PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I recently had a generous forum member send me two twists—G&H Happy Brown Bogie and Coconut Twist--after he read how much I enjoyed the Rum and Maple Twists. (He shall remain nameless unless he outs himself—I think that’s how it’s generally done?) Anyway, I was very excited to try both these twists, so here is my review on the Happy Brown Bogie.
The brown twists--Irish, bogie, and pigtail—are the same leaf, but just varying sizes of twist. In his video on rope tobacco, Glynn Quelch remarks that one difference in the smaller twists is that you get more of the outer, wrapper leaf, which produces a slightly stronger smoke.
From the first, I noticed the Brown Bogie had a bit stronger tin note than the rum and maple twists—just a tad more cigar like. This may have also been due to the absence of any sweet topping.
Preparation and Smoke:

I slice about 10 coins at a time with my twists these days, rub out, and let dry. I have had to experiment with packing a bit and reconcile myself to relighting a few times especially at the beginning. Once going, however, the twist smokes beautifully. One thing I’ve noticed now that I’ve been smoking ropes almost exclusively for some weeks, is how nonexistent the tongue bit is. In the past I didn’t notice tongue bite, but I went back and smoked an aro and a Va/Per this week and was surprised at the relative bite in these blends. There is none of that with the twists.
Flavor: I love the flavor of these twists. Without any topping and more of the outer leaf, this twist has a deep, rich, spicy flavor that evokes images of an old, British library full of leather-bound books. The taste is bracing—I can perceive the nicotine, and so I can equally picture a hardened sailor chewing this on a creaky old ship. As with the tin note, I did feel it was slightly stronger than the rum and maple version of the bigger Irish twist.
Nicotine level: Strong! I’m generally reluctant to compare nicotine content of blends, as there are so many variables, and I experience different effects even from the same blend depending on when I smoke, etc.—but in one post-dinner smoking session, I became quite light-headed, finished the bowl, took a break with a bowl of a mild aro, and then went to Royal Yacht. I thought the RY might be too much nicotine cumulatively, but I actually recovered from the nic-high while smoking RY, which makes me think that Brown Bogie is quite a bit stronger than Royal Yacht. Since RY used to be firmly in the top tier of blends as far as nicotine kick goes this side by side comparison indicated the Brown Bogie is quite strong indeed.
In Summary: The Brown Bogie combines everything I like about cigars and pipes. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it tastes like a cigar--though several of my friends remarked that it did when I left them have a puff of it. It is smoother, deeper, and richer, but without some of the bitterness I associate with cigars. (Don’t get me wrong—sometimes, I like that bitterness, but it’s more something I enjoy on occasion.) This is a great, relaxing after-dinner smoke--my favorite kind. I will definitely be purchasing some in near future.
I have fallen firmly in love with the dark, African Virginia leaf. There’s nothing quite like it.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Great post. I've been on a plug kick and I'm excited to try rope tobacco but it's never in stock at P&C. :(
Yeah, it's relatively difficult to come by! I saw rum twist was available on smokingpipes, so I bought half a pound of it. (That's a lot for me because I don't smoke that much, and don't have a large collection.) When I tasted it, I was glad I did!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Happy Brown Bogie / Brown Twist Sliced is delicious but will put you on the floor, which (coincidentally) is where I prefer to be.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
I smoked a bowl while my wife read 70 pages to me from C.S. Lewis's Great Divorce on the back patio, so it felt good to be glued to the couch!
Deathmetal, how similar is the taste between Brown Bogie and Brown Twist Sliced? I thought of buying some for a friend because I think he'd really like it, but he is lazy and won't know what to do with a twist. If Brown Twist Sliced is the same, I may go that route.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Hah! The reviewer is quite confused regarding his etymology.
Since I'm an English teacher, I did a little research, and found the term bogey/bogie used as early as 1855 to refer to twist tobacco in Arthur Hill's Food and Its Adulterations (p. 548). It is not used in the slang form for "booger" in any 19th century text I could find--I'd guess that the crude usage has only come much more recently.
As it refers to tobacco, the term derives from a location: the Irish twist, is the thicker rope from Ireland. The Bogie twist, is Scottish, from Strathbogie (now Huntly), which was often referred to as merely "Bogie."
It appears the terminology has remained static since the 1800s, as we read that the Bogie twist is merely a smaller version of the Irish twist--the same distinction that Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. make today: "There is a tradition in the trade that only Irishmen can prepare this particular commodity, and they are as a consequence employed much in the manufacture of it. In Scotland the "bogey" roll is said to be preferred, a small edition of the Irish article, but like it in most other respects" (p. 381, Life and Labour of the People in London: East, Central and South London. Edited by Charles Booth. Williams and Norgate, 1891).

