Gawith Hoggarth & Co, Rum Flake

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by gnatjulio
  • Latest reply from cigrmaster
  1. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First let me apologize for the rambling format of this post. This is not a review, just an observation.

I popped a tin of this stuff when I first started pipe smoking back in March. I was put off by the perfume not that it gave off. After getting distracted by VaPers, Va's and English blends I considered myself to be a non aromatics guy.

Fast forward about ten months (and since being led to some very nice aromatics that I enjoy) and given a new mission to clean out most of my opened tins so I can get to others in my collection, I got to revisit this flake. I found myself to greatly enjoy it. So much so that I ordered two 500g blocks of the stuff from SP.

I don't mind the slight ghosting it gives to some pipes but I will have to dedicate pipes to my English and VaPer blends.

I've never come across any mention of this flake on the forums and I was just wondering if any of you fine people have tried it and I would like to know what you think of it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have never tried it but ten months is certainly enough time to let the excessive perfume ventilate and allow you to appreciate the Virginia and Burley tobaccos underneath it...

Congrats on finding a new favourite. It pays to revisit tobaccos that were "unsettling" to us at one time or another...

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

GH seems to be mostly forgotten while everyone chases the SG blends.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

GH has some excellent blends. Not all are heavy Lakeland. The CR Bright VA flake rivals FVF, and the Bob's Chocolate Flake is very good too.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got four 2007 tins in the cellar, which I picked up after falling in love with SG's Navy Flake (back when it was also sold by Tavern Tobacco as "Blackbeard Queen Anne's Revenge"), but I have yet to try this one.

I bought them assuming that since both Rum Flake and SG's Navy Flake included the addition of rum, they might be similar. And I love GH's Bob's Chocolate Flake, so I trust the brand.

I'm curious, though: Do you think Rum Flake smokes at all like a traditional Navy Flake? That is, a Virginia/burley flake with the addition of rum? Or do you think there's more going on there? Is it actually a Lakeland blend, featuring tonquin?

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks gecko, for identifying Lakeland as the perfume component in the blend. I actually enjoy the RF more as a change up from VaPers and English blends.

I have to say that the bulk version wasn't as strong in the "lakeland" note. But then again, that was the last 2 ounces that SP had in stock before I ordered the bricks. We shall see.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got both the Rum Flake and the Chocolate. I think the Chocolate is far better but that's just my taste.

What's odd though is I detect more of a soapy taste when smoking the Bright CR Flake even though the Bright CR isn't supposed to have anything added to it.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried the rum flake but did not care for the Lakeland essence so I gave the tin away. It ghosted the shit out of the pipe I smoked it in after only one bowl. I have yet to smoke the ghost out, I really need to do that though, thanks for reminding me. The pipe I used is an old Peretti straight grain billiard that is a wonderful pipe.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   soymilkisgood, trailboss, warren, pylorns, jiminks, forest7, melvinsunsmokedcastello, tadcar, elduderino, mso489, tobyducote, nurseman, brian64, jmatt, pitchfork