PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
First let me apologize for the rambling format of this post. This is not a review, just an observation.
I popped a tin of this stuff when I first started pipe smoking back in March. I was put off by the perfume not that it gave off. After getting distracted by VaPers, Va's and English blends I considered myself to be a non aromatics guy.
Fast forward about ten months (and since being led to some very nice aromatics that I enjoy) and given a new mission to clean out most of my opened tins so I can get to others in my collection, I got to revisit this flake. I found myself to greatly enjoy it. So much so that I ordered two 500g blocks of the stuff from SP.
I don't mind the slight ghosting it gives to some pipes but I will have to dedicate pipes to my English and VaPer blends.
I've never come across any mention of this flake on the forums and I was just wondering if any of you fine people have tried it and I would like to know what you think of it.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have never tried it but ten months is certainly enough time to let the excessive perfume ventilate and allow you to appreciate the Virginia and Burley tobaccos underneath it...
Congrats on finding a new favourite. It pays to revisit tobaccos that were "unsettling" to us at one time or another...

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
GH has some excellent blends. Not all are heavy Lakeland. The CR Bright VA flake rivals FVF, and the Bob's Chocolate Flake is very good too.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've got four 2007 tins in the cellar, which I picked up after falling in love with SG's Navy Flake (back when it was also sold by Tavern Tobacco as "Blackbeard Queen Anne's Revenge"), but I have yet to try this one.
I bought them assuming that since both Rum Flake and SG's Navy Flake included the addition of rum, they might be similar. And I love GH's Bob's Chocolate Flake, so I trust the brand.
I'm curious, though: Do you think Rum Flake smokes at all like a traditional Navy Flake? That is, a Virginia/burley flake with the addition of rum? Or do you think there's more going on there? Is it actually a Lakeland blend, featuring tonquin?

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Thanks gecko, for identifying Lakeland as the perfume component in the blend. I actually enjoy the RF more as a change up from VaPers and English blends.
I have to say that the bulk version wasn't as strong in the "lakeland" note. But then again, that was the last 2 ounces that SP had in stock before I ordered the bricks. We shall see.....

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've got both the Rum Flake and the Chocolate. I think the Chocolate is far better but that's just my taste.
What's odd though is I detect more of a soapy taste when smoking the Bright CR Flake even though the Bright CR isn't supposed to have anything added to it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tried the rum flake but did not care for the Lakeland essence so I gave the tin away. It ghosted the shit out of the pipe I smoked it in after only one bowl. I have yet to smoke the ghost out, I really need to do that though, thanks for reminding me. The pipe I used is an old Peretti straight grain billiard that is a wonderful pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.