Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

G. L. Pease website down (or am I blocked)?

(33 posts)
  1. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

Every time I try to access http://www.glpease.com/ it seems to be down, and I just say "oh well" and move on. Today it actually occurred to me that the problem might be on my end

And, indeed, http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http://www.glpease.com/ says that the site is up. Perhaps my IP address is blocked? Does anyone someone I could talk to?

Thanks

Get Pipe Notebook for Android on the Play Store!
    http://pipenotebook.com
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see the site just fine. What did you you do to get the boot?

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They're probably trying to save you from your TAD.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

Bloody nanny state!!

I can only assume they've blocked a large IP range which happens to include mine. From what I recall, I can access it neither from work (where I am now) nor from home.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You said "Bloody" so you must be British. That explains it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

So, are you saying that only Aromatic people can access the website?

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wasn't thinking that at first, but now that you mention it.., ha ha ha!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Were you trolling GLP's website for aromatic users? Shame on you.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Ask someone else who is in Amsterdam. The site is up here in Chicago.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This simple URL works in N. CA: http://www.glpease.com.

Have you tried a different browser or cleared cookies from that site?

Location?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Flush your DNS cache. Although some webmasters ban whole countries, it doesn't seem likely in this case.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

Well, it doesn't work at home, work or over 3G. So I don't think it's a single IP or even DNS. Looks like someone blocked ALL THE THINGS!!!1

I tried using a proxy in the UK and managed to access the website, so I do think it's a country-wide block (or at least a very broad IP range). And, to top it off, I tried to use the contact form, but it keeps saying my email is invalid (even though it's not, and I tried several different ones).

Why are they avoiding me? I didn't *really* call anyone "aromatic", I swear

So, does anyone here have an email address of someone I can talk to?

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried using a proxy in the UK and managed to access the website, so I do think it's a country-wide block (or at least a very broad IP range).

Run a traceroute, see where the trail ends.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

I did, and it stops at their provider:

[rbp@stamppotje:~]$ traceroute glpease.com
    traceroute to glpease.com (66.117.154.117), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
    (...)
    12 66-117-144-146.lmi.net (66.117.144.146) 191.262 ms 409.794 ms 209.532 ms
    13 * * *

[rbp@stamppotje:/Users/rbp]$ dig +short glpease.com
    [rbp@stamppotje:/Users/rbp]$ dig +short -t soa glpease.com
    ns2.lmi.net. noc.lmi.net. 2015061600 14400 7200 3600000 86400

So it's quite clear that the problem is at their end. I've had this before, IIRC, with this very forum. I contacted one of the moderators and they unblocked the range that included my IP (I can only assume some Dutch script kiddies find it funny to launch silly attacks from here)

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Here it also is not available for longer periods of time.. And then sometimes it suddenly is. Noooo idea why..

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...the Dutch kiddies throwing their wooden shoes into the machines. Well, I hope they get it sorted out. Why would you want to log into the blog anyways? Are you that much of a GLP fan? I mean, great if you are. But, I really like lots of company's products that I don't necessarily want to follow their blog. Wait, do you have both of your wooden shoes? Have you been clogging the Pease cogs? Let's see them shoes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

Greg told me he doesn't like you, that's why you're blocked from his site.

"Tobacco is my favorite vegetable". Frank Zappa (Yeah, baby; yeah!)
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

Greeeeeg!!! :shakesfist:

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

Cosmic: well, I am a fan, but the thing is that every now and then I hear of a new blog post and I can't read it. I also want to look at the tobacco list and their descriptions from there. So, no, it's no life-or-death matter (and I've not been able to access it for a long time before I decided to ask around or even check if it was only me). But a "good-to-have".

Greg should definitely sort this out, and call his next creation "Echie's Blend", to apologise. Or perhaps "Bloody Hell". Or at the very least "Cloggie"

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

That's because he thinks a Brit gent liking aromatics is unbecoming.

Seriously, though, I have no idea why you're experiencing this IT difficulty. Were you looking for something specific on the website? Maybe I could be of assistance.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Have you been clogging the Pease cogs? Let's see them shoes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

I don't, that's what irks me! I shouldn't have called Greg an aro-lover, though

Thanks, pipebuddy. I just wanted a look at the different series, and used a proxy for that. It's just a small annoyance (and I suppose I can also always use the wayback machine). Didn't mean to kick up much of a fuss, just hoped someone would say "Ah, yes, of course, I'm the webmaster there. Fixed!"

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

arno

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

Original Mixtures

Excellent cube-cut Burley, chosen for its deep, nutty flavors, forms a robust foundation for this sophisticated blend. Rich, red Virginia tobaccos are added for their subtle sweetness and complexity, while the unique spice of perique provides added dimension. A delicate kiss of brandy polishes the blend to a perfect finish. Barbary Coast is delightfully satisfying, with hints of black walnut, dark chocolate, and dried fruits. The perfect "all-day" smoke.

