G&H - Dark Flake... An Earthy (Slightly Moldy) Mushroom Taste?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
For several years, I've been rather apprehensive about sampling Lakeland style blends, do to the overwhelming aroma of some of the offerings, which I didn't find agreeable.
However, few weeks back, a fellow forum member was generous enough to be sending out samples of the infamous Condor, and he was kind enough to send me a pipeful. After loading my bowl, I was hooked! Condor had this deep, rich funk that reminded me of the of the room-note I would be greeted with, entering my uncle's old farmhouse, when I was a child. This blend's flavor is what I assumed pipe tobacco would taste like when I first started enjoying the pipe.
The downside: I live in the U.S., where Condor isn't easily accessible. So, I dropped into my local B&M to pick the brains of the boys behind the briar bar.
"That's Lakeland, man!" my buddy pipped up.
"I thought Lakeland was more of a heavy floral taste?" I inquired.
"There's a lot of different Lakeland blends."
So, I jumped back onto the forums, and messages a couple patient members, asking for their personal opinions and guidance ― and, never disappointed, I received great advice.
I've gone through several suggested blends this week, and while I have yet to capture that Condor flavor (though, I haven't made it to St. Bruno, yet), I have experienced several pleasant smokes. It's exciting to be broadening my tobacco horizons; discovering flavors all over again. This, of course, is a delight to my local tobacconist, who are more than willing to through an extra bit of something into every order from the shop.
My first question: I'm smoking some G&H Dark Flake, that I'm enjoying immensely; however, upon relights, there a few moments of a deep earth/mushroom/slightly molded taste. It isn't unpleasant, but I also don't want to be smoking a "bad" blend. The tobacco is extremely dry (and was so, in the bulk jar) and there are no visual signs of mold or fuzz. For those who have enjoyed this blend before, is this a typical flavor? If so, great! Because I kinda dig it.
The last question: I'm sitting on samples of Best Brown #2, Kendale Dark, Conistan Flake Plug, Ennerdale, and St. Bruno flake. I've been trying to get my paws on Dark Bird's Eye, Bob's Chocolate Flake, and War Horse Green... So, to Lakeland Lovers, in your opinion are there any other blends I should be on the look out for, or is this list pretty much complete introduction?
Thank you in advance for any insight you may be able to provide!
― P.S. FYI: Condor will ghost even a Meerschaum.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Jeffery welcome to the dark lake.

I understand what your taste buds are saying regarding that leaf mold flavour. I find it to be a nocturnal tilled earth kind of vibe.Although I do get a bit of molasses that sweetens up the symphony.
To your list I'd add Bosun Cut Plug and ODF to your list. ODF is not particularly a lakeland but has that earthy flavour.
Kendal Cream Flake and 1792 Flake should be in your sights too.
Right que the grannies knickers knockers :nana:

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
When I'm craving some Condor, but don't have it available, I usually turn to Peterson's Irish Flake. I find it to be very similar and it has a decent nic hit like Condor.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Thank you, Oldreddog.
Yes, Dark Flake is fast becoming a preferred blend. I'm enjoying the deep earth and cigar flavor. Best Brown #2 was nice (I enjoy Brown Brown more), but this Dark Flake is just hitting all the right notes for me.
I've smoked 1792 for a couple of years, but I have to be in the mood for the bitterness, making it a once in a while blend. ODF is usually on my rotation! We seem to have similar taste, sir; so, I will certainly be on the hunt for Bonsun Cut Plug and Kendal Cream.
Thanks again!

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Dark Flake is NOTHING like Condor. I don't put Condor in the same Lakeland category. Recently, I have learned that there are categories within categories when it comes to Lakelands. Condor is closer to the Irish plugs than the grandma's pink soaps.
I agree. Condor doesn't have a floral flavor, as much as a dark, pungent funk. St. Bruno has had the closest tin note (which doesn't mean much), so I have high hopes; however, others have mentioned that Condor is unique. I might just have to try to make an international order this summer.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
St. Bruno is a little different than Condor, but definitely good in it's own right.

Sorry but I don't have the palate to describe the differences.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Dark Flake (scented) is one of my all time favorite tobacco blends... along with Condor, and now Velvan Plug (of course just in time for them to take it off the market).
Good stuff!
You can have Condor shipped to the States but it will cost you... It's worth every penny in my opinion and I have more of it than any other tobacco in my cellar. I get the plugs from J Fox, the ready rubbed from a fellow member and the Long Cut from Mr. Snuff... used to get it much cheaper through GQ but those days are gone forever...
Other blends to be on the look out for:
Coniston Cut Plug/Bosun Cut Plug

SG Lakeland Dark

You should really enjoy St. Bruno as well but it ain't no Condor in my eyes.

Velvan Plug (if ya can find it)

I would also suggest delving into the GH&Co. ropes.
And yes, I get that earthy vibe from Dark Flake you're not smoking bad tobacco! Promise.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I agree. Condor doesn't have a floral flavor
I think people get confused about florals. I detect a very strong floral presence in Condor and St. Bruno but they are not perfumed or scented like some of the GH&Co. I get some florals with citrus notes in Condor.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Might consider GH Grassmere Flake and SG Grousemoor Plug. Both excellent, imo.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've smoked tons of Dark Flake, and it is my favorite tobacco, very flavorful and very high nicotine. Black rope is equal in strength but the brown is even stronger, and I've never been able to like it. D. Flake to me has a vegetal/weedy taste amidst its dark, potent taste.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Condor is closer to the Irish plugs than the grandma's pink soaps."
There is a very good reason for this...it is an Irish Plug.
It really annoys me to hear folk refer to Condor as being a Lakeland product.
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It really annoys me to hear folk refer to Condor as being a Lakeland product.
Jay, I never smoked Condor, so I'm not guilty of that; but, given the utility of categorizing blends into a limited number of genres,

it sounds to me like "Lakeland" is a best fit for Condor.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Jeffrey:

If you like G&H Dark Flake, Unscented, you might try G&H Dark Plug, Unscented - richer, mellowed, & slightly stronger nicotine.

It is periodically available at SmokingPipes.com or MarsCigar.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.