PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I just received an 8-ounce tin of Quiet Nights from SP. The first impression is that it's nice and smokey with a nice taste of Latakia but not overpowering. I like it. When I opened the tin I intended to transfer it to a screw-top jar but see that the long slices of tobacco are laid out in a series of paper layers, each with tabs to provide access. Nothing wrong with that but I have not seen tobacco packaged like that before. Probably some of you more expert gentlemen can tell me why this is. It does discourage me from dumping it out and putting it into a glass jar. The tin is solid metal rather than foil-covered cardboard so I suppose it will cellar alright as is.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have seen this with most of the GLP 8 oz tins except for ribbon cut. It appears to be roughly separating it out in 2 oz sections. Why do they do it? Perhaps to keep the flakes more intact. Not sure. But I really like it. Makes transferring it to a mason/ball jar much easier. And no need for weighing. I've weighed enough of them to know it is close enough to 2 oz for my purposes.
I just jarred up around 15 of the GLP 8 oz tins a couple of weeks ago. Actually had 2 one pound tins of Westminster which is ribbon cut and didn't have the separators. Was a PITA as the tobacco was packed in rather tightly.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Haven't tried Quiet Nights, but look forward to doing so soon.
Hoosier - Do you cellar Westminster for aging or just for a rainy day (or both, I suppose)? I ask because somebody offered me a couple 2018 tins for a good price, but I'm not sure whether to grab them or not. I like it new, especially the sweetness, but it's a little rough to my taste. I don't have the vocabulary yet to explain what I mean. I guess the latakia seems kind of alkaline, and I get some bitey-ness and some furry tongue from something in there - if that makes any sense. What does aging do to it in your experience?

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
QN is good fresh but a little sharp to my taste. After letting it sit for 6 months it develops into a smoother tobacco.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Enjoying some QN "as we speak". This 2 oz tin is about 4 months old and I just emptied the last of it. I usually just open the tin and keep the tobacco in the tin unless I'm going to store it for a long period of time. I like letting QN dry out naturally in the tin as I think the flavors are more pronounced with a drier tobacco and it always arrives with a heavy enough moisture content to allow this.
Overall, this is one of my favorite tobaccos.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's a broken flake in a tin. It's a really well blended English broken flake in a tin. It's always been a slightly more Virginia/Latakia forward Penzance to me... a little sweeter and smokier... with maybe only one Oriental leaf. G.L. Pease is a master. I mean... dark Lord master levels.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Trubka, I cellar for two primary reasons. One is to age it. The majority of aged tobacco I've smoked has improved. I like new Westminster but I'll bet at 5 years it will be awesome. Smoking a tin of 5 year old Chelsea Morning presently that is really, really good.
The other reason is to make sure I have it to smoke down the road. I'm cellaring Virginia blends way deeper as Virginias ages better than latakia. However, what if the rumors regarding Cyprian latakia are true? Or any number of other things regarding tobacco? I'd rather smoke some 15 year old Westminster with the latakia diminished vs not having any to smoke at all.
I would add, a pound tin sells for around $65. So 2 pounds for $130. Not much risk to buying and cellaring it is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.