The name, Barbary Coast, came from my good friend Toren Smiith, in one of the most mind-stunning stream of consciousness, free association, brain dump emails I've ever received. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was the perfect name. Thanks, Toren, and everyone else who sent great suggestions! The prize? You're lookin' at it, buddy! Fame, but no fortune.

Barbary Coast was introducd in March, 2001

photo

Cairo is a wonderfully complex mixture of red, orange and bright Virginia tobaccos, exotic oriental leaf, and just a whisper of perique. The flavor is naturally sweet, slightly nutty, delicately spicy and rich. Subtle citrus-like notes harmoniously support the more robust flavors of the darker Virginias. Cairo is a medium bodied but very satisfying tobacco with a delicate aroma that will be enjoyed by Virginia lovers and the connoisseur of oriental mixtures alike.

Cairo is one of my favorite cities in the near-East, perhaps even the world. When I was there, the energy of the place inspired me in ways I'd never imagined. This tobacco has a distinctly oriental character, reminiscent of the spice markets in the bazaar. What else could I call it?.

Cairo was introduced in March, 2000

photo

Caravan was a long time in the making, and I'm really excited about it. For years, I've wanted to produce a nice, medium Balkan style blend with lots of wonderful Orientals, rich with Latakia, and just enough Virginia to give everything else something to hang on to. After a lot of almost right prototypes, I found the missing piece to the puzzle in some magnificent Oriental leaf that had been right under my nose all along. After a little tuning, Caravan was born.

A lovely spice up front mingles with all those delightfully exotic Oriental flavors. The smoke/leathery notes of Cyprian Latakia weave their way through the smoke assertively, but never in an overbearing manner. A zesty, but delicate sweetness punctuates the statements made by the rest of the tobaccos. The finish is lingering, but won't overstay its welcome. Caravan is full and exotic; rich and spicy. A classic Balkan style blend with our own special touch.

Caravan was introduced in May, 2001

photo

Early in 2002, we were offered some really special leaf. (Read on. I'll reveal its secret identity soon enough.) Samples arrived, and I was immediately absorbed with its the richness, the depth of its smoke, and its beautiful, deep color. After experimenting with it for weeks, I finally had the recipe for Cumberland.

"We'll take it all!" I could barely contain my enthusiasm. When this is gone, there won't be any more. Fortunately, there was a lot of it, and won't run out any time soon. I'll be able to produce about 60,000 tins of this blend before the special leaf is nothing but ash and memories. However, I'm very encouraged by recent crops. At some point, I'll have to refomulate the blend a little, but I'm confident I'll be able to retain its character.

Ripe, red Virginia tobaccos create the frame in which some truly special Kentucky dark-fired leaf is exhibited. This leaf has a depth and richness that is rarely seen in tobaccos of its type. A measure of stoved and matured flue-cured is added to provide a gentle sweetness and solidify the foundation. A little Louisiana perique provides a piquant spice, and a subtle fruitiness. The flavor may be somewhat reminiscent of some of the classic English tobaccos of the past, but this is truly a unique blend. It's at once bold and demure, making a delightfully profound first impression, then gradually revealing its more subtle charms over a few bowls' courtship. It's sophisticated personality will be appreciated by those around the smoker as well.

July, 2012 UPDATE: Just now, I responded to an email from a chap wanting to know when the aged Kentucky would likely run out. I'm a little embarrassed to say we actually ran out of it some time ago. I didn't even know until some months after the fact, and then, I completely forgot about updating the site and the labels, and there you have it. I've since smoked the new KY alongside some of the aged stuff I have in the library, and am hard pressed to tell much difference, straight, and when blended, they're almost totally indistinguishable to my palate, so we can all stop worrying about when Cumberland will go out of production. As long as we can get dark-fired KY leaf of this quality, we can keep producing it.

The new stuff has been in use for long enough that I can safely say that if anyone was going to notice, myself included, it would have happened, so there it is. I'll change the labels for the next print run, and scrape the egg off my face.

Cumberland was introducd in April, 2002

photo

This is a stout blend consisting of several grades of Virginia tobaccos with a generous measure of long-cut perique. Unflavored Green River black Cavendish and a little air-cured white burley ribbon provide fullness, body, and a bit of extra strength. Finally, an exclusive process darkens and marries the mixture, and gives the blend a subtle tin aroma of cocoa and dried fruit. The flavor is full on the palate, earthy, slightly sweet and intriguingly piquant, with overtones of figs and raisins. A wonderful and unprecedented blend for the true perique lover!

Haddo's, more than any other blend in the range, has developed an almost cult-like following. It has inspired music, written and recorded by Apalachian dulcimer performer Chris Carlisle, and even poetry!

Softer, fuller and more voluptuous than a Boticelli.
    Flavor and finesse surpassing a '29 Lafite
    Complexity that would shame a Mozart sonata.
    Haddo's, before thy diaphanous cloud, I fall prostrate!!
    -Bear Graves

If you haven't, yet, and love perique, give it a try. But, be careful, as you, too, might fall victim to its charms and begin composing sonnetts.

