Tags:  No tags yet. 

Gawith Hoggarth Dark Plug

(47 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by uncleblackie
  • Latest reply from Orley
  1. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to let all know that this is back in stock at Smoking Pipes. Looking forward to finally trying this one.

Strong plug fans take note.

GH Dark Plug

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Appreciate that uncle. I have some flake left over but love the plugs of anything even better. It's stout but tasty. Just take it slow. I'll just have to snatch me a few ozs. Thank you

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I put down about 8 X 500 around Jan. 1.

I really like smokingpipes notification system when a tobacco is unavailable. Sign up yourself, it comes in and one alert email. You aren't spammed but ask to be notified. It comes in and just one email. Another thing that smokingpipes does well, among so many others.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

Agreed on the email notifications. That's how I knew it was available.

Now if they'd only get Grousemoor plug.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I ordered some when I got the notification, and I got it yesterday. Man, I like this stuff! Put some in a Peterson 317 and smoked it for about 1 1/4 hours. This is some real tobacco, and I love it! It'll curl your nose hairs for sure. I can't believe this is as good as it is, and it sure has a real nic hit, but what flavor! One of my favorite tobaccos for sure. I haven't had such a thrill since GLP 2005 Cumberland. You definitely have to take it slow, but the flavor is amazing. I get a sense of cigar from it, but it has no cigar leaf in it. Proceed slowly and it's a wonderful smoke.
    Oh, I did have some bourbon to drink with it, so that might have had some effect on my perception of the smoke.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now if they'd only get Grousemoor plug.

Yes, would be nice...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Although SG makes a plug version of many of its tobaccos, nary a one is available in the States, though if you're willing to pay double what it would cost here, Synjeco will sell it to you. I guess plug is smoked in Europe more. There are no more than a half-dozen, if that, plug tobaccos made by US houses, Jackknife, Triple Play and Temple Bar are all that I know. War Horse is a crumble cake though it's called plug on the outside of the tin. Mike @ Mars was the only one who could get Dark Plug for years; not so anymore.

I'm glad that GH has opened distribution to smokingpipes, but I doubt you'll see Grousemoor Plug.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

Well, on the contrary, Smoking Pipes has SG Kendal Plug listed on their site, though it is out of stock. So it would seem they intend on restocking at some point, and might also indicate they could have access to the other plugs offered by Samuel Gawith.

Add Gaslight to the US made plugs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gaslight is crumble cake, not plug.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dark Plug is polluted with Lakeland, which just ruins it for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Dark Plug is polluted with Lakeland, which just ruins it for me."

Dan, you need to try the unscented version...no 'Lakeland Sauce', just lovely full flavoured tobacco.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am not a fan of the Dark Flake (scented), but the unscented is one of my favorites. However, The plug, I find not as offensive as the (scented) flake for some reason. It does have a little of that gag reflexive lakeland, but I get a stronger licorice-like flavor, which appeals to me.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay, I don't think that we can get the unscented plug here in the US. I'm a fan of GH and SG, just not a fan of Lakeland, Lord knows I've tried.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. 4noggins

4noggins

Login to Send PM

Dark Plug Unscented is available in the USA. In fact, it's the only way it comes since there is no Aromatic version available to us here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://www.4noggins.com/gawith-hoggarth-bulk-dark-plug.aspx omg rich you started carrying it. Yuge

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm... The Dark Plug that I tried definitely had Lakeland contamination. JimInks also detected it in the sample he smoked for his review. Rich, have you smoke the Dark Plug that you carry? Any Lakeland present? Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You will pick up a hint of the "essence" or flavoring in the initial lighting of either of the unscented versions, but it dissipates quickly. I find that the plug has a little more than the flake, but that may be just evaporation. IMO, none of the GH&co offerings are completely devoid of the lakeland.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes I find the G&H unscented to have a scent, I love bright CR flake but there is a noticeable Lakeland flavour all the way through. But I'm ok with that

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

GH makes Dark Plug Rose Geranium, but it is not available here; maybe you somehow smoked it? I've smoked both Dark Flake and Plug Unscented for some time and would say that both are natural tobacco..

I believe the revulsion experienced and described by so many to Lakeland scenting amounts to no more than group think to retain group membership. There is very little if any critical reaction described, but instead just something along the lines of "OMG! Lakeland! Yikes!" I may be missing your true reaction, but I tire of the rejection to Lakelands on the basis of a particular style of topping.

Just my thoughts.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't hate Lakeland, and I can see where people might actually like it. I'd just prefer to smoke something without it. The tiny bit present in most of the GH "unscented" products is OK, but the Dark Plug that I tried about a year ago was a bit too much.

My aversion to the scent, I can assure you, is not groupthink or born of a need to belong to some odd cabal of aromaphobes. I don't like tobacco that is flavored with anything other than scents that are based on (or strongly resemble) food or beverage products. Or smoke. Fig, apricot, raisin, licorice, anise, rum, whiskey, dark fired, Latakia...you get the idea. Lakeland is not an aroma that I would ever equate with food.

