Garage Sale Score: Tightening a Peterson Meer System?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
So I just did my xmas shopping, and on the way hope I see this old lady selling stuff in her front yard.
Yep, a Peterson Meerschaum system, burried in gunk and with a lose stem... going for $20. (around $25ish US)
So after a cleaning, I realised that the stem is a little loose, but beyond that, it looks relatively new again..
Any advice on how to make it slightly tighter?

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
yeah, I wasn't sure if its still relevant to the Meer systems, cos unlike the briars, they have a little plastic or rubber sleeve in the mortise..

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
System friction mount, right? First, clean the stem really well. Wipe the mating area with a little alcohol. Clean the mortise gasket too. Sometimes that's enough. Otherwise, a little beeswax will probably help it stick. It won't take much.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Avoid alcohol when cleaning a meerschaum pipe. I am not entirely sure why, but alcohol and meerschaum do not mix well. Beeswax should be safe enough.
Could you post a picture of the pipe? I am not sure whether we are talking about Turkish meerschaum or African meerschaum, and the difference between the two may be enough to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.