PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I received a sample of this fine tobacco today. Sliced some off the plug, let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Smoked it in my BC Bulldog.
Now, I understand that I'm new to tobaccos and pipes, but this Latakia blend doesn't smell anything like the other Latakia blends that I have - e.g. Frog Morton Cellar, Dunhill 965, London Mixture. I'm not complaining - it's just quite different, to my nose, anyway.
It seems every time I try a new tobacco it becomes my favorite. I have a few more new tobaccos that arrived with this sample, so perhaps tomorrow I'll have another new favorite. I do know this: my next order will include an 8 oz tin of Gaslight.
I did have some difficulty keeping it lit, however. Perhaps it needed to dry more, though it didn't smoke wet (or hot). And I packed the bowl very loosely.
Even with the re-lights, this was a wonderful smoke on a rather cool and windy Cleveland summer evening.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Greg's Gas Light is fabulous stuff that smokes slowly and calmly. Glad you are liking it.

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks for the info andya27! I'm going to have to pick me up some of this stuff and try it out myself now. :D

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Gaslight has quickly become one of my favorites. It does benefit from around an hour or so of drying time before loading. Nice BC you have there as well.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Got a sample of Gaslight from SP and the "tin note" is bloody awful. But I learned a long time ago the tin note can be far different from the tongue & room notes. So I'll rub some out, let it dry a little, smoke it up and see what folks are raving about. :puffpipe:

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
I love how these Gaslight threads keep popping up! I bet that if you asked around the forum most members would agree that Gaslight is in their top five blends. It really is awesome, and I'm glad you've found it. :puffy:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Hmmm to me it smelled like the bottom of metal trash can that needed cleaning and pieces of half charred firewood . Much like Patrick every time I go to the store I smell the plumbs ,apricots and raisins but have never smelled them in a blend well except for Melange .

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Gaslight just isn't tripping my trigger ... much to my chagrin! :?
I can't really say why yet. The initial char has that nice Oriental forward taste

but about 1/2 way into the smoke it just bonks. I've tried it in a smaller bowl, looser packed, etc...

Also, this blend does not seem to react well to DGT's.
With so many English blends available, they really have to shine to stand out in a crowd for me.
Recently, thanks to the Box Pass, I tried F&K Sterling Balkan and this one did "shine" for me.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Just for the record.... I gave mine away. I dont see it as a latakia blend. I think it smelled better than it smoked. The leafy deal didnt appeal to me much. Way too wet and dryed it just didnt taste as good. Probably more my style of smoking that it doesnt fit with.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have to smoke more to a few more bowls before I can make a full opinion. I do find it a bit "shocking" for the first third of the bowl and smoother as I go. Maybe some age will help.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I would say that it's probably quite a bit more finicky than something like Odyssey or Abingdon or even Quiet Nights. I think this is due to being a plug.
I had my best results when sliced at maybe 1/8" and rubbed fully out and dried for a while and gravity-packed with no pressure.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I agree with cobguy and hawke. There are much better English blends out there, if Gaslight could even be called "English", didn't get much Latakia out of my 1/2 oz sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.