PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
This relatively new Pease blend continues to bubble up as one of the very best tobaccos I've smoked. Full latakia to be sure, but well-spiced with Orientals; the latakia is not only full but immediate in a way that other such full blends are not. While other heavy latakia blends are full, to me Gaslight is fuller, and I would love to know what processing/blending trick was done to make it downright delicious. By emphasizing its fullness, I am not referring to the percentage of latakia.
I'm a hoarder and I've set my accumulative sights to 20 lbs on this one. I reach my comfort zone by a rather imprecise calculation of how much I would need on hand to last the rest of my life, whatever taxes are assessed.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I believe Gaslight contains perique, which would definitely add to the "fullness" you're experiencing.
Greg himself has been a bit vague about this. But when I told him I'm very sensitive to perique, he advised me to pass on Gaslight.
Bob

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
An outstanding blend but heed his advice to pack is loosely or you'll be working your pipe for a very long time. A looser pack really does bring out the flavors better IMHO, especially in something like a pot shape.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Haven't tried Gaslight. I'll put in a good word for GLP Triple Play, cube but a different animal from Gaslight,

I believe. It's not part of my rotation, just a great change of pace when I want something strong and subtle.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I wouldn't have thought of Perique in Gaslight.
I smoked a tin of Triple Play and I never got it. If it's taste is subtle, that sounds right as I spent the whole tin wondering where the characteristic VA/Perique flavors had gone. But this is a different kind of subtleness than that to which I'm accustomed. Solani Black and White is subtle, but I do believe I have identified the flavor. Stonehaven is subtle but excellent nonetheless. But for me Triple Play was more than subtle; it was, in fact, downright elusive.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Gaslight is magical stuff that puts me in a trance.
A little bit goes a long way and I find a pipe of it can easily last an hour.
I imagine that the pressing does something to deepen the flavor.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012

2.375 Pounds in my cellar.
I don't know if Mr. Pease's processing/blending trick has anything to do with a deal made at a crossroads with a certain fellow or what but it is indeed magical.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
22cans only measures out to just over 2lbs. wow that really puts some perspective on how much ill be buying.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I heard so many great things about Gaslight that I ordered 3 tins a few months ago. Personally, I've been a little underwhelmed. I've heard so many people wax poetic about it that I think my expectations were a little high. To me it's a decent smoke, but there are definitely many more tobaccos of the same style that I enjoy more at the moment. I've got one tin open and I'll slowly finish smoking it. The other tins I'm going to let age for a while. They're probably 6 months old at the moment. I'll probably give it another 6 months to a year and try it again. There are several blends that I wasn't crazy about at first that I loved after a year or two of aging.
PS - It definitely tastes like there's perique in it to me. I find it to be one of the spicier latakia blends I've smoked. Maybe it's just my particular body chemistry with this blend because I smoke VA/Pers all the time and don't get the amount of pepper that I get from Gaslight, especially when exhaling through the nose.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
The best thing about Gaslight (besides what others have said about it smoking characteristics) is that it is readily available and not sold out 360 days out of the year like Penzance. 8)

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
A lot of English/Latakia blends are better than Penzance. G.L's Quiet Nights is the closest in similarities, IMO. I was recommended to try it by Jeremy over at SPC when i called with a question a little while ago. I ordered some and smoked them both back to back with a few hours and a meal in between each and honestly, i agree with him. It is a wonderful blend. Not to derail off of delicious Gaslight topic, just another suggestion and another opinion regarding Penzance being overrated. G.L. Pease does not make many bad tobaccos, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.