PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I have done so. Temps in an unheated garage are somewhat warmer than outside but not by much. I've noticed no ill effects. But as my collection has grown and become more costly, why I've moved the whole shebang indoors. The pipes seem happier for it. No more loose stems and all.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Yep I'm with Kasmir bring them in and take them out with you for a smoke. Cob could be another option.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I smoke in the garage year round (northern IL) with a space heater. I keep the pipes inside.

den-448x600.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is my spot from October through mid-May. The pipes reside inside the houseut I'm here from morning until night. Me, pipes, ceramic heater, satellite radio, laptop and my MGB.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I smoke in the garage and outside. I converted my third car garage into my man cave. But for now I keep my pipes and tobacco inside the house. The wife hates it and wishes it can all go in the cave. But I am worried about my pipes. I live in Northern CA so the temps are not too extreme. Except for summer. Temps can get up to 110+.
Lately Ive been thinking I might be able to insulate a cabinet to keep in the garage. But its just a thought for now.

docstout

Lurker
Nov 18, 2013
Since I've started back up again, I've smoked exclusively in or just outside the garage, though this may have been mostly because my wife smokes her cigarettes out there, and it just seemed natural (as well as where all the matches and lighters were located.)

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Most of my pipes stay comfortably in the house, venturing outside when they go to work, but returning after an hour or so to rest a while. A few live in my shop, and a couple hang out in the garage. That's not as bad a duty as you might think: the garage is fully insulated and finished, seldom going below 55° even when it dips to single digits outside, and the shop, too, is fully insulated, finished, and heated, seldom below 62° at its coldest. Neither gets above 75° during the summer even when triple digits outside. Yup, they're kinda pampered.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
All my pipes always in the garage, tobacco too (in ziplocks inside tupperware canisters). Never a problem, but it's a warm climate.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I keep a corncob pipe in the garage for when I am working on something. Other than that, all my pipes stay in the house unless I am smoking one.

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I have a few that live in the garage rack but the majority live in the house. The ones in the garage are for when I head out for a smoke and forget to bring a pipe, this happens more often than you would think with me, or for when I am tinkering about and decide to have one they are right there. I keep 3 cobs and 4 briars of varying size in case I need anything from a short to a medium long smoke. Oh and I am in Colorado so it gets pretty cold out there sometimes but so far other than a loosish stem when its below freezing no problems.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My pipes are always inside my home. I would never subject my babies to large swings in temperature. If your garage stays at a constant number say 55-65 then that should be fine, but if the temp varies like 30 degrees it is not good for the pipes as too much contraction or expansion is not a good thing.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Keep my pipes inside but very commonly smoke in the garage even when it's nice out. Don't like the South Dakota wind when trying to enjoy a pipe.
Actually smoking in the garage now. A balmy 37 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.