PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
When I first acquired this tobacco back in 2010, I really enjoyed the big sweet smooth flavors. I have to say that "essence" they use can be a bit too floral for some since it had a big presence when I first got this tobacco. Some folks describe it soapy, and I have to agree with this description. But the tobacco flavors were outstanding. So I jarred it up and let it sit for 4 years before trying it again.
I grabbed the jar and opened it, as I did the lid let out a loud POP and the top flew off. The gasses built up over the years. The smell of sweet dried fruit dominated my senses. The flakes are packed loose so when I was grabbing the flakes, they ended up breaking off becoming broken flakes. So I rubbed them out. You can see dusts of sugar indicating aged tobacco.
At first light, that floral essence that had a big presence when I first got the tobacco is now more of an afterthought, becoming far less noticeable in the palate. What really impressed me was the BIG sweet tobacco flavors. The smoke that fills the palate is generous with awesome Virginia flavors.
This tobacco definitely improves with age, with the biggest improvement is that floral essence diminishing over time and the sweet tobacco flavors dominating the senses. What an awesome tobacco.
CIMG2766.JPG

CIMG2767.JPG

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Perceptions of the floral/soap Lakelands taste in this particular blend vary widely. I've smoked a fair amount of it myself, though not in the last couple years. I also cellared some for at least a year or two and didn't feel like the Lakelands taste ever really disappeared, only that I stopped noticing it after smoking a few bowls. In any event, I enjoyed it well enough even fresh, though I agree it ages nicely. I like recommending this to folks looking to try a Lakelands-style flake without going too far overboard.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
That looks very tasty. As you say, I've found with some GH blends that the essence seems to mute with age so I'm a little bit torn about cellaring them - because often what I like about a specific GH blend is the scent they add. I'm smoking fresh Bosun Cut Plug Unscented right now and frankly, it's still rather scented. I wouldn't really want to smoke it truly unscented! It'd be an entirely different beast.
I agree with tppytel too, BBF #2 is a good starter lakeland.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've always viewed this blend with suspicion being that it takes the name of a famous SG blend, Best Brown. But I read there is much to recommend it. I stand corrected.
I like the gas output as a sign of fermentation. I'm far from knowing what this specifically portends/how the blend has aged, but aged it has.

So, the gasses had built up, instead of creating a vacuum? I have only seen that in tins that were heat processed. In everything that I have jarred, the aging has created a vacuum.
I have tried this one. I couldn't get past the lakeland essence. I tried and tried. I even sacrificed a pipe to lakelands, but...

It also baffled me why the Best Brown and Best Brown 2 have such similar names, yet such different flavors. Trying the number 2 first really put me off on ever trying the regular one, which is actually a pure tobacco flavor, and a good one at that. It kills me how uncreative the people who name most tobaccos can be.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
OK,

Your pictures made me go into the stash and break out some of this flake. Being the tobacco slut that I am, there's few blends that I don't like as long as they are not Latakia Bombs. The Gawith & Hoggarth flakes are amazing. Glengarry is one of my all time favorites and you are certainly correct when you say that they improve with age. thanks for the photos. Great stuff.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
All these posts lately discussing lakeland blends got me worked up to smoke some. I have three blends to choose from, so last night I opened my jar of Brown Flake Scented. I find it a nice middle ground between Ennerdale, and Glengarry, the other two blends I have. I forget sometimes how much I like these once I get past the tin note. I don't get the soapy, grandmothers underwear essence from them at all when I smoke them. Yes they have a distinct taste, but it still tastes like tobacco to me. I have 3 pipes dedicated to them, two briars, and a cob.

I got to remember to break these tobaccos out more, it was a great smoke sitting around the fire pit with a little bourbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.