Haddo's Delght was introduced in August, 2000

photo

Ever since I started smoking a pipe, I've been in love with the rich fragrance of fine Cyprian Latakia. There's something warm and comforting about it; the deep blackish brown colour, the fascinating texture of the leaf, the wonderful smells of campfires and leather. It's an assertive leaf that can be, and often is, easily overdone. If the supporting tobaccos are bold enough, though, and have enough character, something BIG can be produced that still has refinement, elegance, and balance.

Odyssey is big. There's no doubt it's loaded with Latakia, but that's much more to it. Exotic oriental tobaccos abound, and wonderful matured red and jet-black stoved Virginias provide a perfect balance, both in the tin aroma and in the flavour of the dense smoke. I worked on this for months, tuning the proportions carefully until it was exactly the blend I was after

The first match yields big puffy clouds of beautiful smoke. The flavour is bold and assertive, but still refined. The Latakia's spice is balanced by the sweetness of the Virginias, and they have a marvelous conversation, while the oriental tobaccos play Baroque quartets in the background. Or, is it belly-dancing music? If you're a Latakia lover, Odyssey will surely enthrall you.

The high percentage of dark tobaccos dictate a delicate hand when packing for best smoking.

Odyssey was introduced in January, 2002

photo

For years, I've been intrigued by the idea of cigar leaf blends, but with one notable exception, nothing has really hit the mark for me, and the one that did, the celebrated Sobranie Virginia #10, has long been out of production. In mid-2000, I began flirting with different ideas, experimenting with different leaf, concocting prototypes, and quickly tiring of them, until, finally, I was shown samples of some exquisite maduro wrapper leaf that stimulated a new interest in finding my perfect cigar leaf blend. After months' worth of experimental recipes, I zeroed in on the blend I'd been searching for, and Robusto was finally born.

The cigar leaf would make an overly bold statement if blended with a heavy hand, but in just the right amounts, it provides an alluring spice, a suggestion of the richness of a great cigar, and a creamy texture to the smoke. Cyprian Latakia rounds out the flavors, and smoothes the edges. Ripe, red Virginias provides a modest sweetness while giving the blend structure. Oriental tobaccos fill in the gaps, and make Robusto a complex, full flavored and spicy mixture that is still gentle on the tongue. It's perfect with the afternoon coffee, as a delicious finish to a wonderful meal, or as a stout companion throughout the day.

And, it ages beautifully!

Robusto was introduced in November, 2002

photo

Samarra, along with Cairo, Mephisto and Renaissance, was one of the first blends to be offered under the G. L. Pease brand. In a sense, it is a refinement of Sublime Porte, a blend I produced years ago for Drucquer & Sons while working there, so it reflects a much longer history than the other blends in the line.

Despite a significant percentage of Cyprus Latakia, Samarra is not a Latakia powerhouse. It is rich and complex, relying as much upon the delicate sweetness and structure of matured red Virginias, and the exotic, fragrant nature of fine oriental leaf as it does on the smoky opulence of the Cyprian “King of Flavor.” The blend is finished with a hint of zesty lemon Virginia, adding a hint of brightness to the smoke, and a touch of perique, providing its own unique spice.

An extremely complex blend...The flavors migrate from one pleasant place to another, with none acheiving excessivee dominance...Excellent!" -P&T Magazine

Samarra is an excellent introduction to the “English Mixture” for those seeking to explore the genre, a wonderful daily smoke for those who like their Latakia in moderation, or a delightfully intriguing aperitif before dining.

Samarra was introduced March, 2000

Note:

In November, 2004, a warehouse fire consumed our supply of the exquisite vintage Syrian Latakia that was used in Renaissance, Raven's Wing and Mephisto, as well as Bohemian Scandal from the Heirloom Series. These blends have been discontinued indefinitely. If we are able to locate a new supply of Syrian leaf of sufficiently high quality, they will be reintroduced.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha ha, I spewed my coffee out my nose, arno. That is awesome!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

The Classic Collection

Abingdon

Dark, Mysterious and Full

photo

Abingdon is the fullest Balkan style blend in the collection. It is rich and robust, powerful and forthright, yet still posessing subtlety and finesse. Dark flavours of wood and leather mingle with delicate undercurrents of sweetness, and deep earthy notes, while the oriental tobaccos provide hints of their verdant, sometimes herbaceous character. A big Balkan blend, reminding us once more of what these blends used to be. Because of the high percentge of dark and oriental tobaccos, it's recommended to pack Abingdon a little less firmly than you might a lighter blend.

Abingdon was released in July, 2003

Blackpoint

Rich and Complex

photo

Blackpoint is a luxurious blend of red and lemon Virginias, Cyprian Latakia, exotic oriental tobaccos, and a perfect measure of Louisiana perique for a lively, piquant finish. The smoke is creamy and lingering, engaging the palate with a mouth-filling array of wonderful flavours. Reminiscent of raisins and stewed figs, fireplaces in the fall, walks in the forest. Blackpoint has the most complex flavor profile of any blend in the Classic Collection, making it perfect for moments of reflection and contemplation. Wonderful at any time of day, but ideal for the evenings.

