, pm me your address and I’ll send you out a nice sample of some... it just dawned on me that I owe you one.
Cheers.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Also, if ya haven’t already tried it, I highly recommend SG Kendal Cream. I think it’s in the same game as Condor and Bruno. It’s a very nice scented flake.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
It's one of my favorites. I smoke more of this than almost anything else. I have over a pound myself. It's perfumy/soapy tasting to many... it turns a lot of folks off.

While it is different, I think you could use Ennerdale as your benchmark. If you really don't like the perfume/soap of Ennerdale, then avoid RD Honeydew.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I was just thinking... I am of the mind that if some kind of tobaccolypse happened that I would find plenty of other tobaccos that I enjoy. I'd miss my favorites, but some would seem to be harder to replace than others.
If G+H shut the doors, I'd be quite sad because with the exception of Peretti's original... I cannot quite find that flavor/taste anywhere else.
I'd probably max out a credit card to stock pile RDH.
Oh heck, I think I should go buy some now.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
GH&Co. RDH is a favourite of mine as well. Nothing quite like it.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Hawky(Dave) sent me a generous multi-bowl sample of RDH that I received Wednesday, just in time for my day off yesterday. It smelled oh so good in the packet. As with the other GH offerings it had that typical Lakelands smell and taste but this was a little different than the others I have tried. I did enjoy it but with just one bowl don't know yet if I want to obtain any more or not. Was not particularly strong per my tastes as others like Dark Flake or Dark Bird's Eye. I will go back to some other GH offerings I have had and then come back to this one. I haven't decided if it's different enough from the others or not. With some of the GH blends after about half a bowl they seem to resemble each other much more so than the first half. Thanks Dave for sharing this with me!!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hawky, I am surprised to read that St Bruno is one of your favorites. It is so light in the Lakeland essence that even I like the stuff. I would think that your Condor would make it bland to you. What is is about St Bruno you enjoy so much?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Harris, to me St. Bruno and Condor are a little diffferent than the Kendal Lakeland’s. They both have floral notes to them but they have more of a singular floral note (like rose) as opposed to Lakeland’s where I think they taste more perfumed and/or soapy. I think the toppings in St. Bruno are extremely complex and I think of it as a work of art. The Gawith’s are good at what they do and I enjoy several of their blends but after awhile they all start tasting medicinal to me and that very well could be that my wife is really into essential oils and I’ve come to equate geranium with medicine. A lot of people confuse or bundle all tobaccos that have florals in them to contain geranium but I don’t that’s true, geranium (rose geranium) has a very unique flavor and most of Gawith’s Lakeland’s contain geranium, among other things. Anyway, I love St. Bruno not only for its wonderfully complex sauce but because the Virginias are extremely rich and sweet with a little smokey/leathery finish from the Dark Fired, combined with the casing and voila! Magic! I get notes of deep fermented fruits, apple cider vinegar, smoked pine, and leather. The more I smoke it the more I love it. But I have horrible tastes in tobacco so anyone reading this don’t even bother trying it, ya won’t like it!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
hawky, thanks for the descriptions. I was wondering why I liked St Bruno and can't stand those other Lakelands, now I know. When it first came back on the US market, I ordered a tin to check it out. I liked it and saw the potential for aging it and quickly ordered a whole bunch. I ordered all mine in April and June of 2016.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You got it, Harris! I think Mac Baren made a very large order, the ones I’m currently stocking up on are still date marked Jan 2016 so they already come with 2 plus years on em! Probably shouldn’t have said that part.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I find fresh St. Bruno and aged St. Bruno to be two entirely different tobaccos, the difference a mere three or four years makes to the blend is phenomenal!
That's my tuppence worth.
Regards,
Jay.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Jay, have you tried both the tin and pouch versions? Do they taste the same to you? I have a few tins but haven't tried them yet.I mostly have the RR pouch version, and I like it just fine. Was just curious what your experience has been. For me I think the light touch with the dark fired is what makes it for me. The heavier blends of dark fired I don't appreciate as well.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
David, St. Bruno is an OTC over here so finding it is no issue. I refer only to the flake version which comes in a foil covered plastic tray.
When I bought it fresh to try out in my first year of piping (2015) I thought it rather bland. However I later bought from a forum member Drennen (whatever happened to him?) two pouches dating back to 2014 and my oh my what a difference that short time ageing did to the flakes of the one pouch I opened.
They were almost black in colour and the smell was amazing.....as for the smoke, well that really was something else.
The remaining pouch will remain unopened for another few years.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.