PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I was jarring up some bulk G&H rope today and found nails in each coil, this was the first time I’ve jarred bulk rope, so is this common or was I just lucky? Also, I understand that G&H uses the nails to hold the ropes together at the factory, but damn...I thought they would at least remove the sharp, rusty nails from the tobacco before they sold it to the distributor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whoa, that's not good. Packing your pipe, at least you can find them, but they pumped up the weight and price, in addition to being an unpleasant "foreign object." Pipe tobacco tends to be blended by hand, so mistakes do happen. But nails, please.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wow Kyle, haven't seen that yet, and I have some of ropes from years back, and haven't found any yet.....yet. Will definitely keep an eye out, thanks for the heads up!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Both Kendal houses use one nail at the base to keep the coil from uncoiling, probably because that's what they've always used. Rope is a very traditional product/preparation. At one time there were dozens of English tobacco shops, each with their own rope. Maybe they think that if you don't catch on the first time you will the second. Just snip it off. You lose at most 3/4". You might just smoke through it. I never did but heh, I may have missed out on a stellar rope experience, kind of like drinking the worm at the bottom of the mescal bottle.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I found a nail in sweet maple twist last year. It happens. It isn’t a big deal per se, but (and it’s a big but) I often chew sweet maple twist, so now I’m always leery.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I understand that G&H uses the nails to hold the ropes together at the factory
Yep, that's how they do it. Pull nail out, smoke away! I've found them in most "Bee Hives" when I get them...

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I got a nail once in a 500 gr package of Black Irish X. I just figured it was normal.
jay-roger.jpg

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
metal + moisture = rust, No bueno.
sharp object, no bueno.
Yep, what I'm afraid is rust. Better throw out some of the tobacco that in contact with the nail. CMIIW

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Their ropes are LITERALLY made in a museum. A still-functioning factory/museum that hasn't changed in a couple centuries. (Their other blends are made across town, but the ropes are still made where they began).
Me? I like the nails n'shit... :lol: It isn't a QC issue, it's living history.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It doesn’t turn me off, I just would have liked a heads up before I “found” a rusty nail. Now I know to look for them......The More You Know!

Status
Not open for further replies.