Blackpoint was released in March, 2003

Charing Cross

Traditional Balkan Style

photo

Charing Cross is a traditional Balkan style blend of fine Virginia leaf, richly seasoned with smoky Cyprian Latakia, and spiced with the exquisite and exotic tobaccos of the orient. This is one for Latakia lovers. Hints of roasted cocoa beans, orange zest, green pepper and campfires. Charing Cross is slightly less full than Blackpoint, and somewhat less sweet.

Charing Cross was released in March, 2003

Kensington

Balkan with Restraint

photo

Kensington is a Balkan style blend with restraint. Bright and red Virginias are combined with richly flavoured leaf from the orient and Cyprian Latakia in perfect measure for a wonderfully balanced smoke. Slightly sweeter than Charing Cross, and not quite as full due to a more delicate hand with the Latakia. Spicy, with an occasional suggestion of orange blossom. Complex, but never ponderous. A slightly lighter variant of a classic style.

Kensington was released in March, 2003

Piccadilly

The “English Breakfast Mixture”

photo

Piccadilly is a provocative blend of several Virginia tobaccos, delicately spiced with Latakia, and finished with Louisiana perique. The alluring flavour is revealed in layers throughout the smoke. It's lighter and sweeter than the others, but still rich, with hints of cinnamon and citrus. The mildest of the blends in this collection, so far, Piccadilly is the perfect "English Breakfast Mixture."

I recently opened a four year old tin of Piccadilly, and the results of a few years' aging are fantastic. In the tin, there's a pleasant, aged tobacco aroma of dried apricots and nectarine, with hints of wood smoke, leather and coriander. The smoke is virginia sweet, elegant, and refined. It stimulates the palate without being intrusive, and it truly is a wonderful companion to the morning tea.

Piccadilly was released in March, 2003

Stratford

Delicate and Delectable

photo

Stratford is an enticing blend of delicately sweet brights and rich, ripe, red Virginia tobaccos, seasoned with just the right measure of fine Louisiana perique. The wonderfully nuanced interplay of sugar and spice is sure to delight the lover of this time honored combination. The room note is soft and subtle, the taste zesty and piquant. This is the one for the Virginia/perique fans.

Stratford was released in July, 2003

The Collection

The Classic Collection draws inspiration from some of the great tobaccos of days past. The blends offered are not meant as attempts to replicate them, but are like impressionistic paintings of those long-aged blends, designed to pay them homage and capture something of their essence. No casing sauces or added flavours are used - just pure tobaccos, carefully selected and artfully blended to bring out the best each leaf has to offer.

My Thoughts

These tobaccos have been out for several years, now, and I am still excited about them. Each stands solidly on its own, while helping to paint a larger picture. The blends range from a smooth, light, sweet Virginia, spiced with piquant perique, to a dusky, dark blend, rich with Cyprus Latakia. They evoke thoughts of some of the classic tobaccos that might have perfumed the London air in gentler times. They are presented in order of decreasing fullness. One is bound to suit your mood at any given time of day or night.

The Future

Because of the quantity and quality of the Virginia tobaccos in these blends, each will age wonderfully. Of course, the blends are ready to smoke when you get them, and though delightful and exuberant in their youth, they'll stand strong against the tests of time, aging gracefully, gaining richness, smoothness and greater complexity as the years pass.

Blackpoint and Kensington, so far, seem to show the most amazing depth of character over time. After as few as 36-40 months, they've transformed into something magical. Abingdon and Charing Cross, being fuller to start with, will take a little longer to reach that same level of maturity. Piccadilly just seems delightful at every stage of its evolution.

Give some of the blends from the collection a try now, and cellar plenty of the ones you like most for continued enjoyment over the years to come. Open a tin every six months, or even more frequently, and explore the magic that time works. Five or six years in the cellar will reward your patience with a rare and wonderful experience.

All Content Copyright © 2012, 2013 - G. L. Pease. All Rights Reserved. Use of images or text without express permission is prohibited.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

Fog City Collection

photo

Several grades of wonderful flue-cured leaf, from soft yellow to deep red, are combined with just a touch of dark-fired Kentucky for a little added richness. A special process, recovered from ancient archives, provides the finishing touch to this wonderful blend. Naturally sweet, and possessing subtle complexity, Montgomery presents delightful new dimensions for the lover of sophisticated Virginia blends.

Montgomery was released in March, 2005.

photo

A sturdy foundation of Virginia tobaccos, each chosen for its particular character, is enhanced with fine flakes of perique for a refined smoking experience. Telegraph Hill is rich and flavorful, with a satisfying, lingering finish. Each sip builds upon the last, creating a marvelous edifice of taste and aroma. You won't worry about earthquakes if your pipe is filled with this wonderful blend.

Telegraph Hill was released in May, 2005.

photo

Named for the famed winding, twisting street in San Francisco, Lombard starts with a base of red and bright Virginias. It is then enhanced with American “condimental” leaf, including an angel's share of perique. The twist in this Lombard? A delicate breath of Cyprus Latakia is added for a whisper of smokiness and a slightly deeper flavor. A gentle introduction to Latakia for the Virginia smoker, or just a delightful change of pace.