And, as a soap maker, I wouldn't use it in soap, either.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't catch any scent on the dark flake u/s but then again I find it stronger than their Brown bogie

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. 4noggins

4noggins

Login to Send PM

woodsroad, Cosmic pretty much nailed it. If you'd like. I'd be than happy to send you a sample. PM me with your mailing address.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, I'll try it again and let you all know what i find.

It's well documented that taste and smell are highly individualistic both in reception and perception. One man's "unscented" is another man's olfactory maelstrom.

Rich, thank you for the kind offer, but I think that I'll just order up a lump of Dark Plug from you and give it another try. If I don't like it, I know that there are plenty of folks at the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club who will!

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Andy, although I don't actually taste the lakeland in these, everyone that I have sent a sample to, say they do. So, I just say that it is very light, because I may just be immune to the lakeland in these, even though all of the other lakelands make me sick.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woodsroad, thank you for the explanation.

I don't know what tobacco you guys are smoking to find scenting in the Dark Plug available here. I bet you can't smell it, either.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Saltedplug, not sure why you can't accept that some people can detect aromas that you can't. I'm often amazed at what my wife can smell that I can't, and visa versa. For example, I have a great ability to smell mold and mildew, as well as products of fermentation. So sometimes that's really good, as in enjoying making bread and beer, other times not so good (as in a moldy smelling hotel room). The aromas of whole-leaf tobacco, hops, malted grains and autumn leaves send chills of happiness down my spine. Synthetic perfumes like the crap they use in room "deodorizers", urinal cakes, car "fresheners" and febreeze make me crazy and overwhelm my sense of smell.

We're all different. It's one of the great things to enjoy about people.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once you regularly start smoking G&H the scent you start to get used to, it starts out very noticeable and then over time you get used to it and have to search for it. You will notice it at first but it shouldn't make you retch. Beware though, if you don't like strong slap you in your face leave you on your knees kind of tobacco, you probably won't like dark flake. The plug is most likely stronger

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

I just checked mine and it maybe has the faintest hint of "Lakeland" in the bag. If I wasn't looking for it I don't think I would notice at all. Just lit up a small bowl and there is the slightest hint of scent. Not in any way overpowering.

To be honest, I find this reminiscent of Brown Irish X and Happy Brown Bogie.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, just placed an order with 4Noggins, and I'll report back!

I like strong blends, in small quantities.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, the dark flake unscented is the "gateway" lakeland. You get used to it, and then you stop tasting it at all, then you get used to the scented version. Then next thing you know, you're mainlining Errendale in some backroom flop house smoking lounge. Sad.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

Saltedplug, not sure why you can't accept that some people can detect aromas that you can't.

I think you are right. I get this intense aroma of bs from War Horse

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woodsroad, I thought my sense of smell representative, but now I know there are representatives!

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I don't like tobacco that is flavored with anything other than scents that are based on (or strongly resemble) food or beverage products."

Yet you have a finger in the pie of War Horse...which stinks smells like no foodstuff I have ever tasted. Still today, after several months I can smell the two blocks (red & green) I have (both bagged and tinned) everytime I enter my kitchen! I dare not even keep it near my regular tobacco stash for fear of cross contamination.

Try the unscented version Dan, you will be delighted.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke War Horse.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gimmee a break, War Horse Bar isn't that strong smelling, and I like the tin note.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really want to open a tin of warhorse now and see what it's all about

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife and I smoked some Dark Plug tonight and still didn't notice any Lakeland essence. Not saying it's not there, but to our senses, we couldn't find any. Still, we really like this tobacco a lot! One of the better plugs that we've had.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy the tin note of both the red and green War Horse.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This just in from 4Noggins:

I don't smell Lakeland in either the Dark Plug or Dark Flake (Unscented)

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

¬°Muy excelente! Get off your high horse and smoke you some dark plug.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see what you did there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I'll be here all week.

Smoking some Dark Plug right now actually, though I decided to mix in some BCA so I could pack a bigger bowl and not kill myself. Not a bad combo at all.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It looks like every other STG plug, but smells great. Lots of Dark Fired.

It rained here tonight, so all the chairs out on the deck are soaking wet. I'll spark up a bowl tomorrow.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So here's my take on Gawith Hoggarth Dark Plug (Unscented)

It's definitely scented, but not with a traditional Lakeland. More of a men's cologne. Lightly scented though, and I like it. The tobacco aroma/flavor still comes through as the dominant character. Lots of Dark Fired and air cured burley. Not getting much Virginia. Has a nic hit like an aborigines armpit.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's how Perique was first done! Aborigines in Louisiana stuffed their armpits with whatever tobacco was around, to ward off mosquitoes. The resultant tobacco after a week was scented and strong!! Then they started stuffing hollow logs and alligators with it and the rest is history.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lol.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The more I smoke Dark Plug the more I like it. Just had another bowl tonight, and this time I felt the nic hit a bit more. Just put the pipe down and came back about 1 hour and 1 scotch later. Now I get why they say tobacco is addicting! I - Just - Have - To - Have - It!!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, easydraw, fernafast