PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I need you guys to forget that normally my preferences run toward high intensity tobaccos. "Kendal Burley and Bright" is simply a comfort smoke: Burley dominated by sweet Virginias, emerging with a taste not unlike caramel-coated, lightly roasted oats and nuts. A small amount of geranium oil or something like it intrudes on the flavor, but otherwise these bowls begin with the fresh farm field flavor of Virginias, then gradually the Burleys come into focus, giving it body. This taste does not change over the course of the bowl, but deepens as the sugars in the Virginias melt and the Burleys roast. If you can imagine a spectrum from fresh hay and new honey to roast nuts and molasses, that is roughly the progress of a bowl of this delicious leaf. It burns relatively cool, is mild and has not too much nicotine, but this means that "Burley and Bright" is a smoke that fits into any moment of the day as an easy, carefree and light pipe experience. While on the surface this blend seems less exciting than others, under the hood it is a flavorful and comforting all-day smoke that burns down to a light grey ash with little dottle.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2232#review94174

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10360#review94173
TR had this under two names, so I reposted. This is a great smoke and one that just about anyone can enjoy, especially if the tinge of geranium oil does not dissuade you. Burns cool and long, sweet and yet full. I hope more of you get to try this great blend, even if certain overblown personalities pathetically dependent on internet fame do not like it ;)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Never even heard of this blend which surprises me. Odd that it is described both as 'shag' and 'ready rubbed'.
I shall give this one a go so thanks for the review.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know this blend either, but I take the point that sometimes a good mild blend offers a lot. We all go through spells when we are exploring the heavy-duty full-strength blends, and most of those are quite good to superb. If that's all you smoke though, that's all you'll want, and you can miss a lot. I think a range of strengths gives the most satisfaction for many of us. Some of the high artistry in blending is best shown off in the mild to medium blends with a wider taste range.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I do agree with mso489,The deathmetal descriptions of this blend sound interesting,will put it on my list whether ordering from UK or U.S , as to this moment on the continental EU G&;H blends aren't available.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I would describe this as ribbon cut, not "shag," but thinner than your average cut and more like the thin cuts that Dunhill uses. Despite the low Nicotine, this blend has a great appeal especially to those who want a codger blend that might have the rough edges trimmed off.
The staid and storied English blending house of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. took on this classic American blend and have made a solid version of it. Smooth, mild and cool burning, it provides a comfortable all-day smoke for someone who wants a sweet blend without the excesses of too much Virginia or condimental tobaccos.
On first light, the smoker tastes the honey and hay flavors of the Virginias, but this quickly gives way to a mellower and broader flavor as the sugars melt and the Burley roasts. Aided by a slight amount of tonquin or another vanilla-like topping, this blend then produces a constant stream of gentle flavor like oatmeal with honey and molasses, burning evenly and eventually reducing to the fine grey ash of lore.
Burley and Bright compares well to another one of the “eternal” blend types which is the Dutch style found in Peter Stokkebye’s Amsterdam and commonly-acquired rolling tobacco like Drum halfzware. These tend to combine Dark Fired Kentucky Burley with bright/yellow Virginias for a classic sweet-sour taste.
Where the smoked tobacco gives some spice but dominates the flavor profile in those blends, with Burley and Bright, the only flavor is a cured natural leaf taste which is perhaps less exciting but also better suited to long term smoking. With its cool burning, mild, low strength and appealing flavor, this blend makes the perfect all-day smoke.
http://www.deathmetal.org/lifestyle/gawith-hoggarth-co-burley-and-bright/
Although I have been wanting to cellar tobaccos flavored with bananas, pickles, kiwis, rutabagas, scallions and radishes recently, my focus has switched to this blend which I look forward to hoarding. It mixes quite well with the Cube Cut Burley because without high nicotine I am never sure I am alive, much less actually smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.