PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
As a newbie pipe smoker (newbie smoker) I would like to smoke outside year round but but it gets cold in Michigan so I would like to set up a corner of the garage where I can crack a side door open and have a space heater or two. I have found some old threads about people being "banished" to the garage to smoke, etc. but I have a specific question that I could not find addressed.
In the two car garage I have a car, snowblower, lawnmower, and two gas cans - is it safe to smoke in there or am I a future nominee for a Darwin Award?
*edited to add - my avatar shows up in my profile, but not on my posts, a little help?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The biggest downside of garage smoking is not having any ventilation. My neighbour solves this by cracking the window and door a little bit. There's no danger of explosions or anything like that unless you are emptying ashes directly on top of a gas can.
As for your avatar, yes it is a little confusing. Check the settings in your profile under 'public' and make sure it appears there.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Hmmm...it does seem to appear there:

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/johnmosesbrowning/profile/public
And the aspect that I don't know enough about is the fact that gas fumes are more flammable than the liquid in the can. But in a sealed gas tank or container there aren't sufficient fumes escaping to be of any concern?

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Its a bit of a myth , the explosion thing , you would need a lot of mixing and lots of warm air and gas to create the right conditions . Anyhoo , gas has mercaptans you can smell , so it’s not a danger in confined spaces .
Last point ... garages have lots of built in ventilation through doors and openings by design . When i smoke in my garage , I open the rear door a crack and the roll up door just a little , it creates a perfect draft since my garage has a North South orientation.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
*edited to add - my avatar shows up in my profile, but not on my posts, a little help?
There are two profiles. One for the magazine and one for the forum. Go to http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/profile/johnmosesbrowning. Click "profile" in the upper right and post your avatar there.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
There's really no such thing as a "sealed" gas tank or container, and if yours are, they shouldn't be. There has to be venting of some sort to prevent the vessel from swelling and/or bursting with temperature fluctuations.
I would never recommend smoking in any space where volatile chemicals are stored, especially if you are heating it against winter cold. Unless the largest quantity is a little square bottle of Testor's model paint thinner on your work bench. Then, I would probably risk it. In the same space as gas cans? I would not.
EDIT: And by the way, I really liked your work with Colt and Winchester back in the day.

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
Unless the gas cans are emptied out on the ground or on yourself, or unless you plan on running the car with the garage doors closed you're safe.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Install a passive flue vent if you are really wigged out about it
My car garage has a lawnmower , a motorbike and an oil furnace and electric baseboard heat in it . The insurance dude says , y’a , so what , so I’m pretty sure we’re safe.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
nless the gas cans are emptied out on the ground or on yourself, or unless you plan on running the car with the garage doors closed you're safe.
You would need to pour the gasoline out , warm it up , run around in circles to ensure good mixing and then , maybe ...

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
I smoke in exactly these conditions, and in Michigan no less. I've had a couple of small explosions, but nothing too serious. The worst shattered the glass panes in the side door to the house, but the door was old and the glass panes were thin by modern standards. Unfortunately, it was also sufficient to crack the meer I was smoking. I switched from premium to regular unleaded, which seems to help, and from torch lighters to matches.
The others startled me but didn't do any real damage. I rest my ashtray on a propane tank, and when one of those things goes off, it's LOUD.
Hope this helps.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Well I got the Avatar part figured out, so thank you for that!
It seems like there is a consensus that a can of lawnmower gas at the other end of the garage isn't going to blow me up when I have a pipe out there. I'll have some ventilation for sure, and it sounds like that'll be enough. It's a pretty steep learning curve however.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not to be the thread's nervous nelly, I still think this is a good matter of safety to keep in mind. A good fire extinguisher at hand would be smart. Spilled gas and other volatiles send fumes along the floor, so could reach you before the smell does. Garages make good getaways and smoking areas. Just keep fire safety in mind and take precautions. Cars run so quietly now, so be aware that the the vehicle engines are "off."

Status
Not open for further replies.