Lombard was released in August, 2005.

photo

An alluring assortment of exotic oriental tobaccos is generously blended with bright and red Virginia leaf. Finally, just enough Cyprus Latakia is added to provide an alluring smokiness, resulting in a tobacco that can best be described as a light-medium Balkan mixture. This is the blend for gentlemen with a Bohemian spirit and a sense of adventure.

Ashbury was released in October, 2005.

photo

Rich, ripe, red leaf forms the base of this wonderful Virginia blend. The flavours are deep and round, with a smooth, natural sweetness, and subtle notes of orange peel, roasted oats, leather and peat. The smoke develops richness as it progresses, delivering a long, clean finish that is never cloying or syrupy, with hints of malt and grapefruit. For lovers of darker, natural, unstoved Virginias.

Laurel Heights was released in March, 2006.

photo

A thick-sliced broken flake in the Scottish tradition. Ripe red Virginia tobaccos are combined with a generous measure of fine Louisiana perique, and then pressed to marry the components and deepen the flavors. The cakes are sliced and gently broken before tinning. Fillmore presents an elegant sweetness and delightful piquancy, enhanced by a creamy richness that develops throughout the bowl. Sit back, and enjoy a lovely, leisurely smoke.

Fillmore was released in June, 2006.

photo

Rich, ripe red virginias are combined with top-grade Izmir leaf, pressed and aged in cakes, then sliced into flakes and tinned. The result is a wonderfully fragrant, natural blend with subdued sweetness, more brut than demi-sec, delightful toasty flavors, and hints of nuttiness and roasted coffee. Satisfying and refreshing; a comforting smoke, with enough complexity to keep it interesting.

Embarcadero was released in July, 2007.

photo

The latest entry in the Fog City Selection, and our first 100% virginia tobacco, Union Square is a blended sliced cake of high-grade flue cured leaf, from beautiful, sweet brights to deep, earthy reds, without the added sugars, sauces, flavourings and top-dressings common to many other VA flakes. It is rich on the palate, with the clean sweetness of natural tobaccos, a pleasant room note, and a delightful finish. For those seeking a pure virginia experience, this is the one to try.

Union Square was released in May, 2009.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

Old London Series

Sixpence

From the label:

You enter the dark paneled room, its walls lined with ancient books. An antique table stands beside a leather club chair. Upon it, next to a small silver coin, an open tobacco tin entices you with an aroma deep, rich, authentic. You fill your bowl, strike a match. The first puff stops time as the smoky magic weaves its spell...
    Sixpence. The mystery continues.

Sixpence is a rich flake comprising a base of beautiful red virginias, a generous portion of perique, and just a bit of dark-fired leaf to add body and dimension. The tobaccos are delicately kissed with special spirit, then pressed and aged in cakes before being sliced and tinned. The taste and aroma are deep, full and satisfying, reminiscent of traditional tobaccos from long ago.

The leaf has been carefully selected and composed to perfect harmony from first light to the wonderful crescendo of the last puff, holding the smoker's interest throughout the bowl, while developing increasing nuances with each puff, without fatiguing the palate. Virginia lovers craving something bold and robust, as well as devotées of mixtures who enjoy virginias as a change of pace will find their reward in every bowl of Sixpence.

As with all G.L. Pease blends, this one will age beautifully in the tin, developing added complexity and refinement through the passing years.

Sixpence was introduced in November, 2014

Gaslight

From the label:

On a misty, moonless night, along twisted cobblestone lanes illuminated only by the glow of ancient iron lanterns, you follow a scent as dark as the night itself, the exotic fragrance hauntingly familiar, compelling, irresistible...

Open the tin. Discover the mystery.

Gaslight is the seventh blend to join the Old London Series, and is a bit of a departure. A classically English styled Latakia mixture, pressed and aged in cakes, then cut and delivered in one-ounce bars. Easier to handle then the two-ounce brownies of JackKnife and Triple Play, these bars are sliced easily, and rub out effortlessly. Deep, rich and full flavoured, Gaslight burns very slowly, delivering a lingering, satisfying smoke for the true connoisseur of Latakia based blends. The red virginias present a background of natural sweetness, whilst fine orientals provide just the right amount of spice. I like it best sliced thinly, rubbed out and packed loosely in smaller bowls for a satisfying, surprisingly long-lasting smoke.

Gaslight was introduced in October, 2013

Navigator

From the label:

For centuries, men of the sea have known the pleaures of fine Virginia tobaccos, pressed and aged with a drop of rum. The addition of rich dark-fired Kentucky leaf brings a new dimension to the flavour and aroma of this timeless combination. Chart your course for a new world of enjoyment, light a bowl, and set sail with Navigator

Navigator, the sixth blend to join the Old London Series, has been created specifically for the fancier of fuller-bodied, but still well-balanced and sophisticated flakes. The addition of a bit of dark-fired leaf brings depth and complexity to the party, a touch of rum makes the red and bright flue-cured tobaccos dance, enhancing their natural fruitiness and polishing the edges. The pressing and aging in cakes brings it all together into seamless harmony.

