PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
I know what you're going to say.
"Why did you do two reviews in one day? First, that Black XX and now this? You're crazy, man!"
And my answer to this is:
"Because I wanted to see what would happen."
A few hours ago I decided to review Sam Gawith's Black XX, and the little story regarding the smooth-hitting alcoholic drink sneaking up like a ninja freight train rings JUST as true as this twist. There is far more power here than one should ever hyper-indulge upon. This made me feel terrible, too.
So we're looking at a black cherry twist pipe tobacco this time. Somewhat similar in nature to aromatics with their exciting aroma, but not quite as pungent, the black cherry casing is actually quite light in the pouch note, and the tobacco aroma is present as well. It smells like a very diluted Paladin or Captain Black Cherry, if you can imagine this.
Moisture out of the pouch-- well, it's moist. You'd perhaps find this to be a dipping tobacco, so I let it dry out for about 20 minutes. I repeated the preparation method here as with the Black XX, using scissors to snip it into smaller pieces. Some may find it beneficial to dry for up to an hour, but that's only speculation at this point. It greatly depends on your dryness preference.
Charring light-- Because of the moisture content, I was unable to get a decent charring light going. I think I'll leave some out to dry overnight and for most of the day and report back tomorrow.
True light-- Once again, moisture presented itself a problem, but once it got going, it stayed going with some effort. I'm very sure if I dried the entirety of the contents out over time it would burn just fine.
Taste-- You do get quite a tobacco taste, which is expected [hint: it is tobacco], but the light cherry casing allows for just a hint. It's not overpowering like other cherry aromatics-- but the plus side here is that you get the full body profile WITH an aromatic, so it works out in the end. I can't say anything about tongue bite here. I'm afraid to try to puff this blend after my Black XX experience.
Room note-- I smoke outside, but when the wind subsides long enough to swirl the smoke I get a sort-of cherry-ish scent, but with enough tobacco in the foreground to let you know who's dominating the air here.
Nicotine hit-- It is not a belly with butterflies unless it's love. This is a demon weed, you guys. Demon weed knows no love. Those are more like angry hornets buzzing about in your digestive tract, awaiting their release in the form of liquid poison. But if you treat those hornets nicely, they may just let you live. Just maybe.
YMMV. But I understand very much what it means to sip a pipe. The purpose was to prepare you for extra stout tobaccos. If you don't learn by this point, you will wise up pretty fast. I've learned my lesson. That's what novices have to do for the masters-- become humbled.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Great review, I was about to order some XX and then after this I'll have to add some Black Cherry Twist as well.

I'll need to quit reading reviews or find some willpower.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I find that if this is allowed to age for a while it is a really nice smoke, and easier to keep lit. It has a nice raw tobacco flavor and a good strength.

tsuge-0915-600x448.jpg

nepenthe1

Lurker
Sep 20, 2012
I'm a real fan of Gawith & Hoggarth blends. My interest peaked when I learned that they are still blending with the same machinery that they used before 1790. The British government has declared them a national treasure for being the only firm in the world that still uses the same machinery that they used in the industrial revolution.. For some great pics; http://lohandbehold.com/2011/03/17/samuel-gawith-factory-visit/

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
That's pretty awesome nepenthe! Using machinery from over 275 years ago really shows the truest spirit of using the same methods as those practiced way back when!

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
It's no secret but I didn't see it mentioned here. The best way to slice rope (IMHO) is with a cigar guillotine. Perfect thin coins every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.