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Thank you for inspiring me to research it: I had always wondered where they term "bogie" came from, but had been too lazy to find out. After I read that, I thought, "That doesn't sound quite right!" and finally put in a little searching to find the origin.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
First class research, Mr. Beast. Such backstories are what give our hobby so much texture and richness. You and misterlowercase should compare notes sometime. Start an online historical detective agency, maybe. :lol:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Deathmetal, how similar is the taste between Brown Bogie and Brown Twist Sliced?
I did not notice any taste differences, but it has been awhile. I like the sliced because it is easier to dry, and even then, it is a bit moist, so you might warn him of that.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I actually prefer the slice, too, just because it's convenient. It's the same rope as Happy Brown just pre sliced. I dry about 2 ounces at a time and then jar it up so its ready to smoke when I am. Once again, great review!

By the way... This rope doesn't get enough love! people are too busy praising hard to find, obscure blends (Strang anyone?) and overlooking blends such as this!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I've been mixing it with Old Joe Krantz. The result is a powerhouse smoke with intense internal variation.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for the input! I may get some brown twist sliced next time then. I think they are probably better at slicing it than I am.

This rope doesn't get enough love! people are too busy praising hard to find, obscure blends (Strang anyone?) and overlooking blends such as this!

Amen to that. Not that I don't think Strang is good (I've never had it), but I think G&H deserves a lot more love than it gets.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Enjoyable review, thank you.

I like to mix my twist with some condor plug, for a life affirming experience.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If Doblone d'Oro had a strong Burley in it, it would be what Strang wants to be, and a perfect replacement for Three Nuns and Superior Round Slices both.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It is not used in the slang form for "booger" in any 19th century text I could find--I'd guess that the crude usage has only come much more recently."
Beastinview, the OED (2nd edition volume 2 page 361) attributes the above meaning to an entry in Partridge's Dict. Of Slang (1937) where he (on page 110) simply dates it early C.20. Interestingly neither of the above volumes mention any connection to tobacco (in any spelling) and nothing was found in Skeat's Etymological Dictionary. Interesting that you found a reference dating to 1855, perhaps you ought contact the OED and give them your findings.
Regards,
Jay.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I've been really curious to try brown bogie as I haven't tried a twist yet. However, my experience with Gawith flakes has been that they've been such a devil to keep lit so I'm afraid of purchasing another of their products.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"However, my experience with Gawith flakes has been that they've been such a devil to keep lit so I'm afraid of purchasing another of their products."
Exactly what I have experienced Jack...and I thought I was doing something wrong!
Regards,
Jay.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Jay, I missed your note regarding the OED!
It's much appreciated, and it wouldn't be the first time I've tracked a term further than has the OED. Perhaps I will drop them a line.
Exactly what I have experienced Jack...and I thought I was doing something wrong!
The Gawith twists and flakes are indeed difficult to keep lit. I've found that I just have to overdo the first light, as I've described here.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Beast I shall have a look later in the Historical Thesaurus of the OED (two monstrous volumes), I often find interesting stuff in there and occasionally something that has been overlooked by the OED. Mind you OED2 is 1989 whereas HTOED is 2009 if memory serves.
Words and their origins fascinate me.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.