As with Sextant, the flakes are easily broken and rubbed out to your preference. The smoke develops beautifully in the bowl, each sip satisfying, rich, and perfectly balanced.

Navigator was introduced in December, 2012

Sextant

From the label:

A classic mixture harmoniously married to a Navy flake. Ripe Virginia tobaccos are first blended with Cypriot Latakia, fine Orientals, and a touch of dark-fired Kentucky leaf, then infused with a hint of dark rum before being gently pressed, matured, and sliced. The flavour is rich, bold and satisfying; the aroma an enchanting interweaving of traditions.

The fifth entry in the Old London Series, Sextant, defies categorization somewhat. While it has many similarities to a conventional, traditional mixture, the infusion of dark rum, and the addition of fire-cured Kentucky, especially when combined with the pressing and fermentation that occurs as a result, give it a unique sweetness and aroma. The rum offers a subtle but engaging contribution throughout the smoke, which is rich, deep and complex. It is not an aromatic, for those who are wondering, nor can it be considered the typical sort of "crossover" mixture. It truly is the seamless integration of a traditional mixture with what many think of as a Navy Flake.

The flakes are not firmly packed, but are kept looser than a conventional flake, and therefore easily broken. If pressed tightly for too long, the overall character, especially of the Latakia, would soften too much, and some of the liveliness would go missing. Holding it just long enough to integrate the flavours is the key, the reult being a highly satsifying and refreshing new mixture.

Sextant was introduced in April, 2012

Lagonda

From the label:

A luxurious blend comprising generous portions of Cyprus latakia, ripe red virginias and fine oriental leaf with a bit of bright added for a hint of gentle sweetness. Pressing and aging in cakes integrates the flavours and partially ferments the tobaccos. The cakes are then sliced and tumbled into ribbons, ready for your enjoyment.

Lagonda is the latest entry in the Old London Series, and though it shares production methods with its siblings, Chelsea Morning and Meridian, it's nevertheless all new.

Lagonda carries a higher proportion of Cyprus Latakia than the previous blends in the series, and a more pronounced oriental component. It's spicy, but not aggressively so, and dry, in the sense of not being sweet. It's a savory misture with mouth-filling flavours, and a wonderful aroma, both in the tin and in the air when it's smoked. The virginias give the mixture legs to stand on, but aren't the dominant note. Despite it's big flavours, the blend maintains finesse and balance, which was a bit of a challenge with something so full-bodied. It has a lot to offer, but doesn't overpower. It'll age beautifully, but is smoking fantastically right out of the gate.

If I sound like a proud papa, it's because I am. Like any child, this one took some interesting turns during the early stages of its development, sometimes making me think it had a mind of its own, and it would never grow up to amount to anything. But, it did, and the result is even more than I was hoping for when I first started on it. If you've enjoyed the other blends in the series, you'll love this one. If you've been a fan of mixtures like Westminster, Abingndon, or Charing Cross, you'll also find something really enjoyable here. If you're used to somewhat sweeter mixtures, like Maltese Falcon, you should still give Lagonda a go. It's lovely stuff.

Lagonda

Lagonda was introduced in July, 2011

Meridian

From the label:

Meridian - balanced, poised & sophisticated. Cyprus Latakia is layered with fine virginia tobaccos and small leaf orientals, then pressed, sliced and tumbled into ribbons. More savory than sweet, with classic structure, medium body, and captivating complexity, Meridian is the perfect companion for a mid-day stroll or with the afternoon tea.

Meridian is the third entry in the Old London Series. A classically styled blend that's wonderful when young, but with a good backbone for longer aging. It's a medium-full mixture, with flavours that evoke memories of some of the great Latakia blends from days gone by. Red and orange virginias are joined by a generous, but not overwhelming measure of Cyprian leaf, for a wonderfully earthy foundation. The spicy/sweet oriental tobaccos add fullness, and an exquisite aroma. Not as "big" or as full as Westminster, but similar in style. An excellent blend for a relaxing afternoon smoke, or as a delightful amuse bouche before dinner.

Meridian was introduced in October, 2010

Quiet Nights

Quiet Nights - rich, deep, contemplative. Ripe red virginias, fine orientals, smoky Cyprus latakia, and a pinch of Acadian perique are pressed and matured in cakes before being sliced. The sophisticated flavors and exotic aroma provide a wonderful backdrop for quiet moments of reflection, a good book, and if you are so inclined, perhaps a wee dram.

This is the second entry in the Old London Series. This one is fuller and somewhat more Latakia-forward than Chelsea Morning, with a higher percentage orientals, and less perique. It's rich, complex, leathery and smoky, with a naturally sweet structure from the darker virginias, and a balanced oriental spice. It compares in strength and fullness with blends like Samarra and Blackpoint, but the pressing makes it deeper, darker, and brings new dimensions to the flavours and aromas. It's really wonderful. An ideal addition to the series, perfectly complimenting a relaxing evening.

Quiet Nights was introduced in May, 2010

Chelsea Morning

Chelsea Morning is made from a variety of sweet red and bright virginias, fragrant orientals, a small measure of rich Cyprus Latakia, and a pinch of L.A. Poche’s brilliant Acadian perique. It is an easy to pack, easy to smoke tobacco, and a great blend to start the day with your morning cup. The flavours are lively and engaging, with a subtle fruitiness and gentle smokiness that wakes up the palate. For those expecting a Latakia powerhouse, this ain’t that. The Cyprus leaf provides depth and character; it’s certainly present, but it’s not the dominant voice. In that respect, Chelsea Morning is similar to Piccadilly, the ‘English Breakfast Mixture’ from the Classic Collection, but, it’s also very different; the orientals add additional dimensions to the smoke. It's really a delightful blend.

Of course, it would be silly to say that it’s only enjoyable in the mornings, but to my tastes, that’s when it shines its brightest. I’m very excited about this new blend, and the entire series, which I'll be finishing up over the coming months, and releasing as they're ready to go.

And, just because I know someone will ask, no, it is not a ‘clone’ of that other famous tobacco with ‘Morning’ in its name. But, if you liked that one, you should certainly give Chelsea Morning a try. It's already getting some great reviews!

Chelsea Morning was introduced in October, 2009

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

Oooh, thanks pipebuddy!

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

New World Collection

JackKnife ReadyRubbed

For those who like the idea of the original JackKnife Plug, but don't want to fuss with the cutting, the same great blend is available in a ready-rubbed form. Now, you can take JackKnife ReadyRubbed with you on the go.

The constituent tobaccos are pressed into blocks, held under full pressure for several days to allow the flavors to integrate, and a gentle fermentation to take place. The blocks are then cut, and the slices tumbled into its final form.

Even though the recipe is the same as the plug's, the smoking experience of this version is slightly different. The virginia flavors are a bit more up front, with more subtle, deeper notes in the background. JKRR is an easy packing, rich virginia blend that offers a deep, satisfying smoke.

JackKnife ReadyRubbed was introduced in November, 2011.

Triple Play

Triple Play — Ripe red and bright flue-cured tobaccos are joined by piquant Acadian perique, and a balanced measure of smoky, dark-fired Kentucky. The leaf is pressed and matured in cakes before being cut into 2oz bars, resulting in a bold blend for virginia and periqe fans. This all-American plug is a winning play, no matter how you slice it.

(More coming... Meanwhile, check out Kevin Godbee's excellent review in PipesMagazine.com.

Triple Play was introduced in May, 2011.

JackKnife Plug

The first blend in the New World Collection from G.L. Pease, JackKnife Plug is an all natural blend of dark-fired Kentucky leaf, and ripe, red Virginia tobaccos, layered on a central core of golden flue-cured leaf, providing deep, earthy flavors with a hint of bright sweetness. The tobaccos are pressed and matured in cakes before being cut into 2oz blocks. JackKnife is a stout blend. The dark-fired leaf adds a subtle smokiness and a subtle finish reminiscent of dark chocolate, while the Virginia tobaccos provide a sturdy backbone.

While other producers would simply mix the leaf before pressing, my choice to separate the dark-fired and red virginias from the core of bright is not just an aesthetic one. I wanted the bright's flavours to retain some of their clarity, mingling on the palate with the deeper tastes, not in the plug. Producing it this way is more difficult, but the result makes it worthwhile. The visual difference is not as obvious as it would be if the cakes were not given time to age, as the tobaccos all darken during the fermentation, but the subtle contribution to the overall taste profile remains.

Slice it thick and rub it out for a ribbon cut, thin for a shag, or chop it into cubes. The choice is yours.

JackKnife Plug was introducd in January, 2011.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

Heirloom Collection

Key Largo

In the 15th April issue of the News, I mentioned a new blend, which at the time was "code named" Maduro Cut Cake. It wasn't a very imaginative name, though it was at least somewhat descriptive. A darkish blend incorporating a little cigar leaf, pressed into cakes, and sliced. See? Not very imaginative. But, it provided me something to call it, other than, "this new prototype with cigar leaf," and as I let people at shows sample it, the response was very positive.

Finally, some weeks later, a friend emailed me, writing, "Why don't you call it Key Largo?" It was perfect. A classic, in keeping with the theme established by Maltese Falcon, with a tropical feel, and there's more than a little cigar smoking depicted in the film.

Names lead to concepts which lead to artwork, and once again, illustrator and designer extraordinaire Daniel Bertalotto, of DOXA, did his usual fantastic job with the label art. I think it's really stunning. But, what about the tobacco? Now that it's finally on the shelves, I guess I should say a few more words about it here, for those who don't read the News page.

Key Largo is full of surprises. It's got wonderful, layered flavours of rich Virginias, oriental tobaccos, including a little Cypriot Latakia, and hints of earthy spice from the cigar leaf. It presents a creamy, delicious smoke, with a softer room aroma than might be expected from the ingredients. It's refreshing, yet full-bodied and satisfying. I've been enjoying the prototypes through three seasons, but it seems exceptionally well suited to our late summer smoking. This is a unique blend, and defies the usual classification. It's neither an "English Mixture," nor a Virginia, nor is it just another cigar-leaf blend, yet it offers something of each. Maybe someone else can find a pigeonhole for Key Largo to roost in, but I cannot.

I expect this one to age beautifully over at least the next couple decades. It'll develop increased fruitiness and complexity during the first year or so, and real magic will occur after five or six. And, yes, the coffee mug is available.

Key Largo was introducd in July, 2008

Maltese Falcon

I first began writing about Maltese Falcon in early November, and now, I'm excited to the point of bursting to announce that it is finally winging its way to the tobacconists' shelves.

This one sports a brand new look, thanks to the creative direction of my dear friend Neill Archer Roan, and a brilliant realization of Neill's direction by designer and illustrator Daniel Bertalotto of DOXA. The label is gorgeous, but it's what's inside that counts, right?

Originally conceived as a replacement for the old Raven's Wing, Maltese Falcon quickly evolved into something bigger. It's a rich, bold blend, with excellent body, a beguiling sweetness, and solid structure, ideal for those who enjoy a sophisticated, yet comfortable and refined English-style mixture.

Maltese Falcon was introducd in January, 2008

Westminster

photo
    Westminster is taking the world by storm, or at least some small part of the world. From the tin, “The very essence of the traditional English mixture; rich, elegant, refined, and exquisitely balanced. New World red virginias are enhanced with a gentle caress of bright leaf, then lavishly seasoned with rich oriental tobaccos and generous measures of noble Cyprus mountain Latakia. A satisfying blend, presenting layers of flavor to delight the senses as it develops in the bowl. The perfect every-day English.” - This one has been getting fantastic reviews in the wonderful tobaccoreviews.com webbase. Give them a read! Or, read the story about it's development, On the Road to Westminster in The Briar and Leaf Chronicles.
    Westminster was introducd in January, 2007

Bohemian Scandal

photo

“Perhaps my own personal Arcadia...

“I have been bested by this most seductive Lady Nicotine. The others? I've loved them all, but never like this. They are like young birds, to be taught to fly, and set out into the world. They are my children, and I love them equally.

“This one, though, is different. She brought more to me than I could give her in return. She teased me with her exotic ways. She promised a taste, and delivered a feast.

“At night, I lie with her smoky kiss upon my lips; her perfume lingers about me, filling my head with reverie. As the sweet arms of Morpheus carry me to the abodes of slumber, I look forward to dreams of her. In the morning, I rise to thoughts of her, swirling through the fog of awakening. All through the day, she fills my thoughts. When I am with her, she consumes me. When she is absent, I long for her. Barrie can have his; this is my Lady, my Arcadia, my Queen.

“As I wander in my mind through the ancient streets of Bohemia, she is my companion. She dances in the mist, and plays a coy game of hide and seek, though I know the light of a match will reveal her again to dance and twirl before me. She enthralls those who chance upon her, but, for now, she is mine alone. Yet, she, too, is a bird to be set free. Enjoy her company. Treat her well, and she will show you what she showed me...”

Nearly a year in the making, this blend, the first in the new Heirloom Series, features some truly magnificent Syrian Latakia, possibly the finest example of this exotic leaf that's been seen in 40 years. When we arranged for its import, and the first samples arrived, I fell quickly and deeply for it; Bohemian Scandal is the love child of our little tryst. The Syrian is wine-like, possessing subtlety and nuances that would be easily lost to a heavy hand at the blending table. I chose bright and red Virginias, and rare oriental tobaccos to compliment the spice of the Latakia; hints of cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon are present, along with a gentle smokiness. A soft, slightly tangy sweetness continues throughout the bowl, with the complex, earthy notes from the oriental tobaccos providing depth. The flavor is bold enough for casual smoking, but sufficiently refined to be engaging during more contemplative moods. Wonderfully balanced, it is excellent in its youth, yet sturdy enough for long aging. Enjoy it now, and be sure to cellar plenty for future adventures.

Reviews are available on Jon Tillman's wonderful Tobacco Reviews web site. My deepest appreciation to those who have taken the time to share their impressions of my latest creation!

Regretfully, Bohemian Scandal is no longer available. See the 23 September, 2004 news for more details.

Bohemian Scandal was introduced in August, 2004

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

Bah, it's nothing, old boy. I'm too lazy, though, to attach the pictures of each tin.

Arno, that's hilarious!

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...the Dutch kiddies throwing their wooden shoes into the machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   drrock, cosmicfolklore, ben88, samw74, voorhees, pepesdad1, p40warhawk, tonym99, armonts, lightxmyfire, greeneyes, charmcitygentleman, seldom, the85boro, orlandofurioso, bluegrassbrian, dukdalf, lawdawg